If the Writer's Strike didn't Happen

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Prime17, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Prime17

Prime17 Seeker

News Credits:
    It seems all the major critisisms of the movies all started with ROTF. As we all know ROTF was rushed because of the Writer's Strike. (They were still working on it a couple hours before the premiere in Tokyo). This led to many plot ideas being badly combined together such as the last shards of the Allspark, Megatron returning, The Fallen, and the Decepticons having their revenge. So I started to wonder if the Writer's Strike didn't happen and ROTF wasn't rushed, would the movies be as panned as they are by many critics today? What do you think?

2. NotRamjet97

NotRamjet97 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I believe it would have been better, yes. As a writer, the first thing you write generally ain't gonna be a masterpiece, you need to develop it and cut some parts out, and they didn't have the time.

3. autobot slapper

autobot slapper Banned

I think ROTF would have been a lot better! But Bay would have to cut all the stupid Sam's mum crap as well!

This film could have been dark and awesome! But unfortunately, it was quite bad. (I actually don't mind the film, so im not that bothered like everyone else).

4. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Same movie.

I genuinely believe the writer's strike is just an excuse because that was the best that they could do.

5. Decepticons

Decepticons B∆K. Bug-a-Boo Ghost.

News Credits:
    ROTF would've been better. I liked it, so I don't really care.

It seems people hold ROTF on a pedestal as a representative of the movieverse.

6. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    If DotM and AoE are any indication, RotF wouldn't be significantly different if there was no writer's strike. Not to mention the first one garnered a lot of criticisms itself, and that sequels often tend to be less well received anyways.

7. Prime17

Prime17 Seeker

News Credits:
    Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Orci and Kurtzman had like 2 weeks to write the script? This leads me to think if they had more time they could have sort out a lot of the stuff.

I don't really think so since DOTM and AOE were sort of a reaction to the criticism of ROFT and we're trying to make up for the mistakes of it. And despite the criticism of the first one, it still had mostly positive to mixed reviews.

8. Galvatron II

Galvatron II I can type whatever here?

Considering the first one is also awful (just not as awful), I doubt it would've made much of a difference.

9. Ironhide1234

Ironhide1234 Here.

News Credits:
    It would've been WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY better. I think they should have scraped what they did come up with once the strike began. After the strike they should have started fresh and panned out ideas carefully.

10. Hotshotprime43

Hotshotprime43 Well-Known Member

I think it would make a difference. Now the real question is what if ROTF was erased from everyone minds and then people watch DOTM and AOE.

11. autobot slapper

autobot slapper Banned

Just finished watching ROTF, and I enjoyed it as always! ;) 

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have been the absolute worst had Kurtzman, Orci and Krueger had more time.

Though this does make me wonder how Kurtzman and Orci were able to make a solid Star Trek script in that same time. Before you go on about how the reboot films suck....it's critically acclaimed by critics.

13. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    Yup, agreed. Let's remember that the strike "wasn't a problem" when making the movie - we were given that assurance again & again - but then became THE go-to scapegoat once that train wreck was released and subsequently ripped apart for how bad it sucked. Then all of sudden it was because of the strike. That, and Bay and his "writers" stated from day one that they wanted to make an Indiana Jones esque TF movie, so what we got is what we still would have got even without the strike. No amount of more writing would have saved all of those terrible, terrible, terrible ideas from still being put forth.

14. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I think while the writer's strike was a factor in the poor plot of Revenge of the Fallen, I do not think it would have been all that much better had the strike not interrupted.

Revenge of the Fallen was a phenomenally complicated movie with far too much going on - far too ambitious for its own good. We had three major plot threads in there:

1. The resurrection and revenge of Megatron
    2. The death and rebirth of Optimus Prime
    3. The introduction of the mysticism of the Transformers - The Fallen, the original Primes, and the Matrix.

On top of those major plot threads you had a bunch of character arcs, involving Sam's growth as a character and his relationship woes with Mikaela, Sam going to college and leaving his home behind, etc.

Ignore the character arcs for the moment. You've got three huge plot threads running through the movie. Megatron's return or The Fallen could easily have been done as their own movies - did Megatron even need to come back for example, or could The Fallen have been dropped for a simpler "resurrection of Megatron, Optimus is slain, race to recover the artifact" plot?

Ultimately, had the strike not happened, RotF would have still been a choppy movie. The only things that probably would have been different would have been that things like the railgun deus ex machina might have had more foreshadowing, or things like The Fallen's inability to leave the ship until Optimus was destroyed might have been covered.

In other words, same basic production. Just a tighter and more polished script.