If TF comics featured defined romances would you cool with it?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Nelomaxwell, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Nelomaxwell

Nelomaxwell I gave you power

I mean in the reboot ,let's say Optimus and Elita were a thing from the beginning and their relationship was at some point a significant plot point would you stop reading the comic?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  2. AshleyCuadra

AshleyCuadra Tieria Prime

News Credits:
    Elita One is dead

3. Nelomaxwell

After the reboot

• Like Like x 1
  4. Probe

Probe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I mean, romances have been featured in the franchise for some 35 years. So, yeah, it wouldn't be a deal breaker at all.

• Like Like x 9
  5. AshleyCuadra

AshleyCuadra Tieria Prime

News Credits:
    The reboot won’t do anything it won’t matter anyway

6. Nelomaxwell

You're writting it?

• Like Like x 2
  7. Nelomaxwell

Not according to some fans.

8. SonicGX98

SonicGX98 Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I'd be fine with it. Honestly, people need to grow up and get over the fact that robots can fall in love too. If it can happen in Marvel and DC, why not Transformers too?

• Like Like x 9
  9. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    A good chunk of our fellow fans are super disinterested in seeing these characters do anything more than punch and shoot each other.

It's disheartening, frankly.

• Like Like x 9
  10. Soundwaver

Soundwaver Banned

As long it's not shove down our throats, then we're good.

People say that Transformers shouldn't fall in love because they're sexless. Well so are the gems from Steven Universe and they can be in a romantic relationship. Both are asexual beings, but that doesn't mean they can't fall in love. Asexual people have little to no insterest in sex, but still want to be in a romantic relationship.

Ps. I haven't heard anyone complaining about the gems being in a romantic relationship. We humans can be strange sometimes.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Soundwaver

Soundwaver Banned

Is that's how most of the fans see them? Just robots who do nothing, but beat the scrap out of each other? Can only feel hate? I hope it's not most.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Soundwaver

Soundwaver Banned

Wait do you mean that the romance story as the major plot or something as a minor thing?

13. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    It's not really what I'm looking for out of Transformers. I think literally the only time I've liked a romance in Transformers has been Chromedome and Rewind, and even then, I think it was loused up by bringing Rewind back.

14. Pwsyn

Pwsyn Well-Known Member

Absolutely not. I have only one request; Please grant straight relationships the same meaning and interest as same-sex relationships this time and do not avoid them just because they may be "uncool" or not "progressive/modern" enough.

Also, I hate kitschy/cliché romances, but I always appreciate interesting, extraordinary and believable romances / relationships.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  15. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    I'm a little curious about the question. What precisely does "featured defined romance" mean to you? Arguably, IDW did just that. Stops being a "what if" at that point.

I you mean actually going through the motions of beginning attraction, courtship, and/or consummation? Kinda depends. If it's well written, why the hell not? However, that rarely happens, and almost never happens in comics. Like at all. I'm sure everyone and their mom will boil out of the woodwork and toss out examples of great comic relationships, but IMO most of them are just awful.

Generally speaking, though, I think subject of TF Romance is polarizing for a variety of reasons.

Some people don't want their 80's childhood toys smooching and making goo goo eyes at each other. Since most of them are "male" coded (look ma, I learned a word use) some people find male-on-male romance squicky even if they're not true homophobes because it causes cognitive dissonance. This is probably why Steven Universe gets more of a "pass" than Transformers. It has no prior history, isn't rooted with a primarily 30+ year old male fan base, and of course, "everybody loves a lesbian".

There are some people that dislike the concept for purportedly "scientific" reasons. Transformers are supposed to be alien robots, with insane lifespans, inherent issues regarding why they'd have romance, much less sexual (hetero, homo, or otherwise) interests. One would think that they'd approach everything, including relationships in an utterly alien fashion. I think there's some weight to this analysis, insofar as if you think about it mechanical beings should probably discuss, commune and behave more like the Geth from Mass Effect or some other alien fashion as they aren't tempered by the same restrictions, concepts, and perils biological beings that have grown up on earth have. While there are more than a few books, movies, and whatnot that discuss or posit "alien" thoughts and culture (i.e. Arrival, HP Lovecraft) I don't think Transformers is a proper vehicle for it, largely because this is a Transformers thing:

[​IMG]

Once you get to "Siamese Twin Disguise Power Armor Suit For Hidden Transforming Robot/Jet Plane With Two Cockpits", you're not allowed to touch "deep, introspective alien culture analysis" anymore and "robot love" is probably just 1-2 doors down.

Overall, it just comes down to taste and what you think Transformers is "for". I think there's a legitimate, perfectly normal section of people that don't want Transformers to delve into relationships at all. For them, it's a war comic with science fiction robots blasting and killing and showing cool weapons and altmodes and they don't want the action to stop for a minute so that two tanks can sneak into the broom closet and have sexy times.

For example: if I go to a movie that's being billed as a scary, slasher horrorfest and right in the middle of my movie they decide to show me 45 minutes of My Little Pony and then abruptly go back to killing teens with a chainsaw, I'm going to get upset. Another example would be like when they started selling hamburgers without the bun to appease low carb people. I'm sorry, but without a bun, a hamburger is a lump of meat on lettuce.

For some people, this is what romance is like with Transformers. That expectation isn't there. For others there's no problem.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
  16. Soundwaver

Soundwaver Banned

There are people who are in a nonsexual romantic relationship. You can have romance without sexy time.

• Like Like x 2
  17. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    I understand that. I was using hyperbole to make a point. The issue stands that some people don't want robots taking breaks to canoodle between horrifically murdering one another and that's just as valid a point as any other.

18. Soundwaver

Soundwaver Banned

It would be stupid to stop an action sequence for a romance moment, drama moment or for any moment. Do that after the battle is over or try killing two birds with one stone.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Diabolus

Diabolus Member

I for one don't mind robot romance. Gay, straight, or otherwise. But at least make it meaningful and not a cheap selling point like Arcee and Aileron and whatever went on between the Combaticons.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Soundwaver

Soundwaver Banned

So that's the reason why hardly anyone ( if anyone) complain about the gems being in a romantic relationship. If the most of the bots were female coded and the gems male coded, I wonder things would be different.

• Like Like x 1