IDW Transformers #2

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by rikkomba, Mar 27, 2019.

1. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker For the Honor

Didn't Bumblebee say something about him having not chosen an alt-mode yet?

2. DashCourageous

DashCourageous Greetings Programs!

Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Considering a death starts the war, if it were a politician to die, it wouldn't have as much emotional impact as a character written from the viewpoint of the reader. The more you travel with the character, get to see the world and experience life through the character, the more his death will have meaning.

3. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Look at his body, 4 wheels are prominent. A wedgechest, unnecessarily large arms. Maybe he just doesnt know it yet.

Brainstorm died.

4. DashCourageous

Instagram:
    YouTube:
    THAT'S how the war starts?

5. Dinobot Snarl

News Credits:
    We don't know.

6. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Uh well, I disagree.
    Rubble has the classic look of dull surprise, Pat Lee would be proud.
    The pages show no emotion and with the colour and text removed would express norhino but sterility and statues.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker For the Honor

You know, I was kind of hoping for world building on the level of the current Martian Manhunter comic.

I love everything that comic has done for DC's Martian civilization, how their abilities shaped their culture. It'd be nice to see Cybertron get fleshed out the same way.

8. Autobot Hound

Autobot Hound Combaticon

News Credits:
    I keep thinking... okay, small blue 'bot. Change one letter in that name and you have Rumble.
    (Because RIBFIR darn it all) :D 

• Like Like x 5
  9. DashCourageous

Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Ah.

10. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

I'd go with 'mixed bag versus evil', but even so, my point was really about the attraction of WW2 as a subject of study/stories/general interest. Rodimus was suggesting that the main reason people like to revisit it is the good versus evil theme - I'd say that it's because it was the biggest and most lethal armed conflict in living memory.

• Like Like x 3
  11. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Tonight the streets are ours

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I think for me it’s a mixture of the two perhaps (as you’re probably suggesting using the phrase “main reason” ie one of many no doubt). Without wishing to go too leftfield- and as always in my opinion only if course- while Zoroastrian ideas have been prevalent for ages, WW2 as a recent event has been much easier to frame historically as good versus evil than WW1 for example because of the clear universality of the view than genocide and the Nazi ideology is evil. In WW1 whilst the German state was militaristic and imperialistic, the other participants were kind of varying degrees of that as well. Speculating, I do think Europe may have taken a darker turn after WW1 had Germany won, but the stakes had they won WW2 would have been truly dire. We do like as a species clear cut tales of good and bad so I think that’s definitely a large part, but equally one cannot underplay the (slightly queasy I have to say) appeal WW2 has as a recent apocalyptic military spectacle.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    I'm enjoying it but feel that the characters could use a bit more oomph! No one(apart from maybe Prowl, Wheeljack and Rubble) have a distinct voice.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Dead Metal

Ebay:
    WW2 is the closest war ever got to good vs evil. Each other large scale war was always more a us vs them mentality with each side having elements to look like the good guy or the bad guy depending on viewpoint.
    But the Nazis defied that by openly being for the eradication of entire groups of people by justifying it by making them scapegoats. This was a group of people, that managed to convince the rest of their country that their friends and neighbors were evil and the reason their country was going down the drain. And convinced them that they needed to destroy them.
    On top of that, Hitler wanted an empire - just because. Other empires were created because the society saw no other option to keep itself alive, wanting resources or wanting to share its ideals. Hitler wanted an empire, because others had one. No economic reasons, no idealistic reasons just the want to have one.
    Sure he claimed it was about "living space to the east" but that was to sell the idea to the people, just like he exploited their empathy to get them to support war efforts in Africa "look at what these awful English monsters are doing! They're subjugating and killing these poor black men, women and children in our former colonies! It's our responsibility to protect them, those are OUR black subjects, we exploited them humanely!"
    There is no rational way of making Hitler look positive or sympathetic, other than even he thought Musulini was an evil POS.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Seriously, you letting yourself to be influenced influenced (and brought down) by a few local voices of self-assured authority. In the end the sales and cold numbers mattered and only this.

The hype surrounding the title will fade more the more time passed since its demise.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Dinobot Snarl

News Credits:
    I think Rubble's face, despite having a face, wasn't designed to have full range of emotions. He's more Robotic. So emotion is expressed through color and shadow. Even Bumblebee has a higher range in the same pages. So I think it's his character, he's more like a minature Iron Giant. He's got robot puppet face.

1554128027-img-2659.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dead Metal

Ebay:
    That is the laziest and most baseless thing ever. He literally has the same face as Bumblebee, just Rubble has lipstick. Rubble isn't more robotic, his face is the standard G1 face face. Only way this explanation works is if his actual design sheet stated "Rubble can't emote because his face is fake".
    Optimus Prime literally has a battle mask for a face, and yet artists still manage to habe him emote.

• Like Like x 3
  17. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Tonight the streets are ours

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Maybe Rubble doesn’t emote too much because as a new bot he hasn’t had many experiences that shape emotional reactions to things?

• Like Like x 6
  18. Dinobot Snarl

News Credits:
    They have different faces. And design choices don't equal lazy. He's a blank slate, new.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Dead Metal

Ebay:
    Then what's everyone else's excuse to not emote, well save for the times they don't have faces in the art work?

• Like Like x 4
  20. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Funny how for decades there were comic book artists working for this franchise who had no problems drawing emotions even for bots like Soundwave. Y'know, the bots with faces composed only of a visor and a faceplate...

The art is as lively as if it was rendered from .cad files. Looks very in-style with Hasbro instruction sheets. :X

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 2