IDW Megatron 10 years on - What is your overall impression of IDW meg's character arc?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by batfan007, Dec 15, 2016.

1. batfan007

batfan007 Double the Dragon

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

So I'm writing a new article - this one about the ten year (well almost ten years since Megatron Origins) journey of the IDW Megatron.

What are your overall impressions of the longest form TF fiction yet (other than the live action movies), what do you like / dislike about Megatron's journey, his origins and stories at IDW?

PLEASE NOTE THIS A IS THREAD FULL OF IDW COMICS SPOILERS.

If you don't want to read spoilers, don't read this thread.

I'm keen to hear from people that loved his arc, hated it, or are indifferent, I like to find out different contrasting points of view to get more perspectives than just my own thanks.

• Like Like x 2
  2. ZeroiaSD

ZeroiaSD Autobot

I loved his arc- his early history is interesting, and his redemption put him in interesting places. In the middle he was more standard, but on the whole? Great stuff.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  3. JasonPrime

JasonPrime Well-Known Member

I love IDW Megatron. They've really hit it out of the park with several characters, but I love what they've done with Megatron most especially. They have added so much depth to the character and moved him for the first time past being just a one dimensional villain. I appreciate what they've done with him and I appreciate Hasbro allowing them to do it; it was something of a risk I think. But a risk that has payed off and I feel we may see it carry over into other media. Actually we already have as we saw in the (awful) combiner wars animated series as Megatron allied with Optimus.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Stryker055

Stryker055 History Man Extraordinare

If you look at his Chaos Theory/Megatron Origin/RID/MTMTE character progression, he's one of the more well-developed characters in all of Transformers fiction, and far and away the most deep and interesting incarnation of Megatron.

If you take all of his IDW appearances into account, things get a little choppy in the -ations and AHM where his motivations start to skew, mostly because he was written as a blank slate for the majority of the early continuity (like, read Megatron: Origin in a vacuum and try to discern any rational character arc for Megatron in his own damn miniseries). Fortunately he's been successfully realigned and sort of retroactively made better in the last few years, so it's not too bothersome.

• Like Like x 7
  5. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Probably the most unconventional take on Megatron making him a fallen hero who strayed from his original path.

Props for be an interesting take.

It's hard to really adjust to the idea that Megatron whose warmongering killed so many lives amongst the cosmos could be forgiven and redeemed but props for IDW for trying something new.

• Like Like x 2
  6. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Well-Known Member

Megatron's arc has been pretty exceptional, with notable low points being AHM and the -acy's. I can tolerate AHM, but I think IDW would be wise to declare the -acy's non-canon as not only are they terribly written and full of plot holes, but Megatron is entirely out of character for his IDW persona.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Rewind

Rewind Data Stick

News Credits:
    I have never loved Megatron as much as I do right now in current IDW.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    I feel like there's still lots more to see of his arc that wasn't touched upon in season 2, which I hope we'll see with Terminus. I love the direction he's gone in, personally, and think he's one of the best characters in MTMTE at the moment.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Mercutio

Mercutio Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Best characterization Megatron has ever had? Simple as that.

• Like Like x 3
  10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    It's a great concept on paper. In concept, it's the most interesting, satisfying version of Megatron ever. But the execution has been incredibly uneven. I almost wish IDW could reboot completely, take every good idea concerning Megatron's origin and journey, but hand it to better writers (and better artists, while we're at it). Especially Megatron Origins. A great central story, but told horribly. The fact so many people still like it anyway shows how strong the idea for the story is. But holy crap, what a disjointed, muddy mess. And then everything being built on that shaky foundation lessens the entire thing.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II The Pristine

News Credits:
    IDW Megatron is most interesting in Megatron Origin, All Hail Megatron and Roberts Flashbacks.
    If you want a fleshed out character those are the places to look for it.
    All other appearances of the character have been bland as can be and the redemption arc leaves me cold to be honest, its more of a narrative tool than it is a character.
    Yeah we can get a few laughs about Megatrons interactions with Autobots and yeah we get to discuss the merits of the whole concept but the by-products of the idea: DJD, Terminus, the mutiny, Brainstorm, let alone the functionist universe where always more interesting then redemption Megatron himself.
    It is a terribly overrated concept that i feel is symptomatic of MTMTE's second season.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    IDW Megatron is a tricky subject. The various aspects are great (my favorites being the Flashbacks and MTME), but when you remember that they are all meant to be the same character, things become kind of murky. MTME Megatron is really damn cool and well developed, but when you remember his history, it's really hard to not realize that you're essentially reading a redemption story about robot-Hitler/Stalin. It's good writing, but the setup was not good enough to make it feel deserved.

• Like Like x 1
  13. batfan007

News Credits:
    All Hail Megatron was an odd one. I loved it, but it works best as a stand alone series imo, as it really makes no sense in the overall IDW cannon with the bookends of Origins and MTMTE.

I kind of saw it like All star Superman or Batman:Hush and stuff like that, where it's just a decent writer and artist, hitting all the great stuff we love about the classic version of a character - like a greatest hits album from your favourite band, it doesn't really do anything new, but god damn it still rocks and is great fun. I could be wrong, I have no idea what the intention of the project was, but it's the kind of thing that is best read in a day or two , and you could hand that story to any old school toon fan and they are going to enjoy it.

• Like Like x 2
  14. batfan007

News Credits:
    I think it's key thing that he has NOT been forgiven or redeemed. The thing I notice reading the MTMTE run for the second time all the way through recently is that Megatron comes to place where some people who go to prison get to, where they get a chance to reflect on things they have done, and come to a different idea about themselves, and see the error in their actions. Granted that is like maybe 1% of people, most maniacs, murderers and genocidal war mongers are unrepentant bastards who would never bother to contemplate their actions, let alone regret them.

"AHM" ?

"acy"???????????????

I have no no idea that those abb. means.

I read the first line and I was like, this is going to be "IDW ruined my childhood...wahhhh!"

But then you went up to sum up his main story arcs very well in fairly neutral language that could have come from someone who love the stories or hated them.

I nominate you for the "TFW2005 Cybertronian Diplomat of the Month" award.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  15. lordcryotek

Sorry, bad habit.
    AHM= All Hail Megatron, Written by a lot of people. It had some good people involved, but was at its best very inconsistent and Megatron was acting pretty stupid for a formerly cold and calculating leader. I blame Shane McCarthy. Good art, though.
    -acy= Autocracy, Monstrosity, and Primacy, written by Metzen and Dille, and illustrated by Livio Ramondelli. Nothing good to say about this one, it pretty much completely ignores all previous continuity for dumb reasons. Some people like Ramondelli's art, I personally think it's bad because it ignores things like perspective and consistent character design. Really no redeeming qualities.

• Like Like x 2
  16. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I have never liked Megatron before as a character, but now he is the best thing out of the IDW series to me.

• Like Like x 2
  17. batfan007

News Credits:
    My take on it was that it toon Megs, hence simple rather than complex.

18. lordcryotek

Yeah, it's a story that could have fit in the 80's cartoons but I personally feel it has no place in the IDW universe.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Danforth

Danforth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This bit, for me, is the hardest part of his character development to reconcile with the rest.

Escalation established that Megatron is a bot of changeable humours, which helps handwave some inconsistencies if we squint :)  Megatron Origins he was pretty much an unreadable cipher, we can project anything we like onto that. AHM planted the seed that there was more to him than just beating the Autobots, and possibly bored with the four million year war, something Costa picked up on, though we didn't really learn more until Chaos Theory. He did the Right Thing in Chaos, faced up to his crimes, and went on trial - oh, wait, I have forgotten exRID season one where he was randomly a cackling villain again!

• Like Like x 2
  20. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Honestly, it's kinda hard to take the entirety of IDW as a single continuity. There have been so many different takes on the more recurring characters, that conflict with each other. Even John Barber has been guilty of this and he's the main person who's desperately trying to retcon everything together. Megatron is one of the most inconsistent characters in IDW and trying to view all the different versions of him, that different writers wrote, as one character is impossible. While I think MTMTE went to shit during the three years of season two, I do think that, when Roberts remembered to actually do something with Megatron, he handled him pretty well. It's such a pity that it ended up being the only decent arc in season two.