IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by RobotKnight95, Jan 24, 2018.

1. RobotKnight95

RobotKnight95 Unamused and Insane

News Credits:
    Sonic meets up with friends, Eggman has amnesia, Metal Sonic has taken over Angel Island. So Sonic Heroes II

• Like Like x 1
  2. axl6533

axl6533 metal forever

News Credits:
    So this means no more bunnie rabbot?

3. RobotKnight95

News Credits:
    Well there is a petition online to return the Freedom Fighters (said petition has almost 5,000 signatures) and the writers/IDW have stated they will listen to their fans. Plus Ian Flynn is a fan of them so it is plausible. It all ends up with SEGA's choices which is the only true obstacle. If they do return it will not be for some time and require a proper reintroduction as to avoid confusion from Archie. I wouldn't get hopes up as SEGA is quite unreliable when it comes to these things.

4. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    S
    see, this is something I just never understood. This is the same Japan where a super serious franchise exists where Final Fantasy characters team up with Mickey Mouse and other Disney cartoon characters to fight evil soul stealing shadow demons!
    And surely Sega realizes the bigger part of their game market is outside Japan. Wasn't Sonic Boom designed mostly for the overseas market too? It seems like a no-brainer that a more serious Sonic game with the Archie/SatAM characters would be a big seller there.

5. RobotKnight95

News Credits:
    Well get ready for a plot twist cus I've been completely wrong. It's not Sega's fault but the current comic writers.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  6. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Ouch, sounds like a huge drama filled clusterfuck again. If it's true that IDW and Penders might be able to work out a deal I hope this means that we can see a full re-print of the entire Archie run, say what you will, but at least some Omnibi or Hardcover Trades of Archie Sonic would be a real nice step into the Elseworlds type situation of reprinting and stuff. Though I'm not sure if Archie has the rights to the old comic or not when it comes to re-prints... Considering IDWs ability to work well with other companies for reprints, I mean just look at their Disney material, I wouldn't mind getting a full Hardcover set for Archie Sonic. Sure it doesn't have an official ending, now, but if the re-prints come to light and sell well maybe we could see a special storyline concluding event or something.

7. RobotKnight95

News Credits:
    I checked any basically anything in the genesis wave reboot (Freedom Fighters, Egg Bosses, and the issues themselves) are indeed owned by Sega. So indeed they could have just made a different set of starter comics and carried on with the reboot continuity.

Anyways, I'm only here today as I shared this on Tumblr and apparently I kicked the hornet's nest. Not bothered by it, in fact i find it amusing.

Also, a meme I made. Feel free to use
    meme.png

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  8. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    HOLY S--T!!!! O.O I..am new at this whole Sonic comics and never saw all those characters together. Suck great sequences! :D  And that ending! I wanna battle that thing! :D 

• Like Like x 1
  9. RobotKnight95

News Credits:
    So it looks like issue #10 is getting delayed. Onto other news it appears the current editor, Joe Hughes, has been laid off and is being replaced by Megan Brown. From I can tell she's another type that would fit in with IDW staff and they maybe phasing out Tracey Yardley as artist for someone else, possibly Evan Stanley.

Despite my optimistic tone when this thread started honestly this comic series has been a disappointment. A full year before launching and the first 5 issues are copy and pasted in story. Not much has been presented that's new or never been done before. And to top it off the sales aren't doing well. Archie's final issues had roughly $8000 sum average and IDW's now stand at $13000 on average. I think it will be lucky if this comic reaches 25 issues or 2020

10. Issy543

Issy543 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  11. RobotKnight95

News Credits:
  12. Issy543

News Credits:
    So...
    Metal Sonic just transformed into his final monster form as he did back in Sonic Heroes.

13. RobotKnight95

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

Literally. Fukkin literally?! God-fekkin-dammit. I expected less and I'm still disappointed. Really Ian?! Would it have been too much to make up a new form? Like a form based off Perfect Chaos? Or Metal doing that and copying himself? Howabout Perfect Metal Chaos?! No. Fukk it. Lets just reuse the same final boss from Heroes instead of making something new.

I'll at least give credit for this. This was a smart move for Metal. Only way it would have been better is IF THIS WAS USED IN THE GAME THIS COMIC FOLLOWS.

14. Scrapper6

To be fair Sega was always pretty strict with the game tie-in material during the Archie days... Hell even the Werehog stuff pretty much followed the game storyline only introducing elements like Egg Bosses and the like and dealing with more comic characters on top of the in-game stuff. I'm not surprised that the Heroes boss is being used here, seeing as how we didn't really get a Heroes tie-in back in the day.

15. RobotKnight95

News Credits:
    I get that but I'm pretty sure no one at Sega's giving the instruction for loose game adaptations for game +10-15 years old. Plus I've heard Sega really didnt pay attention to the comics during the Archie years till the Penders lawsuit.

16. Scrapper6

They could be more strict since the lawsuit days and the switch over from Archie. I could be mistaken, but honestly what's the point of getting pissed off at such things?

17. RobotKnight95

News Credits:
    I'm not really that pissed. More faux drunk anger cus bored. I could ramble on various things about the comic but ive sworn to keep drama to a minimum and im too lazy -.-

18. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    Well, this sucks. Oh, wait, not the issue itself, this number was great. Just..something that happened between the action:
    Robotnik seems to be getting treatment to get his old self again :(  And against his will! I know he is Sonic's archnemesis but..I was kinda hoping this whole Mr. Tinker situation lasted for sooooome time and give the oportunity to introduce new villains but..Well, is not that Robotnik will show up in the next issue. But still. Bummer ^^'

Leaving that aside, I dig this whole arc! :D 

• Like Like x 1
  19. Issy543

News Credits:
    What if he develops a spit personality? And there’s a mental battle between Eggman and Mr Tinker?

20. RobotKnight95

News Credits:
    I remain unimpressed. I don't wish to be a downer as I want this comic to succeed despite my criticisms of it. The whole Metal Overlord Return could have been left out, leaving Metal in his Super Form (or perhaps a new form), for the rest of the arc. His transformation into his Overlord form was unnecessary and overall ineffective given it didnt even last against a group of non-super characters despite possessing the Master Emerald. As for the new character reveal I think Ian/Tracey aren't even trying to disguise their stealing of other ideas. The one on the right is Dr. Finitevus, a former Archie character created by Karl Bollers, who Dr. Starline bears a striking resemblance to.

[​IMG] [​IMG]