IDW Should continue Marvel's Generation 2 comic.

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by BlueFlame, Jun 24, 2011.

1. BlueFlame

BlueFlame Well-Known Member

Y'know, like they did with GI Joe when they hired Larry Hama to continue Marvel's Joe series starting with the next issue after Marvel's last?

Get Simon Furmon and start a new Generation 2 series, starting with issue 13.

Please?

2. DecepsRule7

DecepsRule7 Well-Known Member

Have you not seen all of the push for a continuation of the original marvel series with a # 81?

That was spurred by Simon answering in a Q&A that he would be interested in a continuation, but would rather do #81 than Gen 2 #13. However, he has also stated in recent interviews that elements of G2 might make it into the story, should a #81 be greenlit.

3. BlueFlame

No I haven't seen that. I really think he should continue from the end of Gen 2, though.

Generation 2 is the sequel to the original 80 issues. I don't want a continuation that makes the second Marvel series obselete.

Yeah just start with a #13.

4. DeathFrogurt

DeathFrogurt The frogurt is cursed!

Hmmm... I don't think we should derail the momentum that Transformers 81 has for the sake of this kind of concern. The average comics reader either isn't familiar with G2 or remembers it as a pale shadow of G1, and it would be much harder to market. Hopefully Furman can write a continuation of the G1 comic series which occurs before G2 #1-12 in continuity.

5. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I disliked G2 greatly.

Where as G1 escaped the confines of "writing a character cuz his toy is out" and, at the end, allowed various characters to develop their own unique personalities, G2 really did feel like a forced "you're in cuz you have a toy" ... and because you needed a storyline, Simon Furman decided to play on the "Generation 2" idea by making a race of Transformers that were descendants of the Transformers we all know and love.

G2 may have been a continuation of the G1 comic, but you wouldn't know it. None of the storylines present in G1 were ever touched on (except in a single splash-page of Prime reminiscing and Fortress Maximus/Megatron). I thought that introducing a new "race" of Transformers took the spotlight off of the actual Transformers, and created a rather snoozer of a storyline.

At least with G1, we'd get to see the end of nucleon, etc., major story points from G1 that were not touched in G2.

6. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I'll just be interested to see how the Action Masters turn out. Especially if Thundercracker ends up in there. :lol 

7. BlueFlame

This I could live with. Something that takes place before the G2 comic OR takes place after the G2 series, but continues the original storyline of the original series. Without ignoring the G2 comic.

8. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    The only reason I haven't been going out of my way to support the whole Issue 81 petition shenanigans is because Furman basically said he was going to disregard G2. I'm all for tying up the loose ends from the original series, but G2 was and is "The Transformers" to me.

9. BlueFlame

Yeah, I've never understood why writers feel the need to disregard past works to tell their story, when it's just as easy to work around the thing they want to disregard. Personally, I just find it lazy.

But whatever. Where is all this talk about the issue 81 thing, anyway? I'm interested in checking it out.

10. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

11. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm in agreement with Furman - ignore G2 and push ahead with an all-new #81 (with a variant #333 cover please for us UK faithful!)

12. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

One of the last things I read, Furman seemed to be hinting that a lot of the UK stuff would be ignored as well as the Generation 2 stuff.

I can't say it made me that happy. Generation 2 on the other hand, is so 90's, I'm really kind of glad its gone. Yes, it was and is an interesting comic, but lets face it. Starting from G2 #12, you would have such a denuded group of characters that almost no one would be happy. Thats not entirely G2's fault though, the "Lets sweep the board clean" mentality began with the Underbase Saga. Furman started it with Time Wars, and just kept escalating the death toll with each successive book he wrote.

13. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Assuming a resumption of the Marvel continuity does happen, I'd be happy with ignoring G2 and starting from #81 of the G1 series. G2 was a decent series, but it was heavily disconnected from the previous events of the G1 title and had a good wrap-up in "Alignment" anyway. On the other hand, there was a lot of potential ground that the G1 series could have covered, which would provide much more basis for an ongoing series.

Although, I still say that I'd much rather see IDW resume and complete the DW continuity, at least to begin. At least the Marvel G1 and G2 runs had actual conclusions.

14. DecepsRule7

Well, I agree with Furman. Continuing the original makes more sense because it was more popular and was the longest running TF series (time wise) and was responsible for establishing core points of the TF mythos. The G2 series was a sort of continuation but could basically be treated as an alternate ending. I liked G2 and all, but I could treat it as such pretty easily.

15. BlueFlame

What I'm trying to say is that you can still continue the orignial series WITHOUT ignoring G2. There is no reason G2 needs to be ignored. Work around it, not that difficult a thing to do.

Didn't the Furman interview say he wanted to bring the storyline into the present day anyways? Problem solved right there. Both happened, just casually mention a couple of events in G2, and then drop the subject. Then carry on with finishing up the dangling plotlines of the original run.

16. DecepsRule7

Yes, he mentioned moving the story to the present day. But it would be picking up from # 80. So in that 20 year gap you'd have Bludgeon rebuilding, Grimlock discovering more about the effects of nucleon and there would have been a relative period of peace for those 20 years. But there's some inherent problems with including G2 which one would be Megatron (green tank version or classic version). If you're picking up from the original you have to go with classic version and continue his story thread from where it left off there.

Whatever route Furman goes with I'm cool with.

17. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    But then nightbeat and fort max would be dead!

Here he can use them.

18. ginrai

ginrai lost with no way home.

That would certainly mitigate the ability to have any stories set on earth, since at the end of G2 it was more or less left a lifeless cinder thanks to bludgeon and the swarm.

19. Ikkstakk

Ikkstakk Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd love to see #81, but I can't say I'm a fan of ignoring/negating G2. It happened. It's part of the continuity. There are lots of real-world events I'd like to pretend never happened, but it's not possible. And if I'm going to suspend disbelief and transport myself into this fictional world, I can't ignore anything that's part of the canon.

So here's all Furman has to do. Have someone from the future of the G2 storyline travel back in time to a point between G1 and G2 and change something. Presto, a new alternate timeline where G2 doesn't happen, yet it remains part of the larger continuity. An in-story explanation is absolutely essential for me.

20. BlueFlame

^^ Something like that works for me.