IDW New Transformers #1 Sneak Peak

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Black Convoy, Mar 9, 2019.

1. hendrijr

hendrijr Well-Known Member

I’m just not feeling it. Art looks off. Colors still muddy. Dialogue is ok. I’ll give it a chance through it’s first arc but so far I’m not a fan. Still it looks better than Infiltration did.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ToaDraco

ToaDraco Lightning Strike Coalition Force

Ebay:
    I\'m really excited for this. By the time I got back into Transformers in a big way as an adult fan I was so far behind in the comics there was no point in trying. I\'m looking forward to picking up this series from the beginning. I also like the brand synergy though I wish they would\'ve used the Voyager Prime design instead of the unarmored Leader class version. It looks substantially better in these comic panels but the real thing leaves much to be desired...

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nemisispath

Nemisispath Needs a new username

Every time I see it, the art gets blander.

So Star Wars, but with giant robots and the Emperor is doing what he thinks is right. Interesting.
    Personally, I'd like to see a something set primarily on the Ark as the Autobots search for a new home, with the Decepticons right on their butts. Star Trek-y in tone, Battlestar Galactica-y in plot. Except the Autobots have no clue where to go and Earth isn't the finish line. Oh and Prime and Megs have no prior history.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    Manl there\'s a lot of tell don\'t show here in that Optimus/Megatron/Ironhide interaction. There also isn\'t a lot of substance behind it either. Megatron has grievances and Optimus is like, \"No, you\'re being whiny, things are just fine!\" Which isn\'t really a problem except we just don\'t know what these grievances Megatron has are. Also Ironhide feels really flat here. Like he comes off as just an aide here instead of the gruff bruiser we all know him as.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Gzstg

Gzstg Well-Known Member

I like this I hope IDW goes this way instead of the classic political war like the last irritation. A war between generation is new to Transformers I think.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Boy, they're really going for toy accuracy, aren't they? COMBAT and add-on ports galore on the character models, it's like Galaxy Force/Cybertron including screw holes and gimmick levers on the animation models.

Do they not hire people who know Sci-Fi? If they were upfront and I missed it, I can be more forgiving if this is really just a blatant "toy commercial" for the siege line, though it shouldn't stop quality from happening, but if someone was dumped the lot of toys and told to come up with a comic to sell them along with a "plot checklist" provided to them, at least I could understand it. If it's just their own thing and they're just using the toy models to get Hasbro to chip in more financing, then what we're seeing isn't very confidence building.

• Like Like x 2
  7. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    These are more for new readers who may not KNOW the story. The fact that anyone HAS to explain that...

8. Hound89

Hound89 Well-Known Member

So rebels vs the empire same as always...wow what brave new thinking

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lore Keeper

Lore Keeper Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    YouTube:
    I have a feeling they're going the opposite direction. I think there will be some large event, maybe a vicious battle, where he'll emerge as Optimus Prime proper, with a more recognizable form.

10. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I see a lot of what they did before with a new coat of paint. Shame I loved the early IDW.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Paok

Paok Well-Known Member

I think this is what a lot of people need and low key expect from every other reboot as a whole all these years, in general. Essentially what Netflix Voltron did with the original Voltron, or what Dreamwave tried to do. I don't understand why we have to get through a million random reboots that try to fix every single that was never broken (instead of the ton of things that were) before that happens.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall Whiskey Powered Gunpla and Cow Master

I like the idea that it blends some of IDW\'s establishments from the first generation, but making Functionism more of an \"acquired\" skill than being built with treads or wings already. Megatron bringing Decepticonism as a Political movement first before it escalated into War... You can already tell the current US History Parallels with the idea of \"Rallies\" that turn violent because of the outsiders..

13. misfire19d

misfire19d Geewunner with some cash to buy toys

I think Marvel did that reasonably well.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Paok

Paok Well-Known Member

I see they're doing the most tired of all cliche of the two main rivals of the story being buddies before the story starts again. I really hoped that they wouldn't... Once again, Decepticons seem to be not a culture of their own, like they used to be, but rather displeased Autobots more or less. And why does Orion Pax look like Optimus Prime, before becoming Optimus Prime? Contrary to most other commenters, though, I kinda dig the art. It's kinda clean looking, while detailed at the same time.

Also... Who came up with "Ascenticons"?!?!? Hahahah

• Like Like x 3
  15. TheWarPathGuy

TheWarPathGuy Hey, don't have a stegosaurus man.

W H E E L J A C K

16. IgnikaMarcus

IgnikaMarcus DON'T TRUST THE RENDERS!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So, apparently rescuing Prowl from being pinned under a pylon is a traumatic experience worthy of excessive therapy?
    Brilliant!

Also, Orion and Megatron are Senators now?
    Guess that explains why they used the Leader design.

• Like Like x 6
  17. NanakoPreame

NanakoPreame Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    No, it's the tounge lashing afterwards that did that.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Bumblebee2000

Bumblebee2000 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The alt-mode scenario we've seen in the past is still different enough and despite being really dialogue heavy for two pages of a comic book (sure none of my favourite series have that problem) it does work for what you can read into what has come before that conversation between Op and Megs so general feeling is still that these pages have won me over, but that Ironhide page is awkward though. don't know how I missed that before.

I guess it's supposed to introduce Megatron and Prowl, possibly before they have ever been shown, and even have some humour/callback for fans of IDW1 Prowl but it takes a paragraph and it could be anyone saying it (sure none of my favourite series have that problem).

Happy to get 4 issues in before I give up and will probably stick with it longer but hoping it's more of pages 2-3 and less of page 1. Can't really judge 4 without whatever comes after but nice colouring.

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Is it just mean, or is this very uninteresting?

I'm so tired of the political drama of Transformers. And I'm tired of Optimus and Megatron being "old friends." I want a Megatron who's a rogue on the loose, building an army and Optimus has to put a stop to him ala G1 or BW. The problem with trying to constantly make Megs and Prime old friends is that it's not nearly as interesting as them as enemies, yet so much time is devoted to it because it supposedly adds depth. But you don't need depth to have a compelling relationship between adversaries. Often times it's the opposite. Two people who hate each other just because they're fundamentally different forces works far better in this sort of long story than a supposed betrayal plot that we all know how it ends.

I miss the fun of the hero verses villain. "Stop right there, Megatron!" "Optimus Prime! Here to save the day?" "Only if you make things difficult, Megatron!" or some not-as-lame version of that, where the two had a sort of witty repartee. Even ignoring that as my personal preference, it just seems like IDW is doing the same thing they did before with ever so slightly different packaging. Windblade still sticks out like a sore thumb, too. (just give the woman a new design for God's sake)

• Like Like x 12
  20. YoungPrime

YoungPrime DJD VET

News Credits:
    The dialog wasn't too bad. But like many have stated the plot is kind of tired...

And while keeping an open mind on this "Reboot", how much of the old IDW origins will I have to disregard in order to force myself to love this version....

• Like Like x 4