IDW Transformers #2

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by rikkomba, Mar 27, 2019.

1. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Don’t call me a member thank you very much.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Next issue is next Wednesday right? I can’t see any preview in the news thread.

Hoping the next one has a bit more of the murder investigation rather than the Megs political rally stuff. The two are no doubt connected but the murder is what I find more intriguing at the moment, especially to see the Chromia/Prowl dynamic expanded further hopefully.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Grimlock528

Grimlock528 Well-Known Member

I don’t think that’s fair at all.
    Just because you’ve had steak before doesn’t mean that when someone feeds you Brussel Sprouts you complain and compare it to steak. You complain because it doesn’t taste good on its own merit.
    So far, this is brussel sprouts for many of us.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm Wreck n’ rule

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've ended up unsubscribing, the story just isn't gripping me and money is tight

• Like Like x 2
  4. Makarov

Makarov Well-Known Member

I'm definitely looking forward to the next one, maybe some action on the Megatron plot and interested to see how the investigation ties into it

• Like Like x 1
  5. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    I wouldn't call MTMTE steak, I'd compare it to cow tongue. Some people will pay top dollar for it, while it makes others vomit.

• Like Like x 5
  6. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm going give this comic a chance to at least issue 5. If it turns out great, like Infiltration or post Costa, then I'll continue and order the hardback if not then well, more money for better comics.

And as for comparing this to previous idw titles. That's normal, and that's how it will be done. This isn't just a new incarnation of Transformers comics, it's a new incarnation of Transformers comics by a company that's been doing Transformers comics for 14 years.
    We have to and will compare this to the old idw comics because that's the closest thing to compare it to. Just like idw 01 was compared to DW, and DW to Marvel/ Marvel UK.
    Claiming that we can't compare this to its predecessors or peers is frankly stupid. It makes it sound like the person saying it thinks this comic is worthless trash and thinks by isolating it from the environment it inhabits would somehow make it better and justify their own desire for this to succeed.
    Hell, the creators themselves invite the comparison because they sell it as a completely new take that will show us stuff we haven't seen in previous incarnations yet.
    So far we've seen more Transformers and more of Cybertron than in infiltration#0 and #1, but then again Furman wanted the Transformers to seem like titans next to humans that we knew when they showed themselves in bot-mode they were a force to be reconned with, and when Optimus and Megatron showed up shit would hit the fan.
    While this wants us to forst see Cybertron in its prime before drowning in conflict, or turning from a dead, colourful wasteland to an even deadder less colourful wasteland that's on fire by the looks of the art so far.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Dire 51

Dire 51 Line Stepper.

Believe it or not, i was going to bring up the "justice system," but didn't want to rant.

And please, there's no need for hostility. I'm firmly anti slavery, and am glad you are too. Will you denounce religions which still practice it?

8. Dire 51

Dire 51 Line Stepper.

After all, as of this writing, there are literally thousands of human beings in shipping crates with one destination.

No politics, yes - but you can guess where.

Will you take action against it?

• Like Like x 1
  9. pluto

pluto Banned

I think the least hostile thing to do at this point is let the thread get back to its topic.

• Like Like x 5
  10. misfire19d

misfire19d Not a writer. Not an illustrator. Just a fan.

I finally got around to buying the first 2 issues online. I’m going to see for myself if the criticism and/or praise is deserved.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Grimlock528

Grimlock528 Well-Known Member

To be fair to Furman, that was a Ryall mandate. It was his belief that the scale of TransFormers needed to be brought back, that it would be a slow burn and that space battles had to be “earned”.
    Furman was just doing his job.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

I don't know what destination you're thinking of, but a lot of them end up in the UK.

13. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

not doing it for me. putting aside the slowness and generally shallowness of it all... i'm just not interested in the core cast. bee? Prime? Megatron? Prowl? Windblade (new as she is, she's been a focal point for half decade now)? They're not interesting.

• Like Like x 2
  14. dmc2008

dmc2008 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Reading through these comments, you can see how divided the fandom really is. Maybe it's just the binary political climate most of us live in, but I sense there are now two sets of TF comics fans: Those who enjoyed MTMTE... and those who didn't.

I can't say why IDW felt the need to reboot (I have to assume it was poor sales), but the new continuity doesn't seem to address ANY of the reasons our fandom has been so divided. It really does feel like a soft reboot, with most themes and characterizations "remixed," yet fairly intact. I thought they would go all out and really change things up, but apparently not...

I agree with those saying the story is slow, but it's not terrible, and the dialogue is not as bad as I had feared. TBH, so far I like this better than RiD/TF/OP.

The main problem here is the ART. You can take a bland story and make it worth reading when the art is done well (see TONS of indie comics out there). But this takes blandness to a whole new level. The lazy drawings, the monotonous color palettes, the terrible toy references... ugh. Not a good way to bridge the gap between this divided fandom, and definitely not a good way to bring on new readers. Even IF the story were better (pacing, dialogue, intrigue), this art is not good enough to draw a new reader in.

Look, I was a big fan of JR's writing, but I agree that S3 was far from perfect. In fact, I cancelled my LL subscription during the first year.
    But he brought so many characters to life, he needs credit for revitalizing the franchise and bringing a lot of new fans on board. I can see that they are trying to keep that going here with the new continuity, and I will give it a chance in that regard. But they should have invested in better artists with a more expansive vision, because they really needed to hit a home run to rationalize the reboot.

• Like Like x 6
  15. earthman

earthman Member

I just read this issue yesterday.I think this time writers have prepared a lot before,so cybertron seems more complicated and vivid to me.But isn't it strange that a main character just died at the beginning of a new series?
    And megatron looks a little irritable to me.The writers seem to try to make magatron a Hitler in cybertron.Maybe JR's stories have left me a deep impression on me,I think megatron should be a hero that took a wrong path.But who knows,maybe this time the writers will give us a more satisfying answer.Looking forwards to it.
    By the way,the new toy line looks so sci-fi,but the comic looks so cartoonish.Will the artists change their styles?Really missing Alex milne.

• Like Like x 1
  16. CH3N7HiN

CH3N7HiN i,cyclonus

Twitter:
    For Alex Milne!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Regarding the art and story, here’s what I wrote from the other thread:

“Looking at the solicitation for issues #3 - 8, I think the pace might pick up at #8, when Termagax appears. But until then, we’ll likely see more of Cybertron.

Also, issue #6 will have a new artist onboard: Bethany McGuire-Smith. Cachet Whitman will still be the second artist in #7 and #8 (it’s the artist that draws the least amount of pages, and is honestly the better of the two artist at the moment, although those peg holes...).”

Here’s some of her art from her Twitter profile:

Bethany McGuire-Smith (@Andernell) on Twitter
    upload_2019-4-6_21-27-6.jpeg upload_2019-4-6_21-27-23.jpeg upload_2019-4-6_21-28-19.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  18. ZachimusPrime

ZachimusPrime toys.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    She’s got great art. Would be awesome for her to color it too.

Okay, so I read the issue tonight. I don’t think it’s that bad. I mean, I have some pretty big problems with it. The ridiculously toy accurate art is very annoying. I’m not at a fan at all. It was like watching toys moving around. And also, I’m praying for Chromia and Prowl to go somewhere interesting. Please, for the love of god, make them fun. Or hey, make them real and depressing. I don’t know. And yeah, Optimus is boring.

BUT! I totally dig Wheeljack and Megatron. They’re great versions of themselves. And the sci-fi elements like the little orbs examining the body, the coexisting alien races, and the harvester are awesome. And the little details, like the minor other factions, feels like cool world building.

I don’t know. Maybe I’m too easy to please. But I like it. It’s not my favorite, but, unless something goes really wrong, I’m here for the long haul to see where it goes.

• Like Like x 2
  19. myrrh

myrrh Knell-Mown Wember

News Credits:
    ...i think an essential aspect a lot of the criticism in this thread overlooks is that this is a bi-weekly (semi-monthly?) series: we're getting as much story per month as a conventionally-paced book, just with twice as many pages of art to tell it...

...personally, i'm quite enjoying the new series, the stately spectacle of its world-building, its science fiction premises rendered in luscious color, the sense of place and scale of its the calm before the storm, and the subtle intrigue rumbling on the horizon...i wish the art didn't occasionally render toy wireframes by rote, i wish orion and megatron weren't perennial fetish-proxies at the heart of the autobot/ascenticon conflict, and i wish prowl weren't the same shrill characterisation established in the previous IDW continuity, but i'm still enjoying the ride and looking forward to wherever it takes us...

• Like Like x 3
  20. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    It's only been 2 issues!

I think do think a better artist would help.

I despised LL with a passion, and I still gave it 6 issues before I dropped it.

• Like Like x 4