IDW Media Holdings: Second Quarter Fiscal Year 2020 Results Released

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by AzT, Jun 15, 2020.

1. AzT

AzT Moderator News Staff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  2. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    if idw is desperate for money, they could always bring back Lost Light and Till all are One.
    good writers makes good books.
    people buy books with good writing.

• Like Like x 2
  3. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    I don't mean to bag on you, Buster... but that kind of comment is exactly why I hate that this sort of financial info gets posted here. I'm not going to say TFs means nothing to IDWs bottom line (if that was true, they wouldn't publish it), but I will say that even if they were still publishing the old books, there would be almost no difference whatsoever. IDW's problem isn't Transformers comics; they publish lotsa stuff. The problem is the ever shrinking American comic book marketplace and their dalliances into television (and even then, even if they lose money there, it's the TV deals that probably keep the lights on).

• Like Like x 8
  4. Lore Keeper

Lore Keeper Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Netflix canceling several of their upcoming shows certainly didn't help things. In fact, that may have been the final nail in the coffin for their plans. I hate to see it because if they go under, who knows how long it will be before another publisher is entrusted with the Transformers property.

5. misfire19d

misfire19d Geewunner with some cash to buy toys

My favorite part is when they’re happy about how IDW Publishing is not losing as much money as they could have because of their coloring books. :lol 

• Like Like x 7
  6. Mattymo

Mattymo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah let’s bring back till all are one except the writer is busy doing other stuff and the artist has chosen to focus on her career and leave comics for the time being. Forget that half the cast of that book died including the main villain and the setting of the book(cybertron) doesn’t exist anymore and yes bring back lost light except that story Roberts wanted to tell is now told beginning to end with Roberts also deciding to take a break from writing comics. Makes total sense.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    they brought Furman back for Regen 1, despite the existence of the Generation 2 comics.

dont see why they couldn't do something similar for Roberts and Scott.

8. Mattymo

News Credits:
    because they concluded their stories, Roberts more than Scott but they don’t want to write comics. Scott is working on new things and Roberts has very much said he’s taking time off from writing transformers and IDW is focusing on their new universe. Nobody behind the creative teams of those books wants to return and regen was 20+ years later so yeah I guess there is a chance in 15-20 years but for now they are not coming back and if they want write they will probably be dabbing in this new universe because that continuity is concluded

• Like Like x 2
  9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Formerly SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    That all hinges on whether you consider LL and TAAO "good books."

I mean, if they were so good, why did readership go down?

• Like Like x 7
  10. Whomps

Whomps Well-Known Member

I mean, given we were in the middle of a pandemic, comic stores closing and even physical distribution stalling, the poor sales are kinda expected

• Like Like x 4
  11. Mattymo

News Credits:
    TAOO was one of the bottom sellers. It’s was and they asked Scott to go in a new direction and she said she didn’t want to and instead letting her go and picking a new writer like they did with Shane McCarthy and made all Hail Megatron they gave her time to wrap up her book even gave it a double sized annual to conclude it. People can bitch all they want but companies don’t do that! And it’s not like it ruined her relationship with IDW, they both still talk fondly of eachother.

As for Roberts and MTMTE AND lost light I mean Jesus Christ look at the train wreck of a final arc. He was given over a year notice and it was still a giant mess. I’m not saying a terrible writer but man that’s terrible planning. He just just wouldn’t edit anything out and just crammed everything in and it was awful. But he still has a solid relationship with IDW and after a decade of writing comics he said he’s taking time away from writing transformers.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Mattymo

News Credits:
    exactly and they’re being really positive about it all and have amazing relationships with all the companies they license with.

it’s just comes down to the people complaining here are same people who hate the new books and just want the company to fail for no good reason except for the fact they just don’t like it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Driskull98

Driskull98 Icon by @Bugbrainzart on Twitter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    That's like asking why some of the most celebrated movies of all time weren't box office hits on release.

• Like Like x 1
  14. MrOdo

MrOdo Member

That's a dumb argument and you know it

• Like Like x 2
  15. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    It's not though. Why did the readership go down? I'm curious. It's okay if you don't know the answer but it's not exactly productive to say "this argument is dumb" and not specify why that is.

Yeah, lets revive two books that weren't doing well financially. Good plan.

Furman being the better writer may have something to do with that, I dunno, just a thought.

I'm pretty sure both Scott and Roberts conveniently 'decided' to step out and focus on other things cuz they were getting canceled either way, so to save face they just claimed they were stepping away and doing something else. Looks a bit better than having canceled titles under your belt due to low sales.

I'm sure if Scott desired it, IDW would have given her another ongoing that probably would've eventually fizzled out too because she's not that good at writing. People still think she left of her own choice, when I'm pretty sure the middling sales contributed more to that, personally.

Roberts may have done that too, I've also heard an amusing (and not too unlikely) theory that he made a conscious decision to step away from Transformers due to the fanbase he had pandered to and cultivated (that had tried to attack him multiple times based on BS) because he was afraid they'd turn on him the next time he slipped up. Just conjecture on my end but if that's a contributing factor, can't say I blame the guy. Then again it's his fault for pandering to idiots on social media, Tumblr and shippers in the first place.

This can sometimes apply, it depends on the film / book being discussed and definitely isn't a certainty. Here it definitely doesn't apply because Lost Light and Til All Are One aren't that great.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  16. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    No, it's not. It's perfectly valid as poor books don't keep readers and good books don't tend to bleed them out.

Oh, and welcome back.

• Like Like x 1
  17. The Mad Demobot

The Mad Demobot Well-Known Member

Bumblebee was a good movie, but we were lucky it made any money back twice to start a reboot.

Point being media doesn't need to be bad to have bad sales. Sales coverage for most of IDW's books are terrible because next to Marvel and DC there's zero competition, and most of there stories outright SUCK. IDW is not a comic powerhouse like the big two so the only thing one can do is push coverage by word of mouth to get people talking. We're lucky Comixology and mom and pop shops still exist in this day and age.

Plus Pride month is here pushing the envelope and I find it cute but funny how a franchise built on getting boys to buy cars that turn into robots has the best representation of LGBT relationships in recent memory.

18. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

News Credits:
    It could be luck, maybe something to do with Bee just being a better film than we've gotten before. But you aren't exactly wrong, since the reputation the Bay movies gave Transformers it would be fully understandable if it failed.

You're right that bad sales don't exclusively mean bad media, just as the opposite is true, it needs to be examined on a case by case basis. In this instance I don't believe it applies because IDW releases quite a bit of crap themselves, it's a problem with the larger comic industry as a whole that isn't exclusive to the big two.

I'm not even touching what you wrote in that spoiler, just.. no. Let alone the fact that even if I'd be willing to agree with any of that, that still doesn't equal a good story. It's almost like people want to read comics for fun escapism, decent stories, great art, entertainment and aren't so self-absorbed with themselves and care so much about identity that they need to see someone that shares a superficial quality with them or else they're incapable of empathizing with the cast.

But nah, literally having a moment where a character (totally against his consent) has his mind messed with so he'll date a subordinate, and then artists and writers at IDW retweet images and art of this 'ship' like it's cute when none of the rape-y and creepy context is applied is really good 'representation', I agree.

It's a real shocker why IDW 1.0 stuttered to a screeching halt, it really is.

• Like Like x 4
  19. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

News Credits:
    Um, what?

20. The Mad Demobot

The Mad Demobot Well-Known Member

Ok so this site is shit for letting me see an ignored users reply so when this popped up I have to bite once.

When I talked about good representation without blatant signaling or corporate cynicism I mosty am referring to Chromedome and Rewind. What happened with Vortex and the Combaticons was insane and bonkers it was no wonder why Bruticus never showed up in future IDW 2005 stories. But it doesn't encapsulate the other good ideas the writers had going on that started it all with MTMTE.

Oh I totally left out that the guy behind it all was a bloody Decepticon who preyed on Vortex's desires(it only got better when he confessed to his double dealings during his election), doesn't make it less wrong, but he was literally trapped within his own mind. So pardon me if people wanted to be happy to actually want to see if anything could happen had Vortex not gone through with the horrible thing.

There I cleared up any possible confusion in the air before everyone goes nuts.

• Like Like x 2