If I had the choice between those Masterpieces, which one is recommended?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SimonMK, May 5, 2009.

1. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

Wow, I completely disagree. You must have gotten one with some horrible QC problems. My Megs is sturdy as hell, and it's even survived a fall...Not to mention I transform him quite frequently and have had no problems so far. It all comes down on knowing how to handle the figure, and understanding how to transform him. Treating MP-05 with care while transforming him, is also a big factor. You can't just push or pull roughly with him like a TF from another line, because let's face it, he's a toothpick. But not fragile as some people perceive.

He certainly isn't for someone who likes simple transformations though, and if you have a hard time with/or don't enjoy a complex transformation then stay away. For me, I'm always looking for the next intricate Transformation, so bring on the engineering marvel I say. I'd rather transform a Binaltech or Masterpiece anyday of the week over some little "so-easy-a-three-year-old-could-do-it" Scout class figure. Simplistic transformations can suck it.

However much I love MP Megatron, if you have never owned a Mp before I suggest you go with Prime. That is who I started out with, then MP SS, and then Megs. MP Prime is definately chalk full of way more diecast. He is awesome, and has a more simple transformation than either Starscream or Megatron. I'd say start there, and work your way up. Grimlock is my next purchase after all the movie stuff, so I'd like to give you some insight on him, but I don't have him yet. He looks awesome though

2. Magnus406

Magnus406 Decepticreep

MP-01 (first run) didn't have the chest door issues. They came in the last MP-01 run, MP-04 and also the DVD edition Prime.

As for the feet snapping off, they are actually on a ball joint, so they shouldn't need to be glued.

As for which MP to get, I would (since you are not for complicated transformations) suggest MP-08 Grimlock. He really is the best all-around Masterpiece to date.

3. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

My first choice: Megatron
    My second choice: Grimlock

4. bumblebee79

bumblebee79 Well-Known Member

Gen1 Starscream MP

5. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Grimlock and Prime are the best MP's by far in my opinion, though having said that Skywarp and Thundercracker are pretty good too.

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood 3-Word Chant

MP-04 Prime...since price isn't an issue with your brother.

7. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Optimus Prime with trailer ---$240's a good deal, $340 less so. Joint recommendation with Grimlock.

Ultra Magnus --- Overpriced, and the QC on the re-issue is poor. Prime's a better choice of this mold.

Skywarp + Thundercracker --- Both overpriced, I got all three MP Seekers from HLJ last month for the price of one of those. Great mold, but not worth that price.

Megatron --- Overpriced again. Great rendition of G1 Megs, but he does have a very complex and time-consuming TFation, which rules him out.

Grimlock --- Only slightly overpriced compared to the others, joint recommendation with Prime.

Grimlock or Prime then, personally I'd go Grimlock, but unless re-issued again, Prime's unlikely to get cheaper.

Last edited: May 7, 2009
  8. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

Slight clarification on the currency... they're Canadian prices you're quoting, right?

If so, the prices are roughly comperable to what you'd pay for those items in Pounds, here, and so not what I'd consider "overpriced" (although I don't know what they go for in the US...).

My personal favourite of the MPs I have is Skywarp - he just oozes awesomeness. I think it's the black and purple - it really works on that mould. The Prime mould, though, is also great - wish I could afford the full MP-04 version :) 

9. ninety

ninety NERDS!!

News Credits:
    Didn't realise about the Canadian $'s, but even so C$170 = US$145 = £97, they're still overpriced.

10. SimonMK

SimonMK Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Thanks for all your opinion. I just went back to the store and bought TFA Purple Shockwave and re-checked the price, I had a lot of them wrong. I corrected the price now in my first post.

At the moment I am still deciding between OP and Grimlock. I decided to not buy Skywarp or Thundercracker, I want to make sure I have SC first but my brother is getting SC.

11. kajobaldisimo

kajobaldisimo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    the thought of bashing MP grimlock on a table is giving me scary goosebumps...

but yeah, i love all my MPs (i dont have ultra magnus) , but grimlock is top 1!

get him!

12. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

When someone finally decides to push the button and nuke the planet, all that will be left to rule over the cockroaches will be an army of MP Grimlocks. MP Grimlock does not fear table tops.

13. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    I love my Grimlock but for my money I would get Megatron. There are many good incarnations of Grimlock but only one perfect Megatron.

As for Prime, I have the all versions and I can honestly say that the extra money you pay to get the one with the trailer is not worth it.

14. Hound & Mirage

Hound & Mirage Rapscallion

So. True.

Has anyone designed a Grim Grams envelope papercraft that's scale to MP Grimlock yet?

If not, I might have to try it myself.

Attached Files:

15. Hound & Mirage

Hound & Mirage Rapscallion

16. Jetstorm

Jetstorm Wielder of the Keyblade

Without a doubt get Prime.... he's.... a masterpice :lol 

But yeah, I own Prime, Megatron, Starscream, and Grimlock. I love them all, but Prime is definitely the best.

I'm gonna get Skywarp and Thundercracker some day, but they're not a priority.

I WON'T be getting Ultra Magnus unless they make the armor for him sometime, because that's not the Ultra Magnus *I* know lol.

17. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    Prime or Grimlock, and pick up the rest as you can afford them. You can usually hunt around and find a sale on Skywarp and Magnus, and hopefully T-Cracker in the near future.

18. AMG

AMG Old School

That right there.

19. SimonMK

SimonMK Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Finally, I had to buy Grimlock. My brother didn't had enough for both his MP Starscream and my MP OP, so I chose MP Grimlock instead. He only had 400$. His MP SC was 130$

He had enough but yesterday, he remembered in the last minute its was the birthday of one his friend today and wanted to keep few money for her birthday. Its didn't bother me.

By the way, I have a question. On Grimlock's right shoulder (the one where we put batteries in), I see Japanese writing on cloes to the battery door. Is it on a sticker that I can remove or its written on the plastic? I scrathced it multiple time and no result.