Heavy/Scratch: IDW/ MTMTE Whirl - (3D Printed)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by HightailStd, Jul 1, 2020.

1. HightailStd

HightailStd Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    3D PRINTED IDW WHIRL w/ Easy Transformation

DOWNLOAD WHIRL AT CULTS3D:
    https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/transformers-idw-mtmte-

IMG_5156.JPG

I was asked in one of my Thingiverse comments to make a Whirl. I sort of said no at first, but... it was stuck in my head, how I could design a Whirl with an easy transformation, and have him in my collection as well. It took a day or two of fine tuning but I think the file I have now is the final one.

IMG_5156.JPG

A few years back I also did a Whirl, made him out of AoE Voyager Drift. I took most of the transformation from there. I wanted to make him in scale with other MTMTE figures, standing at 16 cm tall, he's around a modern Voyager size.

After Rung and Minimus, I had a better idea how I could tackle articulation in a figure, and how I could assemble it minus small parts like in the Rung project. Stick to what works, bin the ones that failed. For the articulation, I created ports and indents for a swivel, and put in 2mm holes to join parts for in and out movement.

Currently, I have ran out of resin. Used the last of my bottles on him, as seen in the different colours on his prototype. I have to get more resin to print the pieces below his thighs as well as an updated, new back piece.

IMG_5148.JPG

I tried to make him as accurate as possible and I think he is quite close to the panels. For his transformation, unfortunately, I haven't mastered enough skills to make him transform without partial parts forming. Uh oh.

IMG_5150.JPG

To transform him, his claws and head need to be removed, and his back pieces and wings need to be relocated into his alt mode roof.

His waist move up and rotate, angling his toes upwards, like in the comics. I'll have to take pics once I get new resin, I don't know when that will be but it should be rather soon.

Alt Mode version 2

IMG_5153.JPG

I wanted to have his circular propellors face up in alt mode, but I looked into putting a swivel into the arm joint but that would be too heavy for it. So I made some sacrifices, this is the only way you can have his propellors face up, but his arms stick out too. I prefer the look when the arms are tucked in his body, as it gives Whirl a much more slender and aero dynamic look.

IMG_5155.JPG

Here is what he would have looked like if I had enough resin to have his legs fully printed out as well. I noticed upon writing this that he was a little tail part in his alt mode, I'll have to design that as another part then.

The reason I had to print a new back piece was that the V shaped fins attach by a 6mm port, but the ports on his back piece are only 5mm in diameter, making them look and not stay in place, but it does work.

Here's pics of him in the programme.

Screenshot 2020-07-02 at 2.23.31 AM.png

Update: Here he is with the other Lost Light Crew.

7F4D71D8-2F0E-4CE7-988E-C29CF05A7D5F.jpeg

Looking at that really makes me want to make a Cyclonus in the style of this Whirl.

I'll update when I have the rest of him printed, and I do so look forward to painting him! Thanks for reading and comments are welcome!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 30
  2. Noble1skull

Noble1skull Tra nsforme rs

Lookin' good!

• Like Like x 1
  3. ThunderDestron

ThunderDestron Vast predatory bird

Cooooool! Parts forming really doesn’t seem that bad, considering how accurate this looks to MTMTE

• Like Like x 2
  4. NewtypeS3

NewtypeS3 Well-Known Member

He looks so good! Those legs are awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  5. HightailStd

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Well, if its not too bad then I’ll make an extra part that’ll be comic accurate hover propeller parts which slot in to the arms then. So he could be accurate in both modes!

• Like Like x 3
  6. Theleochat

Theleochat Constructicon fan

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Awesome

• Like Like x 1
  7. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    I love the MTMTE Whirl. This is fantastic!

8. HightailStd

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Thank you. He'll be done soon!

9. HightailStd

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    A quick update on this Whirl:

I've leaned into the more parts forming aspect of Whirl, giving his accurate Turbine pieces and his tail fin in Alt Mode, as well as giving him a set of grabbing hands equipped with a 5mm port. He looks better in his 'helicopter' mode now!

Whirl Promo.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  10. ThunderDestron

ThunderDestron Vast predatory bird

NIIICE!

• Like Like x 1
  11. HightailStd

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    OK. So Update:

The parts for this Whirl have all been printed and assembled. He's around 17cm tall and stands tall than Titans Return Rodimus with his conversion kit. All parts work well and are solid. He is able to stand without a flight stand, a worry I had prior to assembling both his feet.

IMG_5368.JPG

His grabbing hands fit in nicely as well, and his arms are able to hold the weight and remains sturdy. The turbine parts that were original solely meant for his alt mode can actually store on his backpack and doesn't look too bad in my opinion... I don't think it makes him back heavy because of how long his legs actually are.

IMG_5375.JPG IMG_5378.JPG

He is able to transform into his 'hover-copter' alt mode nicely, and with a very simple transformation. I'll film a video showing off him and his partial parts forming transformation once he's all painted up.

IMG_5380.JPG
    IMG_5382.JPG IMG_5381.JPG

In his alt mode, he's about the same size as Rodimus (deluxe). All parts fit nicely, some after just the slightest bit of fitting and sanding. The picture below is him after he's primed, and you can see the number of parts Whirl has. It's not too difficult to assemble yourselves!

IMG_5389.JPG

IMG_5385.JPG

Now he's being based with blue to get ready to be panel lined and painted in his nice comic accurate colour scheme! More updates to come and comments are welcome!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 8
  12. HightailStd

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Another Update:

Painting is completed and ready to assemble once the top coat sets. Assembled Pics to come.

91E7EEF2-6AB1-4E90-B609-7BBD57E1BD9F.jpeg

The Whirl files will go up onto Cults for £2, hope it’s ok for anyone who’s interested.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 4
  13. Scarlet knight

Scarlet knight Emergency Food Connoisseur

News Credits:
    This looks fantastic!

14. HightailStd

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Thank you! Appreciate it.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Theleochat

Theleochat Constructicon fan

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Looking really nice

16. HightailStd

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    WHIRL IS UP FOR DOWNLOADING:
    Download 3D printing models Transformers IDW/ MTMTE Whirl ・ Cults

Finally Whirl is assembled and I have filmed a short video review to show the transformation process, articulation, size comparison and the assembly process.

Below are some screenshots of the video, apologies for having the microphone so close. And the extra soft reviewing voice. But anyways, he's done.

IMG_5442.PNG IMG_5441.PNG IMG_5440.PNG IMG_5439.PNG IMG_5438.PNG

Thanks for watching the making of this Whirl! Next up, MTMTE Ratchet! Hopefully no parts forming this time.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  17. Cell0113

Cell0113 Hyperactive Procastinator

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Oooooohohohoho! Looks like somebody is ready to be unvinicible and go kick some tail pipe!

I like that you took into account the inherent issues with MTMTE Whirl being such a gangly weirdo rotary birb and filled him out for a sturdier stance and posing ability, it still looks like him but he also looks like he finally had a sandwich after however many millions years at war.
    You also did a bag up job on the painting, nice work!

18. HightailStd

Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    It’s a shame I couldn’t have made him the gangly weirdo that he is though. I love how skinny Roche drew some of the MTMTE characters and I actually prefer his style for Rodimus and Whirl compared to Milne’s, which were also fantastic.
    Looking back, I think the main thing that stopped me from making him more slender was the tolerance of the resin I was using. I was worried that a 2mm screw would snap the joints and make him less sturdy in the long run. I’m thinking of making an action masters line for the Lost Light crew so with some of the articulation out of the way I might be able to finally make him skinny. Thanks for your support!

• Like Like x 1
  19. theosteve

theosteve Well-Known Member

Very impressive work!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Cell0113

Cell0113 Hyperactive Procastinator

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I totally agree, the gangly whirly-bird is an iconic figure and super fun to boggle at. I do still think that making him a little bit chonkier helps a lot with the support issues a gangly model would have, not to mention the absolutely minute joints and other delicate thin parts to keep him standing. I have a posable Jack Skellington figure that is just all limbs and I keep him in a close display case specifically so he doesn't get jostled around by my cat, yet he still managed to snap off one of his itty bitty hands!
    With a figure as top heavy as Whirl, I shudder to think how frightfully finicky all those delicate limbs would end up. Unless you created the slender parts with a metal core? I dunno, a thought for the future I suppose.
    In any case, keep being awesome!