IDW Losing Transformers License

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by omegafix, Nov 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CelticMutt

CelticMutt Baka Mitai

So, like the Hundred Years War, that was really multiple shorter wars and skirmishes between the same parties over the course of 116 years? Yeah, I like that idea.

• Like Like x 11
  2. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Destron Enforcer

News Credits:
    Not surprising, I'm more curious about who'd be next in line since it's not like there's exactly a better alternative out there at the moment.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Suboptimal Optimus

Suboptimal Optimus Burn it all down

Normally I wouldn't be a dick about it but IDW1 became such a mess and IDW2 was so goddamn boring that I need to get it out of my system, in spite of admitting not everything about IDW was utter garbage.

BAHAHAHAAHAH GOOD FUCKING RIDDANCE IF TRUE!
    Of course I'm sure what we get next will be way worse.

• Like Like x 15
  4. setientshoebox

setientshoebox Banned

if this is fake, then we have nothing to worry about.
    but if this is real...
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  5. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    Why would you brag about your unwillingness to actually participate when simply not posting would not only be as effective but less embarrassing to boot?

• Like Like x 10
  6. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    Yeah I don't know what comes next. Probably nothing good. IDW 1.0 Transformers rarely felt like a toy commercial. Just great stories. Now I don't know.

Its getting harder and harder to be a story driven Transformers fan. The Bumblebee movie was a high following what looks to be a low of ROTB. Netflix WFC. And now IDW. Sigh.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Tfcollector97

Tfcollector97 tfsomegaguy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    Yeah i had fond memories with idw 1 and i want beast wars to continue but moving on since it ended like this I hope the writers we give our license to brings something new to the table I don’t want another reboot with the same plot as the others i want new characters and a new plot.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 2fabdad

2fabdad Well-Known Member

Interesting... :popcorn 

• Like Like x 3
  9. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    It depends on who picks it up and how much room they're given.

Especially since we don't know *why* Hasbro would be cutting ties with IDW in the first place.

If it goes to Boom, they're already doing with PR what IDW has been. Vintage characters with ties to the original lore but new details/characters mixed in to pull it away from being a 1:1 retelling.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Suboptimal Optimus

Beast Wars reboot was doing okay, aside from me disliking the art style. I'm sure the GEEWUN crowd will start to blame Beast Wars for 'ruining IDW' or something.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Okay, a good bit of nonsense needed cleaned.
    Please keep any and all politics out of the discussion. This isn't the place for it.

Rule 3 reminder:
    No Politics, Religion or Abortion
    This includes signatures, user titles and avatars. Political jokes and links to news stories with a political nature are off limits. Logos, icons, symbols, and any other type of visual representation that can spur socio-political arguments are off limits.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Rob

Rob Prowl Fan

News Credits:
    So long as creators have the freedom to create deep stories, I'll be happy.

13. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    I've defended IDW as much as anyone, but I'd be fine with this. I hope, if someone else gets the license, that it goes to actual fans of the property. I've come to think that's the only way to get good stuff happening.

I'm not really sure who'd be a good fit. I feel like a Dark Horse or Boom would be a fairly lateral move.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think that's more of a case of writers not going far enough in the alienness (and also the constraints of a franchise, that is based on a kids action figure series of course). For immortal alien machines in a millions-year-long war, those things would have gone out the window within, at most, couple of decades of endless slaughter. Consider the United Kingdom in 1945. They spent six years of World War II, up to that point, fighting for their survival. And by 1945 they were decisively winning as part of the Allies (but not yet won and indeed had a hard fight ahead of it in the Pacific). And what did the electorate do? They tossed out Churchill and replaced him with Clement Attlee as their focus shifted to building up the welfare state and rebuilding the British Economy.

Point is, human beings couldn't even be so monolithically focused on the importance of finishing the conflict for 6 years in a life or death struggle. So if Transformers are doing this for 4 million years - the same kind of great war life and deaths struggle - the motivations that would compelled them to revert to a "normal mode of living" would have had to be expunged in order to sustain a war that like. Over 4 million years, by rights everyone should have been on every side. Everyone should have befriended, betrayed, then befriended everyone else. Everyone should have been damaged, healed, damaged against in countless ways to the point it doesn't matter anymore. Maybe Optimus Prime lost faith in the cause and became a hermit for 75,000 years. Who cares! That's 1.8% of the war. A 4 million year war written properly would emphasize how everything that could happen in it did happen.

IDW1 touched on this brilliantly at the start. The War wrecked the planet and then moved into space, where Autobots and Decepticons were in a long stand off where there weren't major military engagements for hundreds, or even thousands of years. The status quos were held together by the fact that, over huge spans of time, nothing happened at all.

It reminds me of Q in Star Trek Voyager when he takes Janeway to the Q Continuum. "Over billions of years, everyone's been the dog." Everything that's been thought of has been said. There's been nothing "new" in memory.

• Like Like x 6
  15. Suboptimal Optimus

Honestly I think that, for all my dislike of IDW1 that I got the sense IDW2 was one they were doing 'for the bills' and keeping the license and that after finishing IDW1 in 2018 nobody on board had any solid ideas where to take Transformers comics.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Tfcollector97

Tfcollector97 tfsomegaguy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Pinterest:
    The fact that they are losing their other licenses strengthens the fact that they are “losing it”.

• Like Like x 9
  17. Nightshade2000

Nightshade2000 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I don't know what to think of this. I loved IDW1 but IDW2 hasn't really drawn me in (loved the Constructicon limited series though) so I haven't read it in forever. So I kind of don't feel bad, but for those who like it, I hope they are able to end the story even if it's rushed rather than dropped in the middle like DW.

But not all IDW is boring. I love Larry Hama's GI Joe ARAH. I have been collecting the IDW1 trades (god I forgot what a mess the start of Phase 3 - "Revolution" - was) and I'd hate for them to not be able to finish the hardbound collections of TF IDW1...

Of course, they never finished the Marvel GI Joe hardcovers (Grr) and they never finished Marvel TF UK Classic TPB either (DOUBLE GRRRR).

Sigh.

• Like Like x 7
  18. Strife

Strife Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Naw, Beast Wars has been a bright spot.
    The ongoing is the problem. It's very bad.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Rakzo

Rakzo Peruvian Transformers Fan

News Credits:
    I guess Hasbro would want to have all of their properties under a single publisher for the sake consistency and possible future crossovers.

So Boom might be the most logical choice.

20. Jochimus

Jochimus Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!

I can't see either Marvel or DC being interested at this point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.