IDW Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by SilverOptimus, May 19, 2011.

1. Fenrys

Fenrys Formerly Tigatron2002

News Credits:
    The main book that has been running since 2010 should have a definitive ending with issue 150, but the continuity itself will continue in a new book (for a Transformers show ending, Beast Wars had a definitive ending, but Beast Machines continued the story of those characters under a new writer).

2. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To me it seems stupid to end a comic book and then keep the exact same continuity in a new book. IDW just wants that boost in sales of a #1 issue.

At least to me, seeing a comic with a high issue number means that there is quality in it for it to have gotten to such a high number. Anyone can make a comic series that lasts a dozen issues. You have horrible story series that last at least 8 issues. But you see a comic numbered 170, well it must be good enough that fans have bought into it that it reached this number. Look at Marvel comics, how many series have some characters had before they feel the need to kick it back to #1. In the COMIC COVER thread, you see so many covers of series 50+ years ago with issues in the hundreds. Series you wouldn't expect to have gotten that high. Just makes me impressed with those.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Finally started reading the second omnibus to the Mirage Comics run. Just finished the Return to NY storyline.

The issues leading up to it were a bit odd as I wasn't sure if they were supposed to cannonical or not. We've got a good one with retired super heroes, then a Tales issue that finally introduces Leatherhead, who was bad ass. After that came some random ass story about a time traveling girl or something. I have to say, that is probably my least favorite issue currently as I had no idea what the hell was going on nor did I understand its time placement. The next one with Mikey writing a samurai tale was quite interesting. Then we had one that I'm trying to figure out if it was just the brothers visiting Japan or a dream with them helping a restaurant owner. It was enjoyable. Return of NY was great, though it could have been longer. I loved how the first part had very little dialogue. It gave it a cinematic noir feel. The lone Triceraton was unique even if the way they got into the Foot base was a bit farfetched. Seeing various factions of Foot Ninja was cool and gave me more insight on the accessories the NECA figures came with, but I wish there had been a bit more screen time for the Foot. The battle with the clones felt rushed, as did Leo taking out four Enforcers off-screen, as it were. I do love the showdown with Shredder. I really hope NECA gives us an updated Shredder figure that matches this story.

Overall, so far so good. I continue to enjoy the hell out of this run. Next issue seems to have that girl with all of the clocks on her and the devil looking dude NECA just released.

4. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    GI Joe America's Elite 2.0.

5. Robomaster726

Robomaster726 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So who's excited at the upcoming Last Ronin movie?

Honestly I'm stoked as it's one of my favorite stories ever. My genuine hope however is that if they do decide to utilize a CGI Mikey, which honestly is likely, they keep the look far away from the Michael Bay turtle look. I would truly prefer Jim Henson Workshop to get involved and make a costume and everything like the 1990 and 1991 movies (different studio did TMNT III).

• Like Like x 2
  6. Fenrys

News Credits:
    If they were smart they'd make the turtle designs look like the old 90s movies and they'd get Judith Hoag and Elias Koteas to reprise April and Casey, even if they don't directly reference the old movies it'd be a great way to go with it.

7. Robomaster726

News Credits:
    Ooh love that. Given April's older age and everything, Judith Hoag playing an older April would be perfect. IDK about Elias Koteas playing Casey without some de-aging CGI being involved. Personally I'm iffy on that stuff.

The beauty of Last Ronin is that it doesn't explicitly belong to any one specific TMNT continuity. So it could be part of that universe and totally work. Given those films (namely number 1) were already dark and grittier than most standard TMNT fare outside the comics, it would work even more.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Yea, I could see that about Casey, I've not actually read the comic so I'm not sure how old he is in the flashbacks

9. Robomaster726

News Credits:
    In the flashbacks he doesn't appear to be much beyond his 30s, maybe early 40s. He dies in the flashbacks and timeline it takes place at some point where they're still a young enough couple to have children because April is knocked out in the assault they were involved in (which he dies). She comes to after some treatment by the people in the resistance, and is made aware she's pregnant. In the "present day" portions, she's graying and older, probably in her later 50s/early 60s with their grown daughter (named Casey after her father) keeping up the good fight, in a sense, without a clear plan until Mikey shows up and they plan a final assault with the resistance.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fenrys

News Credits:
    Gotcha, then yea, Koteas wouldn't work well as Casey for the Last Ronin movie

• Like Like x 1
  11. Robomaster726

News Credits:
    Yeah. It's honestly a shame. Like I said, I'm skeptical with the de-aging CGI abilities of Hollywood. I mean it's roughly passable, but frequently comes off looking not so good, and in some cases really evident. They'd be far better off maybe casting younger actors with rough facial approximations for Hoag and Koteas, for those portions of the story.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Fenrys

News Credits:
    That'd definitely be a great way to go about it

• Like Like x 1
  13. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Look what got popular enough to get a comic.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm glad it's finally happening, busce both franchises are as popular as ever!

15. Zarius

Zarius Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

16. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
  18. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker