If these movies are so bad why do people keep watching them?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Shizuka, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    This is just an exercise in logic.

Every single time people complain about how the movie is bad... but then watch the next one. Let's take away the people who have kids, there are a large number of people who hate he movies and yet feel compelled to watch them just so they can complain. I don't understand.

Also on a related note, surely in this case money is an indicator that the films are liked by the majority because if the films were so unwatchable why are people spending their money again and again? If DOTM was so bad why did it make a billion dollars? If DOTM was so bad why did these people go and watch AOE and have it earn another billion dollars.

It's like the argument contradicts the evidence.

2. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Train wreck theory.

Something so bad yet you can't stop watching.

3. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    This, this is a question I've asked quite a number of times and people ignore it.

My guess is they either want to watch complain, or they want to see if there's any improvement?

4. solusprime19

solusprime19 Disney, Dat knee

they watch it because deep down inside, they like it.

they just don't wanna say it out loud.

5. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    I wish they wouldn't watch it. It make my tits go crazy.

jk.

6. transformervic1

transformervic1 HI!

News Credits:
    Well, from what I've seen posted before about this argument, it has to do with the fact they're "tricked" into watching the new film because the filmmakers promise it's an improvement over the last movie (which is ridiculous because you should know what you're getting into at this point). I'm not saying they watch it "just to complain", because they have the right to watch it, but IMO I don't watch anything new in a series I don't like. But hey, to each their own.

7. Autobots14

Autobots14 I'm pregant Trevor

Because they think that the marketing of the movies hypnotizes them into watching the movies.

8. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 What to type here?

News Credits:
    this is a joke, right?

9. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

For Transformers fans there is always someone trying to play the fan card to make you feel like less of a Transformers fan in general if you don't watch the films. Other people have used the friend card to say hey I thought we were buddies so why can't you take my word that everything is good this time.

Some people might still be running on the hope that one day the film makers are going to get everything right. So many people thought that with a live action film under their belt that the production team will have learned so much from the first film that Revenge of the Fallen should knock it out of the park. When they marketed Dark of the Moon the production team claimed they learned from Revenge of the Fallen so everything is right this time. Age of Extinction marketed Dinobots hard so it might have seemed like it was going to be fan friendly if they were going to offer fans Dinobots.

While I'm sure this will make some people angry the ugly horrible truth is a large chunk of the general population of the world just doesn't give a damn about quality. How many well made films failed to make a lot of money at the box office? How many people have watched a bad Adam Sandler film? If marketing and hype aren't a factor do you think that many people would have seen Avatar? If people only watched the highest quality films then how could B movies be such cult classics?

While it's tempting to say quality is the only factor it's just not the case that quality is the only factor. If quality was the only factor for a film then domestically shouldn't Dark of the Moon have made more money than Revenge of the Fallen? If quality was the only factor then was Age of Extinction really the worst Transformers film released in the US?

10. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Too dedicated to the franchise, easily tricked by marketing, hope? Most likely it's just because people who want another director want continued proof that Bay is doing a bad job until he's replaced.

11. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Two reasons:

#1: People are inclined to waych things that are dumb and/ or awful, sometimes just out of boredom. How many times have you clicked on a "click bait"-type news article that says something like "Hear 80 year old man's touching last words!!", or "5 year old's cat dies of cancer-watch his heart breaking reaction!" Are these things good, even though people watch them? No but you just HAVE to see how the cute little boy handles his cat passing away- even though you know how it's going to go anyway.

#2. They DIDN'T make as much money as you think. As best I understand it, AoE made LESS than all the other TF movies...in America. All that money is just coming from China, since it was pandered to them. It really made diddly squat here.

12. Beastwarsfan95

Beastwarsfan95 What to type here?

News Credits:
    AOE is like a sandwhich held together by fishing line and wrapped in a shiny aluminum wrapper. A wrapper covered in product ads.

One you peel off the hype (the aluminum wrapper) you see that it's really not quite up to par. Then you take a better look at the plot (the fishing line) once that is taken off, the whole movie falls apart. And instead of beef or ham, you see that the core of the sand which is (insert chinese food).

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Because they're fun and entertining and we're are the only ones that take them as seriously as we do. They're dumb and not good, but they're enjoyable.

14. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    So it made money then. The domestic box office isn't the only thing it can make money on.

15. Murasame

Murasame

News Credits:
    You can watch these for entertainment, if you shut up your brain. But they are bad Transformers movies. Simple as that. And there is still hope, they might be one day good.

Also... if people weren't watching the movie and complained, you people would say "How can you say the movie is bad, if you haven't seen it?"

So... ;) 

Most movies make more money outside of America. Because, you know, the rest of the world is bigger than America. ;) 
    I never understood that logic. Movies often get titled as a flop and don't get a sequel because they were a bomb at america's box office. But were a hit anywhere else in the world and made much more money that was used for producing the movie. But they only look at the box office numbers of the us... huh?!

16. Stryker055

Stryker055 History Man Extraordinare

Quality of a film does not determine, nor is it determined by a film's popularity.

They're not good movies at all, but I watch them because A) I still have hope they'll get better, B) it's Transformers, and C) they're stupid dumb movies that I can make fun of.

17. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    I'm a little baffled at how some people view the American gross to be a separate entity from the worldwide gross. The American gross is just a part of the worldwide gross.

18. solusprime19

duh.

19. solusprime19

yes. YES.

why must the media judge?

20. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

You have to consider them separately because the box office take for the studio is not equal.

For big films in the United States the usual cut is for the studio to get almost all of the opening weekend take. Even after the opening weekend the studios still get a good deal of the box office from the theaters. That's why they charge you an insane amounts for soda, popcorn, and candy because so much of that ticket is going to a studio.

Outside of the United States and Canada a Hollywood movie only sees about 5 to 10 cents of each box office dollar. So $700 million outside of the United States only gets a studio about $7 million.

China has to be considered separately for Age of Extinction because it qualified as a co-production so Paramount gets a much larger cut of the Chinese box office on Age of Extinction than they did for any of the other Transformers films.

The US box office is also considered important because not only is it the theatrical release to make money but the DVD, Blu-Ray, streaming revenue is also important for the studios to show a profit. But in a nation like China there isn't a strong legal DVD market for Hollywood films so a film that is highly appealing to Americans is still a factor for Hollywood studios.