"If ______________ directed the next movie, then _______________"

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by PRIMEMAN3457, Jul 5, 2011.

1. PRIMEMAN3457

PRIMEMAN3457 Leader

News Credits:
    Basically, this is asking who should direct the next Transformers movie OR this could be asking who SHOULDN'T.
    Just fill the first blank with someone's name and then fill the second blank with your opinion.

2. Seansy

Seansy Me Grimlock say Go Do One

Ebay:
    Steven Spielberg, great continuation.

Brett Ratner. FML.

Seán

3. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think that J.J. Abrams and Christopher Nolan could both be good for doing Transformers reboots. I really liked J.J. Abram's Star Trek reboot, and if he did something similar with Transformers (i.e. restarting the series and showing all the characters' origins), I think it would be great. Christopher Nolan could make a dark, mature, complex story, and I think that he'd be able to focus more on the robots than Michael Bay did (not that J.J. Abrams wouldn't).

4. Seansy

Ebay:
    Just thought.

Edgar Wright would be an awesome director fir the TF franchise. Arguably one if the freshest directors around, Scott Pilgrim was awesome, sadly not a money success which was surprising. He has always had a serious scope for spectacle, even doing very cinematic style cuts and camera work in "Spaced".

He should be hired!

Seán

5. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    JJ Abrams would be a disaster. Don't believe me, go look at the Star Trek fanbase. While we've enjoyed 3 films since 2011, they MAY get Star Trek 2 in 2013, if Abrams starts pretty much right now. And he isn't, since he has 2 movies he wants to direct first.

He's also, something of a hack. We'd never actually Autobots and Decepticons (or them fighting). We'd see the faces of 8 years olds in shock as Abrams ripped off ET. It would make the Transformers screen time in TF1 look positively generous compared.

Really. Although I think Bay will come back after a break, ANY other director than Abrams. Super 8 fell flat on it's face (TF3 made more in about 3 days), so hopefully audiences are on to him.

6. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If M. Night Shyamalan directed the next movie there would be too many twists.

7. WreckNRule426

WreckNRule426 Autobot

If Christopher Nolan did it, it would be an unfathomable success. Why? Because his movies always have something more than their suspense plot going on. An underlying theme, if you will, that brings the emotion and depth of the film to a much higher level. Dark Knight was about the nature of anarchy and evil, Inception was about the thin line between illusion and reality, etc. Imagine what the guy (scratch that, the genius) could explore with a concept like Transformers.

8. TheSCATTORSHOT

TheSCATTORSHOT Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If he directed and Wrote the next one, it would be shit, And get a far worse rating on RT Than all ROTF

9. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If Christopher Nolan directed the next movie, it would mean there would be one less franchise for people to constantly suggest he direct. After all he is the only person in the world that knows how to make movies, it's not like he had over 70 years of material to pull from to make Batman...................

10. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    Neil Blomkamp, he should direct TF movies after he finished Elysium.
    Chris Nolan shouldn't do TF movies. He should keep doing great movies like Memento or Inception after Batman trilogy

11. Seansy

Ebay:
    He wouldn't work with this material. It's not dark enough or cerebral enough. Batman has had years to get to where it is now. Transformers is a children's toy. You have to get an action Director. Bay was the perfect fit really.

Seán

12. tpainzbro

tpainzbro Well-Known Member

I think Matthew Vaughn would be interesting . He directs great action can tell a good story. He also is able to too add some great humor even in the darker moments of the film.

Guillermo del toro should be watched since he Is directing a film with giant robots soon. His take on the franchise would be interesting.

Blomkamp could be interesting. I wanna see what he can do with a big budget.

Abrams/Spielberg for the above stated reasons.

The truth is your never going to be these movies from an action standpoint. But if you hire the right director and right writers who could create a 3 film continuity then it could be interesting.

13. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    If Spielberg directed Transformers, it'd be a story about Sam's strained relationship with his young son, set to the backdrop of giant robots.

Peter Jackson? I'd quite like that, we might get some nice battle sequences there.

If all else fails then Brett Ratner - just for the amazing shitstorm that would ensue.

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    J.J Abrams, Zack Synder and Bryan Singer.

15. AnithaPrime

AnithaPrime TURDUKEN

If he directed it I would get whiplash.

16. brawl 56

brawl 56 Aw..crap!

News Credits:
    Good choice!
    Blomkamp did a great job on District 9 and his short movies are even better.

Yeah, like it was said before. Transformers isn't that deep enough. Eventhough there are some good stories in the history of TF, but I just can't see something that would stir the interest of this serious guy.
    He does portray amazing characters with the actors, but with real actors. Not CGI ones.

Snyder would be a badass guy to direct a TF movie.
    I would like to see with what crazy images he would come up to this idea.

17. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    Jon Favreau, J.J. Abrams, and Steven Spielberg are my top 3.

I'm not so sure about Blomkamp. I mean, I love District 9. It's my second favorite movie of all time. But I want to see more from him before I decide whether he could handle a franchise or not.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  18. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    David Yates, Justin Lin, James Cameron, Neil Blomkamp, or an unknown.

David Yates is in line to take another tentpole franchise. He imbued the last few Potter films with the weight that they needed to be at least good. He deserves a lot of credit for that, and for finishing the franchise as financially successful as it has been. Yates is going to be one of the hottest projectless directors in town come July 15th.

Justin Lin's credits are small, but the Fast and the Furious franchise has seen a steady rise in quality. Fast Five was, in all seriousness quite an excellent action film, and in many ways much more effective and successful than Dark of the Moon. The sequences in Fast Five may not have had the scale of DOTM, but they sure as hell were more exciting.

James Cameron directed Avatar, Titanic, Terminator, Terminator 2, True Lies, and is responsible for legitimizing 3D, and holds several of the top grossing films worldwide and domestically under his belt. Two of which are the Two Top Grossing Movies of all time.

Nolan would take Transformers and make it even more unimaginative and bland than Bay managed to. Just because he made a couple of solid films does not mean he's a God.

19. SwerveGears

SwerveGears Autonomous Robot

News Credits:
    If I was directing the next movie, you would be floored to the ground by awesomeness.

20. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just want to throw this out there:

Suggesting JJ Abrams would make the franchise (and fandom) captive to his schedule. Ask Star Trek fans how that is working out for them... they MAY see Star Trek 2 in May 2013.

The only other director who did a trilogy in as short a time as Bay did in recent history is Peter Jackson with LotR, and those were shot as almost one movie. In a sense, we were spoiled.

So yeah... Abrams at fandom's risk. We'll get a duology if anything, shot like Super 8 (which would be garbage), and the films would be about 4 years apart. Count me out.