IDW Overlord versus Sixshot

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by JasonPrime, Dec 25, 2016.

?

Overlord versus Sixshot

1. Overlord

34 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. Sixshot

37 vote(s)
    52.1%
  1. Omnondippy

Omnondippy Well-Known Member

overlord took over gurrus 9 all by himself in last stand and is a forced to be reckoned with. six shot may have shot down a ship but did he take over a planet???

• Like Like x 1
  2. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

We saw Sixer and Megatron face-to-face, we don't see if they were standing on the same level.

When he fought Optimus's team in Devastation, he towered over the normal bots (most were at knee to mid-thigh level), and about twice as tall as Hardhead, not a small 'bot.

It was hard to say how much bigger he was than Optimus since they weren't standing at the time and the art made it hard to judge, but he was significantly bigger there too.

Not just height, but bulk as well. In all his fights, Sixshot is portrayed as *huge*.

He recruited a lot of Decepticons (already besieging the place) by killing their boss first, he didn't take the facility solo.

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Honestly I think Sixshot.

That's what my gut says.

4. C16

C16 Space Nomad

News Credits:

They're standing in a room, while wouldn't they be standing on the same level? He's also shown stand on flat ground, having face to face conversation with Megatron. Roughly same size.

Also, I never said anything about Sixshot's height in comparison to other, smaller guys. Moot point.

Sixshot is also not portrayed as "huge" guy. Big, sure. He gets that "huge for dramatic effect" that Overlord got in LSotW when he was shown next two Autobots, but not Decepticons and was brought down in size considerably in MTMTE. So, nothing you've said really disputes what I said about him not being bigger than Megatron.

That isn't relevant to what I'm talking about.

5. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

FWIW, in the first of these two images, Sixshot seems to me to be quite a bit taller than Megatron and Overlord, as he's standing some distance back and the shot angle is extremely steep (look at Overlord's left shoulder - it's lower than Sixshot's right shoulder, even though it's more in the foreground).

Not sure what's going on in the second panel, because his position has dramatically changed, and Megs isn't making eye contact with him - it makes me suspect they're meant to be phoning in from different places.

[​IMG]

My general feeling is that there's been little attempt to maintain absolute consistency, and that if we saw them go toe to toe, Overlord would be marginally taller because he has a more slender figure.

6. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

You didn't mention it, I am, since it still matters.

Hardhead's a pretty big guy himself most of the time. He stands only a head or so shorter than Nova Prime, taller than Cyclonus, etc.. Sixshot looms well above him.

I think he is portrayed pretty huge- again, he was notably bigger than Optimus. It's just hard to tell how much from the angles.

I agree on the little attempt to maintain consistency, but feel they've put more effort on making Sixshot appear big whenever he's in combat, and thus would be a bit taller, as well as notably bulkier.

7. gregles

gregles quintesson

I would say an easy win for overlord. Power wise they are both pretty similar but overlord clearly has the more important aspect of intellect on his side as he had the brains and self awareness to ask questions like whether Megatron had also installed some kind sensible weakness or countermeasure in him rather than blindly helping him towards worrior elite status. In comparison Sixshot's rebellion was pretty obvious, dumb and destined to failure and I'm pretty sure if overlord had the motivation to take him out he would find a way pretty easily.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dramatic Spoon

Dramatic Spoon Well-Known Member

This is sort of the Technician vs performer, isn't it?

Sixshot is the professional: Icy, detached, deadly and devoted. It was brought up once in his Spotlight that he's getting tired of it all.
    Something to consider is that he might ignore Overlord out of reflex.
    There's no obvious weaknesses, which is another thing to note.

Overlord is the performer: He's bored, he's flamboyant, he needs to put on the show so that everyone knows who did it, and he's basically doing it for the lulz.
    That said, he's not stupid about it.
    Overlord's only other weakpoint is his fear of losing. Trepan's Trigger is either not included or gone in this scenario, and Sixshot doesn't know about it anyway.

I think Overlord will take it, but it'll be close.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    Stalemate. Both skilled. Both powerful. Both functionally invincible.

10. Lothar Hex

Lothar Hex Perverted Sociopath™

News Credits:
    I've been thinking of this for a while, and frankly. I think Sixshot edges it out slightly for a couple of reasons.

I'll go through some other stuff first and with the caveat that I can only really base this on the characters as presented in the IDW comics, since I have little experience with them outside of that.

Overlord first. From how he’s written he’s more cunning and intelligent than Sixshot, and more strategic, however he’s also far more vain and cocky and seems to miss the small details. This has led to his downfall on two occasions. The second time was Rewind being trapped in the slow cell, a minor annoyance in most other ways, but this small bot lead to his second defeat. That said I feel the first defeat is more telling. That being Ironfist who worked out a ingenious way of defeating Overlord with the material available, i.e. the deterrent chips used for prisoners on Garrus nine. Overlord dismissed the scientist out of hand, yet he was the one who brought him down. This coupled with the at the time “death” of Megatron, lead to him wishing tio be killed as he had no purpose. This seems to show that Overlord under all his power and bluster, has a rather fragile ego. Though this seems to have abated somewhat with Megatron pretending to give up during the recent MTMTE arc, but one has to query that with him giving up the one thing that has kept him going all these years what will happened next?

I think he is far more sadistic and ruthless than Sixshot, which is both a plus and a minus. Both of them inspire fear in the minds of their opponents, but with Sixshot it’s a case “Oh we’re gonna die now” and Overlord is more of a case “we’re gonna die eventually. If at all possible, Overlord will toy with his prey. Most of the time this does nothing but risk said prey dying of stress and anxiety, but sometimes it has led to people getting enough time to work out ways to beat him. I think this might be a part of why Overlord was always beaten by Megatron. Too much grandstanding, not enough getting shit done.

Sixshot, is a bit tougher to characterise because he’s not been in as many stories or issues as Overlord, but we can gleam a little. He strikes me as more of a “blunt instrument.” Not unintelligent by any means, but not the grand thinker that Overlord is. He’s certainly smarter than Black Shadow (well he is now obviously, since Shadow is dead). He is all about “getting shit done.” His abilities seem more in just direct overwhelming brute force. He doesn’t take his time with hunting you down, he just kills you. He’s more versatile due to his six modes, compared to Overlord’s Duo-Con status (I know he technically isn’t one but he has the whole multiple yet separate alt mode thing). However, he also seems to suffer from crippling depression/apathy at times, as evidence in his spotlight, where it seems he just spends his off time doing nothing. This played in to his hands when the Reapers used that depression/apathy and his apparent grudge with Starscream to bring him over to their side. He doesn’t dislike being an engine of destruction but his lack of imaginative thinking could be a weakness if he fought the right opponent.

As mentioned before due to the nature of his 6 alt-modes, he seems more versatile, and from this I think he’s more tactical than Overlord which is different from strategic, but I’ll get into that in a moment. He also SEEMS to be more physically robust than Overlord. This is based on his last appearance, where he got smacked by Metroplex’s arm, and was still going and was also stood on by a fully transformed Metroplex, and survived, if the twitch of the hand is anything to go by.

So this comes down to essentially mental fortitude and toughness and their strategies. And this is part of where things start to be really difficult to determine. Sixshot comes alive in battle and I think he’s more tactical than Overlord, by that I mean, Sixshot is completely at home in the battle and is almost 100% focused and tactically aware. You could prey on his depression which while he seems over, as someone who is suffering from it, it can rear it’s head without warning. Overlord seems more strategic, meaning he’s better at the bigger plans and “the big picture” so could blind side Sixshot with a grand scheme. However, said schemes have been known to be derailed by the smallest thing, as he’s so focused on his big picture and personal enjoyment, he misses the little details and doesn’t really react well to things that don’t go his way.

So it’s a really tough question but I think one thing slightly puts it in Sixshot’s favour.

The Reapers.

Yeah we forget sometimes that Sixshot was chosen to be part of an amalgamation of species that decided to put an end to war itself by pretty much destroying entire civilisations. Now we must ask ourselves why they chose Sixshot over Overlord, but in fairness we can only guess at their criteria. Both Overlord and Sixshot were unhappy with their lot in life at the time, simply being Megatron’s pet warheads, essentially. But I personally think they chose Sixshot because he doesn’t seem totally consumed by savagery like Overlord, and thus can be better at those on the fly tactical decisions that can change the course of a battle. Because of that I think Sixshot just edges it out in a close quarter no holds-barred beatdown. Possibly if Overlord managed to get Sixshot on the ground and to his head, he might be able to do something with the mnemosurgey (sp?) skills he has, though we don’t know if those finger-drills of his would be able to get through all of Sixshots armour, since they both have ununtrium on their endoskeletons.

So I personally think it would be a close one, like ridiculously close, but I think Sixshot’s more tactical approach wins in the end. Really tough one though.

11. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

It does depend on whether we're talking a little-notice fight, or whether one or both is allowed to plan things out. Overlord strikes me as the better planner and could stack the deck in his favor, which is a lot different than if they got in a battle unexpectedly or in a gladiator ring.

I'm sure Overlord could set up a win- the differences aren't that big- but in a non-prepared battlefield I favor Sixer.

All in all, of the Phaser Sixers, I put it-
    Sixshot
    Overlord
    Black Shadow, who I'm guessing is the quickest and most agile of them.
    Tarn, who's not technically a sixer but is considered in that league. He doesn't have the fighting skills of the others and relies on either raw power or his voice.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mkb128123

mkb128123 Lamestorm

Sixshot has only ever been defeated twice: once by being deactivated by a code he was unaware of, the other being stamped on by a city. He was also fought to a stand-still by the reapers.
    Overlord on the other hand has been defeated by the wreckers, beaten to a pulp by Fort-Max, fought to a stand-still with Tarn and literally killed by the DJD.

Six-Shot suffers from depression and is a psychopath, whereas Overlord is sociopathic to the extent that his ego is his biggest flaw.

People are saying that Overlord is clearly more intelligent, but in Sixshot's spotlight, his internal monologues are very eloquent, and he clearly has enough knowledge of himself to strategically fight against opponents. Sixshot is simply more focused on his task than Overlord,

I'd like to point out that Black-Shadow has only been defeated once (that we know of), and he has also bested the likes of Optimus Prime and the Wreckers, the latter defeated Overlord. His greed simply got the better of him.

Sixshot is way more versatile, he can change into six (seven wing-wolf ahahahah) things to suit the situation, whereas Overlord is not a Duo-con in this continuity but rather a triple changer.

Overlord is simply more flashy and loud, Sixshot has the skills to pay the bills.

13. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

In other-LL-Overlord's defense, he was restrained and executed in place.

• Like Like x 2
  14. gregles

gregles quintesson

It seems folks want to assess a battle between them in some kind of 'fair' context free void but there is always a situations leading up to any battle, there is no such thing as a fair fight and intellect (or lack of) is probably more important than power.

Even if we take the implausible example of a tactless brute like sixshot having the subtlety to catch overlord unaware overlord is indestructible enough to keep sixshot at bay until he can bring any countermeasures into play.

Chromedome mentioned overlord having a pathological fear of being defeated coupled with what overlord said to Shockwave about looking into those around him and seeing how to defeat them suggests that overlord has likely spent most of his free time assessing and studying potential threats starting with big bads like megatron and the fellow warrior elites and probably moving onto other variables like outsider tech, Shadowplay and outlier abilities so he likely has several counter measures prepared and waiting for sixshot.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  15. Ricky Spanish

Ricky Spanish Shingo No-Prize

But the LL Overlord broke his restraints claiming them inefficient, he only bothered to move when he found out Megatron was still alive.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Javelin

Javelin Well-Known Member

It's possible the LL Overlord who was killed in place was hit so fast he didn't have time to break free. Even the DJD prob would have just hit him the second they were in the room, either killing him outright, or damaging him so severely he didn't have the strength to break free. DJD weren't dumb, that's what I'd do, incapacitate instantly.

Just a thought - personally I'm not entirely sure who would win - I don't really know Sixshot well enough to judge XD

17. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

Sure, but a lot of those circumstances don't overwhelming favor one or another. An unexpected meeting. Both locate the other and try and take the initiative/ambush the other but neither achieves surprise. A gladiator fight. One achieves surprise and disables' the others starship but doesn't cause significant personal damage to the other. Sixshot lands on Garrus 9 instead of the Wreckers and everyone else runs out of their way.

Mm, not sure about that.

It's not like Shadowplay can be deployed in combat, and outside tech is vulnerable to destruction by Sixer. If Overlord was specifically preparing for him, he'll have something, but it's not like he carries around advanced indirect weaponry, he fights with his own gear from what we've seen.

• Like Like x 1
  18. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
    I don't think we can trust that. I feel like since they're holoprojections they're not scaled to their actual bodies.

Megatron, in my view, is the shortest of that group. Possibly only being slightly smaller than Blackshadow.

So the height, from largest to smallest, is Overlord followed by Sixshot then Blackshadow and finally Megatron.

And, I think with the phase sixers, much like a real fight, the con gaining the advantage during the battle would be the victor, so it could go either way in a real fight. Though I would give it to Overlord because he is the cooler character. IDW Sixshot is boring.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  19. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

REALLY TOUGH. Overlord does have a knack for playing games. Again, perhaps an opening that can be used to Sixshot's advantage. My gut reaction is Overlord, but in anything that isn't two bots just going at it where personalities, ground game, and other factors may come into play, I might give the edge to Sixshot.

20. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

News Credits:
    Just for the record, the other LL's Overlord was most likely killed simply because he didn't have any reason to be alive since probably nobody in the other dimension told him that Megatron was still alive.

Does anyone remember how his first words in his appearance in MTMTE were "Kill me"?

• Like Like x 2