IDW's Transformers Comes to an End Confirmed

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by TargetmasterJoe, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Well, Autobot Megatron was a Hasbro-initiated idea in the first place, so who knows?

• Like Like x 3
  2. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    IDW's humans have all pretty much sucked.

3. Magneon Sentinel

Magneon Sentinel Cybertron's last defense

I see some people that are unhappy about all of this, but let’s take a moment to remember that this gives them a chance to start new and tell new stories not possible in the current setting. Their work is not being thrown away or wasted, it’s just being archived, for others to one day see and appreciate one of the best transformers stories ever told.

Who knows, maybe the next one will be even better!

• Like Like x 6
  4. Uncle Yetibacca

Uncle Yetibacca Well-Known Member

Well... In that we agree. I know pretty well that much of IDW's humans have been sons of b*****s always tryong to paint the TF as the bad guys, but I have grown fond of their version of Marissa, and let's not forgett Verity Carlo.
    Come one, don't tell me you hate Verity .__.

5. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Actually my bet is that if the IDW reboot survives for about 18-24 months we see a pseudo DC rebirth where they start mixing old stuff in for the hardcores. Imagine the conclusion of an issue where it looks like all hope is lost for the Autobots on Cybertron. Something like

Second-last page:
    sKRAAAAAAAAAAAAAM

Next panel:
    Two figures in shadow - figure A says “We did it! We’re home!!”
    Figure B - “It looks like it, old friend...”

Final page - (revealing Figures A and B to be Terminus and Autobot Megatron)

Megatron: “but as we know, appearances can be deceiving.”

“DEFINITELY to be continued!” Or whatever they do for panel boxes. Obviously whatever they do here will be a better reveal than this as I’m not a writer, but you get where I’m coming from.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Darth Gonzo

Darth Gonzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So if Hasbro is having IDW reboot, does that mean it will still be a Hasbro shared Universe with G.I. Joe, Rom, and the others?

• Like Like x 3
  7. Uncle Yetibacca

Uncle Yetibacca Well-Known Member

I think it's too soon to say or even ask. I certainly hope so very much though.

But honestly I think that given the short life most of the resurrected properties had they will try to reboot them as well, specially given that many of them will get new movies and cartoons. Again, I want a Hasbro universe, but done right

8. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I'm of mixed feelings with All Hail Megatron. At the end of the day, I think Guido Guidi's art saves it. The art was fantastic. Pure eye candy. I might hate the plot, but I bought the TPBs and the digital versions because I wanted to admire the art on paper and on my computer screen.

• Like Like x 1
  9. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh man, if AHM had been the first book out from IDW and not the shoehorned in kick the butt see ya to Furman that it became, I suspect many people would have much fonder memories of it. On its own merits I think it’s pretty rad.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    She was okay.

11. Neko-bot77

Neko-bot77 Face it, we're doomed.

News Credits:
    I'd like to know if the final issues will be collected. Specifically if the Unicron comics will all get a collection.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Darth Gonzo

Darth Gonzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope they do a Hasbro Universe in both comic and movie.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I have mixed feelings. I really got heavily into the comics with the 2012 split between the two titles and I've really liked what they built upon that for awhile (though RiD went to shit fairly quickly). It was the shared universe crossover garbage from the past couple years that killed most of my recent interest, so doing away with that completely is the main upside in this for me. Too bad Lost Light couldn't just continue. It's not as good as the early run of MTMTE, but it's still interesting. I'll give the new universe a look when it gets going but I have the feeling I'll probably be done with comics at that point. It wasn't just the writing I really enjoyed starting in 2012, it was the world building, doing something different with the franchise and giving D-list characters a personality to actually care about. At least it will get a solid ending instead of just being cancelled without warning.

Keep Simon Furman the fuck away from the reboot. His G1 Marvel work is good and I thought all the "-ations" started off great but Regenerations One was pure garbage with NO redeeming qualities.

14. Zappit

Zappit Well-Known Member

Well, that's crushing. But...if it separates them from GIJoe, MASK, etc...I'll take it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Shepard Prime

Shepard Prime 1st Cybertronian Spectre of the Galactic Council

As much as I dogpile that run, I admit that if it'd been it's own thing it would've been far more enjoyable to me. I still think the plan originally was for it to be it's own thing going by interviews with all involved until they backtracked and said it actually is in continuity with Furman's work.

16. Maglite

Maglite Porkchop sandwiches!

Well, it's a bummer, but at least there will be a proper conclusion to it all. I've fallen a bit behind, so I can't really comment on the recent monthly offerings, but I still have to say, I have mixed feelings about this reboot. I've read everything from the IDW TF Universe from 2005-2016 multiple times, and while there have been some low points (looking at you, Heart of Darkness), it's too bad that this universe of stories that have been accumulating for over a decade is ending. I think there's still more that could be done within it, and it'll suck seeing some of these concepts and ideas end (although I have to admit that I'm sick of phase 6ers and the dead universe). Part of me thinks a soft-reboot would be better than killing the whole thing, but I also feel like Barber and Roberts ought to be the ones to see the universe off.

Honestly, my favorite run of TF comics is MTMTE #1-16. While there's been plenty of other good stuff before and after that as well as from other titles/authors/artists, those 16 issues are everything I never knew I wanted from Transformers comics. Coming off the Costa run (which isn't as terrible in subsequent re-reads as it was the first time I read it), MTMTE was incredibly refreshing and I became obsessed. The magic started to dim a bit after #16 for me, but I definitely felt like things were going a bit sour once Dark Cybertron kicked off. While I like DC in terms of its premise, the execution was, in my opinion, poor. The multiple artist thing, while a neat idea in theory, just didn't work for me at all.

After that was over, I was pumped to get back to what I signed on for only to find that Josh Burcham was no longer doing colors on MTMTE, which I still feel was a huge blow to the book. I really like Lafuente's work as well, but Burcham's colors are just really unique. Love his work. Then there was the rebranding, the shared universe, ambitiously pumping out 3 simultaneous ongoing titles - It was honestly a little overwhelming. There were a lot of things that made me feel like IDW was struggling to keep it all together. Still, I didn't want it to end. I just wanted them to try and recapture the old MTMTE/RiD magic, but that's just not possible.

So, yeah, sad to see it end, but excited to see what comes next. Hopefully it's as rich and fleshed-out as what we got in this universe.

• Like Like x 2
  17. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. Moderator

News Credits:
    At the very least, I'm thankful the current IDW-verse isn't getting "Dreamwaved".

• Like Like x 3
  18. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Herald Of Primus

News Credits:
    Hmmmm..... Interesting! If the WFC toyline is indication of where the new IDW will be headed, then the premise being focused back on Cybertron (with no got damn humans) would have my undivided attention.

It would easily help me to forget most of Barber's ongoing. Just keep JR's initial world building talent. make the War stories be like LSOTW's.

• Like Like x 1
  19. jaws

jaws Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Unicron will end all continuities! Hell yes!

• Like Like x 1
  20. stad

stad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They had them, until they no longer wanted them. I hope Hasbro will try to push them, but it's still up to Walmart changing their mind.

Yes, they were considerably easier to find.
    Of course, anything limited to Walmart isn't truly all that limited.