IDW Losing Transformers License

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by shadow panther, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    if comic books were cancelled due to one dodgy issue throughout their entire lifespan, we would have no comic books at all from anyone.

• Like Like x 10
  2. Riddler87

Riddler87 Everything's a puzzle

I'm taking this with a huge grain of but if this turns out to be true I could see the license going to Boom Studios. Apparently, Hasbro really likes working with Boom Studios with Power Rangers comics and they might start working with them on other franchises.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Astrotrain52

Astrotrain52 Former Green Kool-aider

News Credits:
    I would disagree. Yes IDW 2019 was boring, but IMO, not for those reasons.

IDW2019 had great side-stories (especially the Constructicons), but Brian Ruckley's main title led with world-building. Great writers lead with strong characters and how their choices shape their life paths in the larger world around them. An audience is supposed to be viewing the larger world in the character's eyes, not a Season 7 and 8 Game of Thrones-quality snooze-fest.

Boom Studios would be a huge win for them. Personally, I would love to see them go back to Marvel. After all, IDW had been leant the Marvel heroes for a more child-centric line of comics. Transformers returning to their roots would be amazing.

How is IDW doing financially as a company? Last quarterly report I read, things looked like they were on code blue.

• Like Like x 2
  4. lil society vert

lil society vert luv is rage 2/chainsaw man supremacist

huh

5. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    IDW can’t afford to publish a “slow-burn” storyline over a few years as it does lose readers. Comic books are supposed to be entertaining, not dull and tedious affairs being dragged out far longer than they should do.

• Like Like x 17
  6. TheLastBlade

TheLastBlade Well-Known Member

IDW did slow burns a billion times and look where that lead them. And it’s not just comic books, lol!

7. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Zenryoku zenkai!

News Credits:
    It's a good idea in limited use. I liked how Jetfire in RotF was an old man and showed it. If they go that route one or two very old guys having some role that takes advantage of that idea could be cool.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Fafnir72

Fafnir72 Well-Known Member

Idw hasn"t been in the black financially since 2015nish.

• Like Like x 1
  9. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

Oh man I hope so. Cant stand their art style (for the most part)

• Like Like x 6
  10. TargetmasterJoe

TargetmasterJoe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Well, this gave my heart the worst kind of jump. And worse, this comes right after finding out that the ending to Eureka Seven happened because the team nudged towards a happier ending than what the writer wanted.

I mean, I want to think this is just an unfounded rumor and nothing more, but BC has dropped rumors that ended up being true like Tynion leaving DC and Jon Kent being bisexual.

So if, Primus forbids this ends up happening, where will Transformers comics end up at? Marvel? Boom Studios?

11. Dachande

Dachande Janitor. Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    SECOND WARNING:
    Please keep the rule 3 stuff in check, especially since it's now bordering on gatekeeping and rule 13:

No Disruptive Posting or Flamebaiting
    Do not purposely post anything which will cause another member (or members) to react negatively. This is subjective. The TFW2005 staff will evaluate the trend of posts made by those consistently being reported or those that are repeatedly involved with arguments on the site. If their overall method or content of posting leads to staff attention repeatedly, we reserve the right to warn, infract and/or ban accordingly.

• Like Like x 11
  12. Rojixus

Rojixus I AM NOT YOUR ENEMY!

I'm still skeptical, but if it's true, I'll definitely be happy to see the end of Transformers at IDW. The last ten years have been a blight.

Slow-burn? It's more like a no-burn! All the payoffs we've gotten so far have been lukewarm at best, I think it's safe to say at this point that Ruckly is all sizzle and no steak.

• Like Like x 7
  13. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Old):
    Tumblr:
    Gotta put away feelings and attachments and look strictly at the business of things.

Currently, Hasbro has licenses spread between two different publishers: Transformers, G.I. Joe, and My Little Pony with IDW Publishing, and Power Rangers and Magic: The Gathering with BOOM! Studios. Hard to find month-by-month sales these days without having to pay for it, but last check had My Little Pony as the highest ranked Hasbro book with IDW Publishing, but still behind BOOM! Studios Power Rangers. Transformers ranked near the bottom of the Top 200 if they even made the Top 200. During IDW1 MTMTE days, Transformers was a Top 50 book at times. But the reboot killed the book to less than 3,500 total copies sold per month before tracking was nixed.

So in terms of sales, there's nothing keeping Hasbro at IDW Publishing.

Hasbro has also consistently talked about creating a shared universe, wanting to emulate what Marvel and now DC/Warner Bros. is doing with their properties. One of the easiest ways to "try it out" is via comics, and that's impossible to do if your properties are spread out over 2 or more publishers. With Magic: The Gathering *JUST* having moved to BOOM! Studios (and doing very well), and Power Rangers inching towards 100 issues (with no real reboots just numbering reboots), a restart with BOOM! Studios may be the best thing. And in terms of "when is the timing right", that would be now - all the "how the war started" stuff is now complete in both the toy line, the animated shows, and all that's left is the comics - 3 years in and still no war yet. What better way to end the IDW Publishing run than having the finale be the start of the war.

Now, the downside.

BOOM! Studios has a reputation of NOT paying their talent very well. One of the reasons they have so many unknown and breakout artists is because they scour international talent pools and sign artists to company-friendly deals. Then the artist fears they'll be blacklisted if they try to walk away for more money, and you get the idea from there. That's not to say BOOM! Studios is full of bad people - 99% of everyone I've met is standout awesome. But their business practices behind the scenes is their business practices, and it's how they compete against the steamrollers that are Marvel and DC. It also means you likely won't be getting all-star talent to work on Transformers. BOOM! Studios is also incredibly inclusive, so the likelihood of having to deal with angry fanboys because of a writer's politics or "wokeness" may get annoying for the rest of us.

Do I think it's happening?

I do. IDW Publishing seems stagnant and isn't brought up in conversations within the industry between talent. The company seems like it's hanging on by a thread called "The Last Ronin", and are fearful of when that last issue drops in February 2022. The strange "let all the talent go" move in 2018 felt like a massive payroll cut to save face as the company as a whole faced potential bankruptcy. Nothing much has changed, just that they're losing less money today than they were 4 years ago. Taking Transformers and GI Joe off the books in 2022 (as I'm sure those licensing fees are higher now than the last time they re-upped) would likely bring them back in to the black and likely put them in position to make some moves in 2023 (probably re-up TMNT and Star Trek).

It sucks for the Beast Wars book, as I've heard nothing but good things about it from those reading it. Plus Josh has been working on Transformers comics since he was like 5 years old, seeing him finally draw his own book was a definite "smile on my face" moment as well as "oh God I'm so old".

TLDR - it makes total sense if true, and I would wager it is true.

• Like Like x 22
  14. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    Who's idea was the reboot, anyway? Can't imagine Hasbro would just go along with it but also can't imagine them being too firm about what a reboot would have to be.

Possible it isn't even IDW's fault.

• Like Like x 1
  15. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Isn’t Manga doing well these days?
    Any Manga titles with a TF license?

16. TargetmasterJoe

TargetmasterJoe Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I want it on the record that I am not consciously causing trouble. If I am doing so unconsciously, please tell me so I can be more careful.

I mean, for me, Transformers leaving IDW would be like if Spider-Man left Marvel. I'm just so accustomed to having TF be associated with IDW at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Chromecannon

Chromecannon Well-Known Member

This saddens ne to hear, but not too much. The first IDW universe is one of the most influential takes on the franchise, and for all its faults, I feel like it incapsulates a lot of the great storytelling that can be achieved with the franchise while maintaining its sense of fun and not turning into "trying way too hard to be mature" like some series do.

However... the recent years have not been good. The only things I've really liked are the Beast Wars series and some short stories here and there. The core series has gone beyond slow burn to no burn, obsessed with worldbuilding while forgetting to make an interesting world or engaging characters. King Grimlock is a nothing comic that is just sort of there. Shattered Glass is a fun novelty, but one I got over after the first issue.

I care about the creators rather than the publisher. I don't think there's anyone who is strictly IDW exclusive, so if the license moves to Boom (which I think is the most likely, given they have a few Hasbro licenses already), then that's fine. But who's going to be actually writing, drawing, inking and colouring the things? At the end of the day, what I care about is the people behind the comics, not the logos attached.

18. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    Not like anything is stopping those complaints now.

I just like Boom because they've got an interesting mix of vintage and "new" with PR and I would love to see them bring that to TF.

19. ScientistMan

ScientistMan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I love dumb non stop action! That's why the Cliffjumper issues were my favorites!

20. Thundershot

Thundershot Ratchet Fanatic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To be honest, the really slow build on IDW2 turned me away. It was boring. I peek in every now and then, but nothing exciting happens. Even BW, which I was excited about, has become more of a skim because they tend to focus on the two OCs. Now… having said that, the new Wreckers book is exactly what I’ve been wanting. If this had been the ongoing, I’d have been all in. The use of lesser used characters as well as only one OC and a much more exciting story drew me in with the first issue and held me. I don’t read Transformers for political intrigue.

• Like Like x 5