IDW's Transformers Comes to an End Confirmed

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by TargetmasterJoe, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Hyoumaru

Hyoumaru M.S.B.S. ver. 10.5

While I do agree with you, there are characters who just don't have any real basis to go with. The toy bios have very limited application, the Marvel comics had virtually NO personality at all, the G1 cartoon is where most of it comes from.

Still, not disagreeing, just saying.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Inanimate Carbon Rodimus

Inanimate Carbon Rodimus In Rod We Trust

Good riddance. This continuity should have been put out of its misery years ago. I hope the final story will be Unicron destroying the whole thing, so there's no possibility of a future "Regeneration One: IDW".

Agreed. Over the past couple of years IDW has managed to ruin their TF universe, so I have zero confidence in them handling a new continuity properly. Regardless of who the new creative team(s) is/are - and I can already speculate who at least one of the writers will be - as long as IDW has the license, I'm not interested in the TF comics.

• Like Like x 7
  3. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

They don't have much characterization outside of IDW, so I don't think that any new versions will be that different.

4. CaptainSlowbro

CaptainSlowbro The Portly Pink Protector

I\'m glad it\'s ending the way it is.

5. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Nah, the comics had the most character development. Ratchet is a great character in the comics and Furman's UK Rodimus is why I love the character so much. I also think that the comic version of Blaster is far superior to the cartoon.

• Like Like x 3
  6. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Indifferent.
    The last comics I read were All Hail Megatron and a few issues of the new run.

Looking forward to see what the reboot looks like. Maybe I'll go back to comics again.

• Like Like x 1
  7. GrimLocke

GrimLocke Green Energon Strike Coaltion

If we’re just spitballing, pass the torch to Tsutomu Nihei or Studio Trigger, perhaps.

But, at the very least, I’m glad I’ve started in on the last six or so years of the comics before they get nuked.

Still, I would expect the absolute worse and that they are workshopping a unified Hasbro continuity for all their franchises, even more like Marvel and DC, and falling in line even further with the Hollywood production cycle after He Who Shall Not Be Named.

Oh, and I’d especially fear that characters like Drift and Nautica...will recede into the tide.

So, much as ever, I think only anime can catalyze this franchise further.

• Like Like x 4
  8. TyrantLizardKing

TyrantLizardKing Lord of all Terrible Lizards

Hopefully it’s as good as when Archie Sonic rebooted in 2013. I’m half-sad and half-relieved honestly, but I can see why this is happening. Barber and Roberts are both in the endgame of arcs they’ve been building up for six years straight, and Hasbro likely agreed Unicron would make for a good ending before starting on a fresh slate.

I just hope the new continuity plays to the series’ strengths and doesn’t waste time with humans, crossovers (unless it’s Sonic heh heh), and overt pandering to specific crowds. 

• Like Like x 1
  9. artiepants

artiepants Misses readable TF comics

News Credits:
    And basically all their Hasbro properties. Every GIJoe reboot worse then the last (the Dixon/Costa run was amazing)

• Like Like x 5
  10. Ramberk Magnus

Ramberk Magnus Well-Known Member

Even though I'm a big fan of MTMTE/LL it feels nice to have a concrete ending to this continuity. I look forward to reading the 10-part ending and then reading the reboot. Let's go JRo! Let's go IDW!

• Like Like x 4
  11. Everything Man

Everything Man Well-Known Member

April first is Sunday.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Sidesprey

Sidesprey Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seems that Hasbro wants to have more control over the different media it has.

Movies, cartoon, toyline and now comics are getting rebooted and revamped. Seems like they want to have 2019 onwards to be focused on one continuity

• Like Like x 4
  13. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    Studio Trigger does animation, not American comic books, so I don't think that would quite work.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    Could be interesting. Looking forward to seeing how they wrap it up, and also looking forward into seeing how the rebooted goes and how they intermingle in fan beloved new creations into the new lore.

This could mean more cohesive story-telling of later additions to the lore earlier, like Windblade and citspeakers, as well as the broader colonies. Could mean better build up and integration of Drift and his origins as Deadlock. Curious to see how they might re-do Stardrive's story, or better explore Nautica more at the beginning. This could mean better exploration of characters and wider newer additions like Lugnut and Bulkhead, or other more varied pieces that have been created. Maybe even some wider exploration of other characters added to the lore earlier to make it all more cohesive and less random retcons to fit it all.

So I have high hopes for this. Could be interesting to see a more cohesive growing universe with all the ideas they came up with better integrated into the lore altogether.
    Sad to see the comic go with as many interesting things as it did, but it had a good run, and it's time to start fresh with a new audience. Though it'll likely still be a mildly similar G1 redux as before that'll build to newer things and integrate more of the wider lore across the various iterations.

I'm assuming this won't be the only area of that universe that'll get rebooted either. Seems likely Rom, GI Joe and other 'same world' comics likely will too. So I'm guessing this is to proto-build the Hasbro Universe from scratch.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Autoboty

Autoboty Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First the MCU, now IDW's Transformers... it's like the end of the world for me. I do hope both of those go out with a bang, in Avengers: Infinity War and Unicron: Darkest Hour.

16. Autobot Jamie

Autobot Jamie Well-Known Member

Good ideas but I think the person who created drift ( can't remember his name) had him removed. I haven't seen Drift in LL since January.

17. Sockie

Sockie Veteran

News Credits:
    That's not happened. He was just in the latest LL.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ZeroBG82

ZeroBG82 Well-Known Member

Unicron broke TF comics, apparently.

Hmm. Well, I guess that's it for me and TF comics then. Honestly, I've only been following Lost Light, and it hasn't been as good as it used to be for a while now.

The 'Hasbro-verse' thing was a major turn off. And I've never been a fan of Barber's writing. So this is as good a time as any to get off the bus.

I just hope, for those that still intend to read, that the new stuff isn't all Optimus/Bumblebee/Starscream/Megatron. Which feels likely, to me. Brand unification is the death of story diversity. But maybe I'll be wrong. Either way, thanks for some good years, IDW. And good luck to all those who continue reading.

• Like Like x 6
  19. Everything Man

Everything Man Well-Known Member

The next toy line after potp is suppose to be more cybertronian, so maybe it\'s going to align with the comic reboot, from a marketing stand point it\'s smarter than trying to force shitty machinama series to only clog up clearance alises.  I\'m looking at mmc pre-orders now and thinking how this is going to be a messy year for them.

• Like Like x 1
  20. C.W. McConvoy

C.W. McConvoy 破壊大帝

Maybe he meant Studio OX. Because that would be all kinds of awesome.

This IDW universe had gone on way too long and just became ridiculous... worse than even Kiss Players. I'm thrilled that it is ending and I hope Hasbro cleans house and exerts more control over the direction of the comics. They've been way too lax and hands-off with licensees.
    Like how they let this one guy direct giant toy commercials that aren't suitable for children. Just brilliant.:bay 

• Like Like x 1