IDW potentially up for sale

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by DaveWire, Mar 26, 2019.

1. osenator

osenator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Go woke, go broke.

• Like Like x 19
  2. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We can only hope.

3. samisham

samisham Well-Known Member

I don't think Disney even can buy another comic company, even a small one like IDW without raising the eyebrow of regulators, then again they let the Fox deal through.

4. DaveWire

DaveWire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While the future for licenses for the various properties IDW retains under its belt is another thing entirely, in regards to the actual publishing company, I can see Disney making a bid to purchase it and turning it into the all-ages arm for publishing their various properties. Disney already appears to have a working relationship with IDW on that level, utilizing them for various projects the Marvel bullpen is unable or unwilling to do including a lot of their all-ages work such as publishing the various comics based on the Mickey Mouse characters, Star Wars Adventures, and most recently the Marvel Action line.
    Hasbro could jump ship to another company, and Boom seems the most likely place to go based on their work with Power Rangers. It’s also possible that if IDW retained its autonomy through such a deal with Disney as Marvel very much appears to have, Hasbro, given its working relationship with the Disney properties of Marvel and Star Wars in producing action figures, might remain with them, thus relieving any real worry.

• Like Like x 1
  5. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Haha Disney buy IDW? That's even funnier than what the other guy suggested. That would be like McDonalds buying a hole in the wall burger stand with a 'D' health rating. There is no part of IDW that Disney doesn't have a better version of already in place. Comics, tv and movie development, merchandising exploitation, whatever.

If Disney wanted something like the Hasbro licenses, it would be infinitely cheaper to get them directly from Hasbro than to buy an entire company just to temporarily inherit those licenses. People here say the funniest things. It's great.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Annino

Annino Well-Known Member

All of the characters speak like Ethan from Ctrl Alt Delete and behave like Severus Snape written by an underage belieber. Omg I’m so glad it ends.

• Like Like x 3
  7. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Meh... The digital landscape isn't all the strong. Omnidirectional marketing is key. With an emphasis on data mining - Find out who is actually reading the books and make a comic for them.

The reason comics as a whole are failing boils down to one simple tactic.

The writers were more interested in 'telling their stories'. That's not how you make a successful book.

• Like Like x 5
  8. TCJJ

TCJJ 125% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Yes? No? Maybe? It depends on how the contracts are written, but it's entirely possible that Disney would have to reacquire the licenses themselves.
    Regardless, the point was clearly that IDW isn't worth much of anything since they don't have their own intellectual property (or, at least, none that matter) - why would Disney buy another comic book company when they already own Marvel? They could just wait for IDW to go belly-up and hire any former IDW staff they want. Much cheaper and easier.

And at that point, a company like Hasbro who wants to license out their IPs for comics will have less choice in the market, so they'll be more likely to license to a company like Disney (though I personally don't see Hasbro ever licensing to Disney, especially with Transformers, but it's possible, since they do license from them so they have an established relationship already).

Yes, I'm aware IDW doesn't just make comics, but I wouldn't say they're particularly valuable in general, especially outside of their comic business, and what little they have that is solely their own isn't really worth the cost to buy them.
    Depending on the terms of the license, IDW might not necessarily keep those licenses if ownership of the company was transferred to another corporate entity. I admit that the likely scenario is that the licenses would transfer, but it's not a guarantee, and I doubt a company like Hasbro would have just renewed their licenses with IDW (as they did) without such a clause if they were aware of IDW's financial situation at the time (which they were, undoubtedly).
    Correction: the writers were more interested in shoving their sociopolitical agendas into everyone's faces, and then they started calling everyone mean words when their customers stopped reading their predictably awful garbage that they call "art".

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    • Like Like x 12
  9. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    Yea, I know. I was just trying to put it in a better light.

• Like Like x 6
  10. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    If Disney bought IDW there would probably have to be a renegotiation about the license... UNLESS there is a specific clause within the established agreement that a license would transfer to new ownership if IDW was bought.

11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    That's an interesting and unique misreading of what I wrote.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I mean, they did focus on one target market when they were telling their stories. Yes, the entire industry is contracting but anyone can do basic division and see that the rate of that contraction was much faster at IDW.

• Like Like x 7
  13. RKillian

RKillian http://www.rktoyandhobby.com

News Credits:
    You're missing the point. The point was what IDW has few of its own IPs to leverage. It's not unlike Hasbro's state, so dependent on outside licenses that it would lose 2/3 of its action figure lines in an instant if Disney (Marvel/Lucasfilm) decided to make waves.

• Like Like x 3
  14. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think Disney would bother to buy IDW. Disney barely seems to be aware of the fact that they even own Marvel (comics branch). Disney could've tossed Marvel some of their classic properties like Ducktales (just put the Marvel name on the cover would be close enough) but they didn't. And while Marvel does Star Wars comics now, I suspect that is really only due to them having had the license in the 70s/80s, if that hadn't happened who knows if we would be getting "Marvel" Star Wars comics now. I also doubt Hasbro would care to purchase IDW. Directly creating their own media is not really Hasbro's thing. Although if IDW were priced cheaply enough Disney or Hasbro or someone might bother to acquire them.

As for the state of the comic industry... I think the main problem is major companies have wasted too much time and effort trying to prop up the basically dead "direct market". This is the exact reason why the price of digital books remain so high, trying to keep comic stores in business just a few more years out of sentimentality. Most comic stores around me rely heavily on gaming (trading card type, pen/paper RPG and models, etc...) or other memorabilia to survive and comic sales are a pittance. Physical comic sales also took huge hits with the death of stores like Waldenbooks/Borders and Hastings (Toys R Us had a few comics also) and I'm not sure Barnes & Noble is in great health currently. Walmart supposedly got a few "exclusive" DC books (that few people apparently ever saw in stores) but that is over now also.

+-MWG-+

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hoffman

Hoffman Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Does IDW actually have any value? Do they own any IP that's worth anything? They feel more like a straight publishing house with no real value of their own.

16. G.B. Blackrock

G.B. Blackrock Autobot Ally

News Credits:
    You misunderstand me (as does the person I was responding to). I don't think Disney buying IDW is even remotely possible. I was just pointing out that ownership of the licenses was never the issue (again, despite what my other interlocutor seems to think).

• Like Like x 1
  17. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The conspiracy theory is in assuming that IDW’s handling of the Hasbro properties is responsible for their financial situation. Frankly, I doubt their comics publishing division amounted to more than a drop in the bucket. IDW had TV and other media developments that, as far as I know, were not very successful, which of course leads to a far greater loss than people getting butthurt over what one writer said on twitter.

• Like Like x 6
  18. Gamerlingual

Gamerlingual Moderator

News Credits:
    Keep the conflict down. If you keep arguing, next step is thread bans or infractions.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    Marvel doesn't get in house of mouse related stuff due to prior rights contractual obligations from before Disney bought Marvel. That's why only select things and moderately recent ones end up at Marvel like Star Wars but not stuff like Mickey and Donald or Ducktales or Darkwing Duck.

It also has to do with compartmentalization.

It is indeed mostly this, though is also extensive other expenditures as not all of the media side has floundered all that much either. It's a mix of costs to not enough revenues coming in. Not entirely about the success or failure of any singular arm of the company or group failings. On the contrary, to their separate areas they are breaking even to increasing in profit over time. But the time lapse to that growth isn't the same as other company formats. So the increased areas of expenses compared to the slow growth is the issue. And all sorts of other factors. They don't sudden over the weekend get 100s of millions of dollars like Blockbusters. Or similar in volume to other media forays as yet. It's a slower growth model, and their content creation/acquisition is far out pacing their growth rate. Given time it'd level back out to then back on a steady growth pattern, but until then it reflects a loss. As essentially, more is being spent than is coming in currently which is natural for a growth phase besides other factors.

Has nothing to really do with "Comics are failing!" or "Their other media sucks!" or whatever internet hyperbole. It's a lot of middle business mitigating factors. That's why a streamlining process and thorough in depth review is underway. To find where the business side hemorrhaging is, and correct it/streamline it. This goes beyond the content or the mediums themselves. This is really a natural business thing. More or less idle growing pains.

But you all know how the internet works. It's all one giant tabloid rumor regurgitation system that has no actual factual basis or verifies nor knows anything. It's whatever spin they can use to say whatever flaccid point that has no bearing.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    Well, guess I should just hope that the comics can find a home and not just get dropped on the spot.

I’d hate for TMNT and G.I. Joe: RAH to not get proper endings.

And what’s worse, Transformers had just started a new. Now it might be for nothing....