IDW Transformers #2

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by rikkomba, Mar 27, 2019.

1. misfire19d

misfire19d Geewunner with some cash to buy toys

I’m still waiting for the first 2 issues I ordered to get delivered. :( 

I’m also one of the few people who doesn’t get butt-hurt by spoilers.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Scoff

Scoff Well-Known Member

Agree on all points.

Grimlock was a funny case in IDW because in many ways, it felt like he had the promise of a really interesting story but one you only saw snippets from.

When I was reading Autocracy and saw the flashback about Skar, I went to the wikipedia to see what issue the story with him was in, only to discover that the flashback was the whole story with him. I was so disappointed. What's amusing is that it wasn't even the first time that had happened because I'd read Maximum Dinobots previously and there's the scene where Grimlock reveals how he met Slag in a Primal Guard brig and how that led to him creating the Dynobots and I did the same thing: Hopped on the wiki, looked for the issue and found out that was no other issue.

I kept getting blue-balled! :lol 

It felt like storyline where huge chunks were just missing. The most complete part of the Dinobot "storyline" was towards the end with the Dinobots' redemptions and Grimlock's time with the Scavengers but even that felt cut-off because we never got to see Grimlock be reunited with the Dinobots, which admittedly was just Swoop by that point but still!

IDW's portrayal could have been one of the most compelling portrayals of the Dinobots and they did a lot of good stuff with them: I loved that they gave Slag and the other Dinobots their own time to shine, I love Grimlock with the Scavengers and I loved what they did in Maximum Dinobots by having Grimlock's belief that he could get away with anything so long as he got results backfire (cause and effect leading to flaw and consequence) and how that led to his incarceration and the Dinobots being on their own (and Slag developing his alcoholism).

It feels like it could have been its own meaty 'n' awesome storyline from start to finish.

I so wanted to see something done with Skar and the Primal Guard and the days on the run that I decided to use it in a 'fic.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 6
  3. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Yeah, definitely agreed here. I feel like the Dinobots have been avoided by writers because they are kind of dated archetypes. Their inception stems from the fact that kids liked dinosaurs in the 80s, and their original designs are even dated from a paleontological standpoint. It’s still surprising to me that in a continuity that was so focused on the moral ramifications of its characters that they didn’t have as much of a role in the main ongoing plotlines unless these plotlines directly affected them, or if it was due to actions that had been precipitated offpanel in the past.

Take Grimlock, for all the junk he got up to in the marvel comic, it’s almost incredible how little of that ended up being used in IDW. Especially when marvel was the biggest influence on IDW by far. I do think it’s challenging to make these guys relevant while also making them actual interesting characters, but I think in making a self aware narrative without making the characters themselves self aware would make for a more interesting narrative.

I think the redemption arc for the Dinobots towards the end was accomplished in good taste, but simply told a lot of what they did to make them products of another age and less showing the development of these so called monsters into more self aware archetypes. I think maybe a more streamlined version of Arcee’s arc is more what I would expect from these guys. In that we witness her commit murders and sketchy shit, but by the end of the continuity we see that she has grown a lot since then.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I'm not sure I can continue reading this, even for free as I have.

I can't think of another recent example of a story being choked more by telling and not showing. The entire point of "the new guy" is to provide a lens to allow exposition to accompany the action, but there's so little action and so much exposition it turns the story hollow and dull.

I'm one who seldom complains about art, but there were three pages or so where characters didn't have faces and it took me even further out of the story and made me think of old G1 animation errors instead.

• Like Like x 2
  5. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

On the subject of the Dinobots I feel this was one of their best panels they ever got in the IDW run. It was definitely short and sweet but well done.
    18.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  6. Thumbaticon

Thumbaticon "It's all right, I'm an emergency vehicle!"

Eureka! All this dinobot talk made me finally realize why that page in OP#25 felt vaguely familiar:
    upload_2019-4-10_19-9-53.png
    This was a flashback Grimlock had when he was captured by Scorponok during his spotlight.

• Like Like x 6
  7. Grimlock528

Grimlock528 Well-Known Member

Sorry, which page in OP 25?

8. lilcarus

lilcarus Well-Known Member

the one i posted i would imagine...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Grimlock528

Grimlock528 Well-Known Member

Ah.

10. Treadshot 2.0

Treadshot 2.0 Action Master

News Credits:
    Yeah... this is bullshit. The Civil War was about whether slavery could continue in the United States, full stop. The specific right that "states rights" advocates were trying to preserve was THE RIGHT TO OWN SLAVES.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ismaeel Kamal

Ismaeel Kamal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Dead Metal

Dead Metal Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Maybe it's to finish the art, which would be a good thing. Issue #2 should never have been released in the state it was.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Nelomaxwell

Nelomaxwell Till all are one

Yeah this shit is boring.

• Like Like x 4
  14. ultramagnus1

ultramagnus1 Well-Known Member

Okay so the 3rd issue is delayed by a week but its two weeks between the next three issues so back on schedule

• Like Like x 1
  15. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not to sound like a cold-hearted business man, but a reboot with a brand-new creative team also allows them to adjust salaries downward for all of the new hires, which rationalizes the reboot if it does remotely well. This sort of "shadow cost-cutting" happens all the time in companies that are in financial distress.

• Like Like x 4
  16. iamtfc

iamtfc Well-Known Member

What is this from? Getting caught up on some missing issues with the humble bundle.

17. Ismaeel Kamal

Ismaeel Kamal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Optimus Prime #25.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

Oh it's so hard when we're trying to have a discussion about a fictional race of robot society and all we have to draw on is our own world's politics, governments, wars and history.

So let's all be gentle,,,,beings about this.

That being said, there's a huge missed opportunity with coming up with a COMPLETELY new pre-war society. Ascenticons? Really, that's just painful.

But the Wheeljack scene almost saved this book, the wonder of a moon purposed for energy harvesting? That's pretty damn epic, and Bumblebee's reaction is kinda like us (TF fanboys) "I've got other stuff on my mind and,,,,, you know what? That is pretty awesome." (Paraphrase)

Now if you want some foreshadowing done right, what if that moon develops an appetite, becomes self aware and breaks free from it's moorings to wander the galaxy? (Cue Vince Dicola music)

Imma throw a flag on this though.
    The North outsourced a lot of their infantry to Irish immigrants, set up a wonderful little system when I you had the means, you could pay to have your little Johnny removed from the draft rolls.

Spoiler tag works wonders here.
    Not a spoiler but it's political so if you open it you acknowledge consent that you MAY be offended. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.