If the 07' movie was never created, what would the franchise be like today?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by TheWarPathGuy, Aug 5, 2019.

1. eltonlin98

eltonlin98 are you compensating for something, talking down?

News Credits:
    Don't you know, 21 years is now an appropriate age to be senile

• Like Like x 2
  2. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 XYxInfinity

News Credits:
    Whether we like it or not(I'm with the latter), the Bayformers did give an additional jump start/life infusion into the franchise. I knew a lot of people who wouldn't know a decepticon until it bit them in their butz now being into TFs. So it's the casual movie goers who got the TF itch for plastic crack. How many? Don't have an idea but anecdotal a lot. How die hard were they? That I don't know as I'm in for the long haul with TFs.

Not all of us( well, I'm one of them who did grow up with) grew up with G1 and BW. So the more fans the merrier. Too bad after the 1st movie the Movies went downhill. Saving grace was the BB Movie which is a NOT reboot :) confused:) 

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ChaosDonkey

ChaosDonkey Lord Brain

all depends on hasbro.
    If they don't find a media to promote the toys like computer games. I think the TF would slowly die out due to kids today buying less toys, and turn into more of overpriced collectors items created for grown-ups. And hasbro would primarily work with licensed toys, like Disney, fortnite and so on.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 XYxInfinity

News Credits:
    In one of my Shout videos/Rhino, it seems that HB was scraping down their empty barrels to get a into the black. So they went back to their old and neglected franchises and dug out TF again (good decision), too bad with G.I. Joe though, (I'd sell an arm and a leg for the vintage vehicle/ base sets HB used to release.

5. daniel 97

daniel 97 Autobots' second in command

News Credits:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It would've definitely been very different for sure. Although I am not exactly certain what it would look like today.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper

News Credits:
    This.

If the 2007 movie never happened but we’re just getting the first Transformers live action movie now, (in 2019), and if hasbro took the time to put a solid team, crew & a really good director- let’s say the movie is starting off with bumblebee directed by Travis Knight, most likely we are going to be talking about mcu levels of critical and financial success.

• Like Like x 2
  7. rodimuspm

rodimuspm Well-Known Member

I DISAGREE WITH YOUR STATEMENT 100%. AFTER THE UNICRON TRILOGIES, THE TRANSFORMERS BRAND WAS ABOUT TO HIT ROCK BOTTOM AGAIN LIKE IT DID IN THE EARLY 90S. 2007 MOVIE GAVE THE FRANCHISE A BOOST TO THE YOUNGER GENERATION AS WELL AS G1 LIKE MYSELF. AS OF RIGHT NOW, THE TRANSFORMERS UNIVERSE IS IN DISARRAY BECAUSE HASBRO EXECUTIVES DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE DOING! TRANSFORMERS PRIME WAS THE BEST ANIMATED SHOW THAT CAME OUT SINCE BEAST WAR, SO I DONT KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOUR THINKING ABOUT! Like I said earlier, the transformers brand as of right now is in DISARRAY because the Hasbro executives dont know which direction to go, if they would have left idw comics along, they wouldn't have to start the storyline back over. And as far as the movie universe goes, Bumblebee movie should have been the reboot to get the franchise started back up.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Incorrect. If the franchise was on such shaky legs after Cybertron, even though Cybertron was highly profitable for Hasbro, the the franchise would have crashed in 2006. You know why? Because the film got pushed back a year and Hasbro had no media to fill the gap. That's why they created the original Classics line to fill the gap, but as proven time and again, appealing exclusively to the adult collector market never works. And yet Classics 2006, which was nothing but G1 characters updated to then-current standards, sold so well that it was the main reason Universe 2008 happened. And then Generations after that.

Yes, the films gave the franchise a massive boost but to act like it was a do-or-die thing is a vast overstatement.

I do agree that the executives are spinning their wheels, but that's the only thing you got right. Prime was a total disaster and part of the reason Hasbro is scared of doing anything that isn't G1, because they lost so much control over aligned thanks to Prime derailing everything - and I've gone over why Prime is overrated trash numerous times elsewhere so I'll skip that subject for now.

Also, I doubt you've even seen Animated if you think Beast Wars was the last truly great cartoon TF series before Prime.

Hasbro DID leave IDW alone - that's why IDW didn't reboot back in the early 2010s to force the new 'aligned' backstory into the ongoings.

• Like Like x 4
  9. SuperRock7

SuperRock7 Gone for some milk

News Credits:
    2007 was my first introduction to Transformers. So I’d guess I’d probably never be a TF fan without it. :confused: 

• Like Like x 6
  10. CyberstormSM

CyberstormSM Turbo-Revvin' Young Punk

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Relax, man. There's no need for excessive usage of caps lock here.

• Like Like x 12
  11. Sablebot

Sablebot #thinkitaintillegalyet

Agreed 1000%. Selective propagandized memory is a helluva drug, especially with the many who equate Bay's entry into the TF universe to some Son-of-Man-sized act of salvation . It is not. . .It is what it is, what it was, and again shall be-nothing more and certainly nothing less. More like a trip to Jonestown.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  12. ArcanielRE3

ArcanielRE3 Honorary Autobot

I find the Bay films to have been a necessary evil, to propel the franchise into the mainstream. While many fans can't say they are too fond of them (myself included), we can't deny the impact the films have had on the growth of the brand. Thanks to them, Transformers went from a mildly successful franchise, to a global phenomenon. Without the astounding success of the first four movies, I highly doubt characters like Optimus Prime and Bumblebee would be nearly as iconic and recognizable to the general populace as they are now.

Plus, without the films, we wouldn't have gotten Prime. Say what you will about Prime, but that series was the Transformers show that I grew up watching and loving. Prime was my G1, and without it I likely wouldn't even be here today.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Rodimal Rodimus

Rodimal Rodimus Agent of Unit:E

If this article is anything to go by, Animated/Heroes was being developed far back in 2006:
    Next TF Cartoon Series: "Transformers Heroes"?
    https://www.allspark.com/content/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/20160314080000133.pdf

Plus, while I understand the change of direction behind the scenes of TFP, I wouldn't go far to hating it

• Like Like x 2
  14. CyberstormSM

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Rodimal Rodimus

And?

Besides, it's not exactly out of the ordinary if a show or film may have multiple working titles during development.

16. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Then my point about the franchise continuing after Cybertron with a new series remains correct - we would have just skipped straight to Animated instead of getting the 2007 film.

And Prime's failures can not be understated - it's the primary reason the whole Aligned branching continuity failed because it couldn't be bothered to follow basic guidelines Hasbro specifically wanted followed.

Prime is the TLK of the TF cartoons because it killed the long term plans of the franchise. Not even ENERGON was ultimately terrible enough to do the kind of brand damage Prime achieved.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Rodimal Rodimus

Guidelines?

18. CyberstormSM

News Credits:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Just pointing it out. By that point Marty Isenberg (story editor for the series) was brought on board and the show looked a lot like what we ended up getting.

19. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    The point of Aligned was to create a loose continuity, one solid foundation as the origin (WFC/FOC) and from there, branching continuities that simply needed to keep loose connection to that origin.

Like treating Dark Energon as a manufactured substance instead of some mystified bullshit attributed to Unicron which Megatron spends years trying to find. Or recognizing the fact Prime left Cybertron WITH THE MATRIX IN HIS CHEST and so there isnt any possible way it would have been left abandoned on Cybertron - Primus himself tells Prime to take the Matrix as the Bots leave the planet to keep a piece of Cybertron with them while the planet reboots to purge the Dark Energon corruption.

Or not have arguements over whether or not the Nemesis gaining sentience is Trypticon and decide not to go that route...when that choice DID NOT EXIST given you know what FOC quite blatantly makes clear? Trypticon is the Nemesis and has a good reason for hating Megatron!

Prime went out of it's way to be as incompatible with the WFC/FOC canon key points almost specifically just to be a petulant child that didnt want to play by even the most generous rules.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Rodimal Rodimus

Right,

Touche.

Hopefully the Cyberverse and/or Siege series could redo over, having learnt from mistakes.