IDW Publishing: Schedule May-August 2020

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by ezim93, May 26, 2020.

1. Mercurius

Mercurius Lights your darkest hour

I\'d buy toys of either of those.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Smeg

Smeg Well-Known Member

Milne is a treasure. Love how the flipped hood gives Velocity a baller back tattoo.

• Like Like x 3
  3. AoE

AoE OUR WORLDS ARE IN DANGER

News Credits:
    I think what they're trying to say is that the artstyle itself doesn't exactly fit in with the one in the comic (which I disagree with already, the designs are clearly 1984 but also are fairly "modernized" without looking like the 1984 cartoon).

An example of what I'm trying to get at is be the difference between these two designs for Drift both by Guido Guidi, one that's supposed to be retro and one that isn't

upload_2020-8-12_9-33-46.png [​IMG]

If the artstyle for the comic was made to look like the original cartoon I'd prefer the first one but for a more "realistic" one I'd go for a the second one. Regardless I'd say that despite Ratchet and Prime "looking totally g1", their designs in Transformers vs Terminator fit more with the second "realistic" example above.

• Like Like x 5
  4. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    The issue isn’t that they are different, like @MJY78 said, they’re nice designs (Velocity is a bit pointy for my tastes, but the concept is cool): what I believe @BB Shockwave is saying, and I said earlier is that they look distinctly out of place AESTHETICALLY compared to the other bots, with Velocity’s over the top pointyness and Arcee’s level of toyetic kibble, compared to the other bots having much cleaner, G1 cartoon-esque silhouettes. They don’t feel like they are from the same series, like if you grabbed a new mold RID’01 figure and stuck it in a RiD’15 display.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Phenotype

Phenotype Well-Known Member

Agreed 100%. I noticed it right away and it’s especially noticeable in the page where they’re all standing together.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 Well-Known Member

Y'all better be crossing your fingers. Not really sure if IDW can actually deliver on this given the recent developments in DC Comics.

7. RVDA

RVDA Toy Designer.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Absolutely in love with those designs. Especially how clever the hood placement on Velocity is. I do see what people mean with them not really fitting in stylistically, but the designs are too cool for me to mind tbh.

• Like Like x 2
  8. QuintusTheExaltedOne

QuintusTheExaltedOne Creator of the Quintessons and ex-Prime

do you think we could...see something out of these designs from MMC?

9. MehWave

MehWave Well-Known Member

I love everything about these designs. Finally an Arcee (outside of TF Prime) that wouldn\'t have horrendous back kibble that would need to partsform as a toy.

MAKE THESE HAPPEN, MASTERMIND CREATIONS.

• Like Like x 2
  10. kwanzaabot

kwanzaabot Well-Known Member

Make (clap emoji) these (clap emoji) into (clap emoji) toys (clap emoji) Hasbro

• Like Like x 1
  11. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

The taillights in her feet are off though. Threw me for a second, thought it was a Toyota. Mustangs more often than not have 3 elements in their tail lamps. A call back to the original car. At this point there’s the large outer red lamps, an amber middle and white inner element. Below the stripe the inner two are a reflector.

Still, it’s Alex. He blows everybody away every time the man picks up a pen.

7F5E31D9-7FB3-4452-BA24-152020B635E4.jpeg

Definitely Ford in the chest. Such an odd Fox Body. They were more known as the Mustangs without grills and Ford was first on the block with “aero” headlights after “sealed beam” lights were no longer mandatory.

(Fed regulation at the time was that all cars had to use the same bulbs. Either square or round. Larger two beam or a set of four with one pair dedicated to high and the other low. Doing my part to education the youth, who outnumber me more every year.)

Velocity is rocking that “Screaming Chicken” would definitely love a custom.

(I should probably watch my mouth, a 3rd party is probably already working on a non transforming statue of it for $120+ and I really don’t want to be tempted.)

Edit: found pics

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Raiju

Raiju Go For Broke Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Those are some cool designs! Not overly effeminate and lots of sensibly placed vehicle parts for the robot body and kibble. The Pontiac Firebird hood art basically as a huge back tattoo for Velocity is fantastic, and I'm digging the overall proportions on Arcee.

Arcee sharing Prowl's classic Datsun transformation scheme is pretty cool though I suspect for the front fascia/hood chest to work as a toy, I think she'll probably need the sides-collapsing-inward mechanism of the Alternity Convoy figure to give it a slimmer profile. Otherwise, her chest would be too wide, like on much of the Binaltech figures.

Digging all the techy details on both designs.

• Like Like x 1
  13. markerguru

markerguru tech master TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Those were changes Hasbro asked for since they didn't want them exactly looking like the Mustang or the Firebird. The original drawing have all the proper lights and details for them. Guess you can't get away with Hasbro legal :) 

• Like Like x 8
  14. samisham

samisham Well-Known Member

I actually kinda like the idea of Drift as Springer's resident repaint.

• Like Like x 1
  15. kwanzaabot

kwanzaabot Well-Known Member

Yeah, it works surprisingly well (though I definitely prefer the All Hail Megatron design if only because I prefer realistic altmodes).
    But using Springer works, if only because it would allow Hasbro to finally make Drift into a movie-style triple changer (also the head is about perfect).

• Like Like x 1
  16. samisham

samisham Well-Known Member

I agree on the AHM design, although my favourite is MTMTE. I just prefer more stylized designs to Sunbow G1's general blockyness. But if Drift is going to exist in that aesthetic I think making him a Springer repaint works really well.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

Well that’s fine, if it were a legal issue but since these are Milne’s sketches, I don’t know what Hasbro legal would get invol,,,,,,,,:tumbleweed: 

oooooooooooh! Dare I hope?:jawdropper: 

18. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    Pssst: that is Milne ;) 

I’m sure, even though it’s just comics, Hasbro still has to approve things, especially if you are dealing with “real” vehicles and the potential legal ramifications involved there. So it can be “based on” a Mustang, it has to be different enough to not need to be licensed, like all the near-Lambos they do.

I presume any new Transformers characters created in the comic become Hasbro property (which is why Circuit Breaker and Deaths Head back in the day Debuted in other comics, so that Marvel maintained ownership.

• Like Like x 3
  19. AzT

AzT Moderator News Staff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  20. AzT

AzT Moderator News Staff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits: