IDW Solicitations: February 2020

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by AzT, Nov 22, 2019.

1. ProtectronPrime

ProtectronPrime Subjectively Objective

Ebay:
    You know, I'm a pretty moderate guy, and I'm OK with most kinds of fans. Want Grimdark 40K style TOTAL WAR MANLY MAN MAN MANNY MAN STABBITY KILLDEATH TFs? I'm there, dude. Want shipping robots that sit around drinking robo-coffee while they talk about altmode discrimination? I'm there, too. All Transformers for All People. That's my motto.

...but that Twitter post makes me wince.

2. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    Wew. That twitter post encapsulates the reason I've been watching a lot of Japanese mecha as of late. "Omg their such a qt couple x3 I'M LITERALLY CRYING THEY'RE HUGGING~!"

Gross.

Given how shippers are easily the most toxic kinds of fans in anything ever. Nah. They can stay in their sad little circles and preferably out of sight.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  3. SideswipeFriend2005

SideswipeFriend2005 Mirror Universe Counterpart

I really don't know if robots should be able to love? I've always found it a bit unnecessary to have giant robots getting all sappy about each other, but then again, some of this stuff is really cute and sweet, and they can still express emotion, but then again 'Transformers snuggling' hurts my soul as much as seeing pooptimus prime.

4. Bitchwing

Bitchwing I am not a Homestuck. I want that on screen.

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Ah, that Valentines cover... Jack Lawrence consistently amazes me with his ability to keep robots so big and blocky and still draw something so sensual.

5. scrapmetaru

scrapmetaru Well-Known Member

Okay, you don't get to call others the most toxic.

• Like Like x 7
  6. SideswipeFriend2005

SideswipeFriend2005 Mirror Universe Counterpart

Idk, I kinda see where she's coming from, even though I don't totally agree.

7. Bitchwing

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    It is a very sappy quote, lol. But I think the phrasing of that Tweet reflects creator knowledge of the target audience a little bit. People rushing out to get this issue are romantic types for sure, and romance fans do tend to appreciate so-sweet-it'll-give-you-diabetes sappy sentimentality. And like you said, that's all well and fine. Let people like what they like, I say. (And if you're going to do a romance issue? Hey, I say you might as well go all the way and faithfully embrace the genre!)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Boople Barp

Boople Barp Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    oh pshhh, IDW2 is using Valentines Day for shipping? IDW1 wouldn't have needed an excuse :rolleyes: 

• Like Like x 2
  9. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
    Yeah, I'm a long time fan, still a big fan of IDW books, but this feels a bit off... They were pushing it a bit last run, which was fine, but this... I'm not sure how I feel with it. Sure, it's a new direction and being embraced by the IDW publishing staff... I dunno.

10. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    I really have no issue with people enjoying whatever. The tweet is just kinda doofy and it seems almost specifically made to draw the usual fire. I like posting on these threads and discussing the comic, but stuff like this tweet has the tendency to turn the board into a vortex of Angry Internet People.

But whatever. I should play catch up but I kinda lost interest in the series as a whole because none of the characters grabbed my interest. The couple of pages I saw of Megatron yet again punching Shockwave because of course Decepticons can't have a hierarchy without punching each other just caused me to toss up my hands in defeat. Maybe it's worth another look when the new Galaxies book comes out.

11. Bitchwing

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I'm gonna be honest, the tweet seems completely innocuous. On Twitter itself, it's warranted only modest attention, and the author's comments in the replies are jovial and unassuming. If fans are subjecting it to fire, I think it's just our fanbase doing what it always does and spiraling into a Vortex of Angry Internet People. I don't think authors deliberately try to court that controversy. In general, I think with a fanbase as large as Transformers, it tends to just happen naturally as people project their own tastes, desires, political lenses, and past offenses on to what they read. You can't please everyone all the time. When discourse is made with good faith analysis, I think that can be productive. But in this case, it seems to be the same regressive people as usual choosing to get angry because something that appeals more to "shippers" or female fans has been getting attention. The world would be a lot simpler if people could just say, "This media isn't for me, but it's just harmless fun for the people who do enjoy it, so I'm going to mind my own business and leave it alone."

And while it's a separate topic- yeah, I have not been keen on IDW2 in general. It did take a while for IDW1 to get good imo, so I've kinda been circling back here and there to see what new developments have been in IDW2, but my overall feeling toward the lead series has been disappointment since in my heart it still feels like IDW1 was cut short sooner than it should have been and was replaced by this new canon that hasn't done anything cool or novel enough to warrant equal investment from me. I do still expect that as time goes on and authors get switched in and out, it might improve or at least become more engaging to me personally. So I guess I'm kinda keeping an eye on it, but my expectations are on the ground.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    I wish I could see what was causing all the hubbub, cause Twitter’s not loading for me.

Though is Cosmos eyeballing Blast Off? Oh dear...(more directed towards the uproar this will cause).

13. Bitchwing

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I assume it's only the recent tweet linked by @AzT that our little discourse is about, so I'll just post screenshots of the full tweet and replies because there aren't too many. Again, it hasn't really attracted much attention on Twitter itself and seems very normal and unobjectionable. I think the outrage is all manufactured.
    Hope this helps- but if you were talking about something else, let me know!

Attached Files:

14. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Oh I though it was a cover. But, seems like something not worth getting so mad about.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ProtectronPrime

Ebay:
    Oh yeah. Certainly innocuous. I'm sure the tweet is all in good fun and devised solely to get a laugh. My tone isn't really coming through. I'm no tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist or anything.

• Like Like x 1
  16. AshleyCuadra

AshleyCuadra Tieria Prime

News Credits:
    So not a good story for a Valentine’s Day book shipping unknown characters that’ll never make since some just booooooo mistakes except a few that I like which did fit well

17. Novus

Novus Nemesis

News Credits:
    I\'m more than ok with more romance in my Transformers. Honestly I have to thank IDW for the representation they had near the end of the last run, especially Anode, she helped me learn more about myself than I ever thought she would. 

• Like Like x 3
  18. D15M45

D15M45 Player Hater

I am 100% happy with this, I\'m positive this comic will sell well, IDW has been doing great financially!

19. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    It reminds me of those writers who only got into writing to push an agenda rather than a genuine love for the source material or the existing fan base.

• Like Like x 2
  20. TheLastBlade

TheLastBlade Well-Known Member

I love that this quote is either serious or sarcastic.