IDW Should continue Marvel's Generation 2 comic.

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by BlueFlame, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That would work. They did it for time wars also!

2. johnboy3434

johnboy3434 Well-Known Member

When I heard that Furman would ignore G2 if this revival went gold, I was mildly irritated. The completist in me balked, but I realize that at the end of the day not much of value was lost. When I heard that he would ignore the UK stories, I was fucking pissed. The UK stories flesh out the universe and personalities of the Transformers to an amazing degree, and they make up a good half of the entire Marvel G1 library. That would be like releasing a sequel series to the original cartoon, but ignoring everything from the movie onward.

Not to mention that it's sometimes murky exactly where the US continuity ends and the UK continuity begins. "Man of Iron", "Race with the Devil", and "Deathbringer" are obviously part of the US continuity (the first was reprinted in the US line and the events of the latter two received direct references in the US comics), as well as stories they reference, but in "Deathbringer" Prime mentions the Autobot death toll from the battles with Starscream and Galvatron. From the context, Prime was obviously talking about the events of "Time Wars", but the G.I. Joe crossover being canon in the US precludes any Galvatron conflict from happening except for the original "Target: 2006". So Prime must have been talking about that, right? Two small problems: "Target: 2006" happened several years before this story and is effectively ancient history, and Galvatron's Autobot bodycount in that epic? Zero.

Also, while it has no effect on Furman's writing, the Classics stories (which also only follow Marvel US canon) make it impossible for even "Target: 2006" to take place, so Prime shouldn't even know who Galvatron is at that point, much less be talking about a battle with him.

EDIT: Also, doesn't anyone find it odd that by throwing out G2 and the UK stories, Furman's basically tossing out most of his own work?

3. BlueFlame

BlueFlame Well-Known Member

Yes. I find it completely odd.

4. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

The cynic in me says, hes throwing it all out so he can strip-mine it for stories for the new book rather than having to come up with 100% original material... Personally though, considering its going to be the UK comic that IDW is going to have back in print at the time this hypothetical new comic starts.. I don't see them going for ignoring it. since the two, reprints and new books, could complement each other and boost each others sales.

5. leadsled

leadsled the word is "Mortifying"

Kinda hard to keep G2 going with the swarm eating most of the popular cast .....I liked it at the time when I was subscribed to it .... But then at the time I was subscribed to Youngblood and Wildcatts and most of image comics .. ah disposable comics .... I
    Miss them not so..