IDW's Art Du Jour - TF Infiltration #4 Art

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Joe Moore, Feb 14, 2006.

1. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

Plenty of men sound like women, and plenty of women sound like men. Voice isn't always a way of distinguishing characteristic of sex.

I'm not saying that BB isn't female in IDW continuity, just that you can't say for certain if BB is or isn't

2. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    Ok, maybe hating EJ Su is too strong, I just don't think that he's suited for the book, he may do well with Spider-Man, Superman, heck even maybe Iron-Man, but Transformer artist he's lacking, he is just not dynamic enough, his lines aren't sharp or polished enough, one can clearly see this when his work is placed side by side with Don's work, there is just something there that makes a page work, and whatever "it" is, EJ doesn't have it IMO.

3. JunkionExchange

JunkionExchange Banned

I didn't say i could do better Jerk I just said I don't like it and Im allowed not to like it I guess I was spoiled by Don's stuff

4. JunkionExchange

JunkionExchange Banned

Don for one wildman is ok

5. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i am not trying to disuade your opinion of su's work and you reserve the right to think hes not suitable for TF art.

but.

your assessment of his skills based on comments above is totally invalid. his aptitude towards mechanical design is apparent, and his skills reflect it. he is more than competent. as one who draws, i believe i speak objectively from a technical background.

and i think its unfair to disregard any other TF work just because you prefer don's work. i was awestrucked by dons work in the 1st 6 issues of DWs vol 3. but just because of that i dont go back to the older comics and look at wildman, senior, et al works and go "oh this is crap".

wheres your perspective?

the beauty abt TF is that, unlike other intellectual property that has strong association to the creator (e.g. SW and lucas), theres room in the fandom for different interpretation.

if you cant get pass that, well, its your loss.

6. Matrix Soul

Matrix Soul Skull 4 reporting in!

News Credits:
    I didn't say that EJ had failed as an artist, I just think that he's not dynamic enough for Transformers, certain artists are just not suited for certain books.

To illustrate my perspective,

a friend of mine was working at Marvel a while back, one day, as it so happens, the creator of the Optimus Prime toy and a fellow designer came to visit Marvel and my friend had them do a couple sketches for him, as you will see in the sketch, although it was freehand, and spur of the moment, they managed to catched that spirit, and that's what I think has been lacking in what I have seen from IDW so far.

Without further ado...

image provided by www.the8spot.com & the Wombat

Attached Files:

• op1.jpg
      op1.jpg
      File size:
      138 KB
      Views:
    • op2.jpg
      op2.jpg
      File size:
      168.5 KB
      Views:
  7. Optimus Law

Optimus Law Pending Court Order

oh thats really neat, who is this friend of your? anyone i may have heard of :rock 

8. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Nifty. Gotta say, I've been liking the new artwork. Anyone see the other page they had for #4 with Bumblebee using his gun in alt mode. Just looks really sweet.:rock 

9. Infosaur

Infosaur Ancient Cybertronian

Well then call it a "teaser" instead of a "spoiler". Hence to "tease" the consumer and not "spoil" any surprises or plot twists. (I swear we're losing the language every day, gotta keep these kids edjumicated!)

As for Su's work (can I call him Su? Is Su a him?) I'm not overly offended, I've certainly seen worse. I wish I'd see more of the actual books than so many advance pages online.

But what really won me over was the subtle homage to the original toys in the end of Issue #2 (forgot page and panel) Prowl has twin cannons, front fender mounted. Ironhide has a singular rectangular squirt gun mounted in the middle. And Sunstreaker has twin trapazoidal missile launchers mounted over the engine compartment.

These were very slick nods to not only the original toys but the character's early bios.

(Am I the only person who bought G1 Sunstreaker, read the bio and thought what the hell are these little yellow things? and why don't the missiles he comes with fit in the shoulder holes?)

10. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Found what you were talking about and BB has one big, fat gun and a nice transformation to boot!:) 
    http://www.idwpublishing.com/news/artdujour/artdujour.shtml

11. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

you rule.