IDW Phase One Summary?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by BBJazz, Jun 7, 2020.

1. BBJazz

BBJazz Well-Endowed Member

Hi! One of my friends and my girlfriend are looking to possibly get into reading phase 2 of IDW. Specifically MTMTE/Lost Light. Looks like I've sufficiently hyped it up for them. That in mind, does anyone have a link to a good summary of phase one so they don't end up confused? Also, a reading list of things to read before MTMTE so that it makes sense would be really appreciated. Thanks!

2. Dire 51

Dire 51 Line Stepper.

Stormbringer.
    All Hail Megatron.

Otherwise, a phrase for phase one? "Meh."

3. Red Arrow

Red Arrow Active Member

YouTube (Legacy):
    If you know the very basics of Transformers (Autobots are good, Decepticons are bad, there was a war etc.), you can just skip Phase One completely and start with More than Meets the Eye. Everything you need to know from Phase One is explained.

Although it is often advised to read the issues "Chaos Theory" Part 1 and Part 2 (from 2011) first.

4. BBJazz

Okay. I was concerned with things like Scorponok showing up in LL being confusing, or Grimlock's story before MTMTE.

5. Swerve

Swerve Well-Known Member

Yeah, in light of that Maximum Dinobots would probably be worth slotting in first as well.

You'd also probably want Last Stand of the Wreckers, for much the same reason.

The Infiltration protocols and so on get referenced, but it's not really vital to understand what they were.

You could probably really go "Maximum Dinobots", "Chaos Theory", "Last Stand of the Wreckers", "Death of Optimus Prime", and then straight into "More than Meets the Eye", if you wanted to be minimalist and get as little Costa as possible.

6. Lightningsonic

Lightningsonic Well-Known Member

I gonna give you a very short list of what important and can give you a full understand of what happen in Phase 1.

-The Autocracy trilogy (Autocracy/Monstsrosity/Primacy): Origin of the war, Where everything start

-Megatron origin: Well, origin of Megatron. Which is also the origin of Deception. Which can be important, But i think you can skip this since the other comic's reference is enough to tell you what happen. This event before the Autocracy, of course

-Transformer Drift: just think this give a very good perspective from a civilian side, of what happen that lead to the war. I also think this explain Deception Origin better. And, the Circle of Light (who save Drift) also the part that lead to the final showdown in MTMTE ss1. And you direct ask for MTMTE you may want to check this out

-All hail Megatron: This the first war on Earth, not really the first. But the big one, first time the mankind know their exist, a full planet scale war.
    -
    Transformer 2009
    : Continues after AHM, also mark the end of the long 40 thousand year war.
    -Dead of Optimus prime: And you done. now thing split into two main storyline. MTMTE (follow the Lost Light) and robot in Disguise (Follow thing on Cybertron)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  7. Tarrn

Tarrn Bikeformer Fanboy

Given that MTMTE/LL doesn't take part on Earth or Cybertron for the most part, I'd say you can skip over it for the most part. The main exceptions are The Death Of Optimus Prime, which is a one-shot that sets up MTMTE, and Last Stand Of The Wreckers, a miniseries by the MTMTE author that plays into the backstory of some of its characters.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BBJazz

Thank you!

9. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Just read what you can, as much as you can.

• Like Like x 1
  10. omegafix

omegafix Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    here is the entirety of phase one

Transformers #0
    Transformers: Infiltration #1-6
    Transformers: Stormbringer #1-4
    Transformers: Escalation #1-6
    Transformers: Devastation #1-6
    Transformers: Maximum Dinobots #1-5
    Transformers: All Hail Megatron #1-16
    Transformers: #1-31

Infestation #1-2
    Transformers: Infestation #1-2
    Infestation 2 #1-2
    Transformers: Infestation 2 #1-2
    Transformers: Bumblebee #1-4
    Transformers: Drift #1-4
    Transformers: Evolutions - Hearts of Steel #1-4
    Transformers: Heart of Darkness #1-4
    Transformers: Ironhide #1-4
    Transformers: Last Stand of the Wreckers #1-5
    Transformers: Megatron Origin #1-4

Transformers Autocracy
    Transformers Monstsrosity
    Transformers Primacy

Transformers Spotlight: Shockwave
    Transformers Spotlight: Nightbeat
    Transformers Spotlight: Hot Rod
    Transformers Spotlight: Sixshot
    Transformers Spotlight: Ultra Magnus
    Transformers Spotlight: Soundwave
    Transformers Spotlight: Kup
    Transformers Spotlight: Galvatron
    Transformers Spotlight: Optimus Prime
    Transformers Spotlight: Ramjet
    Transformers Spotlight: Blaster
    Transformers Spotlight: Arcee
    Transformers Spotlight: Mirage
    Transformers Spotlight: Grimlock
    Transformers Spotlight: Wheelie
    Transformers Spotlight: Cyclonus
    Transformers Spotlight: Hardhead
    Transformers Spotlight: Doubledealer
    Transformers Spotlight: Sideswipe
    Transformers Spotlight: Blurr
    Transformers Spotlight: Jazz
    Transformers Spotlight: Drift
    Transformers Spotlight: Cliffjumper
    Transformers Spotlight: Metroplex
    Transformers Spotlight: Prowl

11. BBJazz

That's a really comprehensive list, and I really appreciate it, but I know that the people I'm talking about just want to hop into phase two. Do you have a link to a summary of phase one maybe?

12. Kaosu Reido

Kaosu Reido Well-Known Member

Summary of Phase 1:

The Autobots and Decepticons have been at war for millions of years, a war which, for various reasons, has rendered Cybertron uninhabitable. When the war reaches Earth, the discovery of a mysterious Energon-like superfuel referred to as Ore-13 starts a series of escalations that lead to the formerly cold war turning hot. An incursion by ancient, undead Cybertronians, lost long ago to a "Dead Universe", ends with everyone tossed in disarray. Megatron uses this opportunity to strand the Autobot forces on a dead Cybertron, tearing the Matrix from Prime's chest, and unleashes a full on assault of Earth, abandoning all pretense of infiltration or subterfuge. By the time the Autobots regroup and take the war back to the Decepticons, Megatron has all but leveled New York City, and the rest of Earth has decided to nuke New York to get rid of him.

The battle ends with Megatron nearly dead, Starscream in possession of the Matrix and leading the Decepticons (and trying to do a good job), and Thundercracker having saved everyone from the nuke because he felt that the Decepticons had lost their way, and Skywarp repaying him for that by shooting him in the face and leaving him for dead. The Decepticons overall limp away to lick their wounds, the Autobots set up camp on Earth to lick THEIR wounds, and Thundercracker manages to pull himself into a ruined building and gorges on Earth TV while repairing himself, becoming enamored with humans in the process. The governments of Earth start trying to control/entice remaining Cybertronians to their side, Optimus remits himself to government control as a peace offering, and Bumblebee is elected the new leader of the Earth bound Autobots.

At this point a lot of stuff happens that is essentially unimportant, and we can pick up around four or so years later, when Megatron and Optimus have returned, the Autobots and Decepticons both on Earth and are gearing back up, and things start coming to a head again. Spike Witwickey has murdered Scrapper to keep Devastator off the table, Thundercracker is a neutral agent who just wants to be left alone to write screenplays, and no one trusts humans. Megatron allows himself to be captured by the Autobots as part of a scheme to fuck with them, but the Autobots have just found out that one of the ancient undead Cybertronians from the Dead Universe, Galvatron (no relation), has returned and taken over Cybertron. They also find out that Galvatron is being manipulated by the consciousness inhabiting the Dead Universe, D-Void, to destroy Cybertron and unleashed the Dead Universe to take over the "living" Universe. Don't question it.

The battle ends with Galvatron destroyed, the Decepticons being forcibly turned into a giant "Deceptigod" combiner which is taken down by Megatron, and Optimus Prime using the Matrix to purify Vector Sigma. Cybertron is revitalized and "reset" to a primal state, Megatron is lost in the wilds of Cybertron, the Autobots round up all the surviving Decepticons and put them in a camp, and then everyone starts trying to resettle Cybertron. The restoration of Cybertron has also sent out a signal that draws back un-aligned Cybertronians, and the Great War has essentially come to an end, with the new beginning pointing towards uncertainty.

Other odds and ends: Shockwave and the Dinobots were both stranded on Earth and offlined in the ancient past, while Shockwave was trying to stablize the Ore-13 he'd seeded on Earth, and the Dinobots were trying to kick his ass. Both are back in action by the end, but this will have knock on effects later down the line.

Sunstreaker was forcibly bonded with a human, Hunter O'Nion, as a headmaster. Hunter's dead now. The entire experience messed with Sunstreaker, leading to him selling out the Autobots, and then sacrificing himself to save them from waves of Insecticons. When he comes back, he's got a little Insecticon pet named Bob.

Thundercracker is an on/off agent with Earth forces, and has definitively declared himself neutral and a non-combatant. His screenplays are perfect in every way, he absolutely understands humans, and he has a pet dog named Buster. He is the best.

Hot Rod found a repository of infinite knowledge, and then gave it up because shut up. He had the Matrix for a little while, renamed himself Rodimus, and sees himself as a great leader.

Cyclonus was one of the ancient undead Cybertronians who was stuck in the Dead Universe. Events dealing with the revitalization of Cybertron have returned him to life, and he's currently trying to find his place in the universe. He regrets his prior actions.

Optimus Prime is the only 'bot to hold the name "Prime" who has not turned out to be a complete fucking monster. Among previous Primes: Sentinel Prime was a warmonger who got his ass turned into Megatron's throne, Zeta Prime tried to use the lower ranks of Cybertronian society to feed the elites, and Nova Prime was an expansionist and Cybertron-first speciest who got his crew lost in the Benzuli Expanse leading to the Dead Universe, renamed himself Nemesis Prime, and tried to take over everything.

Earth has been immensely fucked by Cybertronians. Attempts to mend the relationships have been middling, at best.

Devastator is more or less gone, thanks to the death of Scrapper. Even when using his corpse to form Devastator, he's left with a dead leg, and isn't nearly as powerful. The rest of the Constructicons are still alive though.

Jhiaxus is one of Nova/Nemesis Prime's minions. He was a mad scientist, but the "mad" part only became public after he and the rest of Nova's crew got lost in the Benzuli Expanse.

Starscream has been trying to find his place again, after the end of All Hail Megatron shook his resolve and ambitions. He's still Starscream though.

That should be enough to get you going. I skipped a LOT, but reading Maximum Dinobots, Last Stand of the Wreckers, and Chaos Theory before Death of Optimus Prime should cover what you need in addition to the summary. I think.

• Like Like x 3
  13. BBJazz

This is actually a really helpful summary. Thank you for taking the time!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kaosu Reido

There's a lot I skipped that might come up in passing: Things like the Predacons working for North Korea, Ironhide having a vision of the future that leaves him feeling spiritual, Swindle creating Menasor on Earth. Especially that last one you'd think would be relevant at certain times, but... not so much. The point is basically: You're going to have oblique references I didn't cover, but I think you can get by with inferences (and tfwiki if nothing else).

• Like Like x 1
  15. BBJazz

For sure. I told the people I'm giving this summary to to just ask me if anything else ends up being unclear. Thanks again!

• Like Like x 1
  16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Here's my Phase 1 summary:

A long, dragged out story that gives up on itself halfway through, with terrible art and even worse lettering and coloring.

17. Kaosu Reido

cool thanks great post really helpful absolutely perfect work

• Like Like x 1
  18. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Thank you. I tried to boil it down to its most basic essence.

If someone is wanting to read Phase 2, not only do they not have to read Phase 1... they almost shouldn't. It's almost like a new continuity. In Phase 2, most of the bad aspects of Phase 1 are gone, but also, pretty much anything that was almost interesting in Phase 1 is ignored. So Phase 1 is pointless.

19. Kaosu Reido

You say that, but for better or worse a lot of Phase 1 does come up again midway through Phase 2. I vote to skip the vast majority of Phase 1 myself, but there're definitely parts that are still important to understand Phase 2. Not necessarily the parts you'd THINK would be important (remember Machination? hahaha neither did the writers), but important all the same.

20. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

As you can see from these replies, it's very debatable how much of Phase 1 is useful and/or necessary going into Phase 2.

When I started someone out on MTMTE, my prologue reading list was: Spotlight Kup, the Prowl/Perceptor double-bill from the AHM coda, then Last Stand of the Wreckers.

This is because the Overlord reveal in MTMTE season 1 is only a powerful twist if you've read Last Stand, and Last Stand requires you know Kup and Perceptor's relationship. Garrus-9 also comes up a lot toward the end of Lost Light. It's still not very neat, but to my mind it's the worth having that context.