IDW just offered to let you write your own series... what do you write?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Mr. Chaos, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    I would write a procedural police drama! The war is over and a tentative peace has been restored, but now the people need a force that to protect them from mundane threats like burglary, vandalism, neighborly disputes and murder.

Prowl seeks out Nightbeat to join his new police force. He accepts with only a hint of trepidation because of his past history with the force(slowly revealed over the past of the miniseries, it involves corruption cos doesn't it always) his first case is tracking down a serial killer who slowly drains his victims of their energron for his own personal use. He keeps his victims at a constant level of fear because it 'improves the flavor'.

If worrying about a deadly serial killer isn't bad enough, Nightbeat is shocked to discover that his old flame Quark, once thought to have been killed in the war, is working in the mechaforensics department! SHOCKHORRORAWKWARDROMANTICTENSIONANDOTHERSTUFF. During his investigation Nightbeat will encounter all your fan favorites like... that guy! And whathisface, the one with the cheveron... He'll meet people I can't think of at the moment!

My original character would be his rookie partner Brass. A female bot sent from Caminus as part of a cultural exchange to learn more about Cybertronian policing and improve Cybertron/Caminus releations. Caminus is relatively peaceful so the poor dear is not prepared in the slightest for the level of violence she encounters, as well as understanding the social politics following the war.

2. Dys

Dys Bitter yellow dog.

News Credits:
    A small group of Autobots led by Fortress Maximus arrive on planet Z, charged with the task of bringing the fugitive Scorponok and his small band of Decepticon insurgents to justice, only to find themselves in the middle of someone else's conflict, a war between titans that dwarf even the largest of them... Zoids.

Ever since I was little I've wanted a Zoids/Transformers crossover, and discovering the Legends class Autobot cars from a few years ago were to scale with Zoids made me want it all the more. It would be interesting to see how Transformers react to finding themselves in the Human role in a conflict, outgunned and dwarfed by a potential threat.

3. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    The further adventures of Impactor and Guzzle of course, and they'd cross paths with the Scavengers, leading to a tense stand off that gets broken when Grimlock starts hugging everyone.

4. Dragonzzilla

Dragonzzilla Well-Known Member

That escalated quickly.

5. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Wow, everything set in the IDW Verse so far, pre-established continuity. With possible exception to re-hash SG Timelines in IDW form. No imagination, for shame.

Three ideas that immediately pop into mind.

Transformers 30th Anniversary, Shattered Boundaries:
    With Optimus Prime now in possession of the AllSpark Matrix and Megatron imprisoned on Cybertron the war appears to be over.

Desperate to free their commander and central forces Team Charr arrives on Earth seeking information from Issac Sumdac. What follows is a twelve issue epic Animated funfest leading into the next brilliant idea...

Transformers 30th Anniversary, Peace Through Tyranny:
    Enslaved by Unicron until Optimus sacrificed himself to seal the dark god away Megatron now wanders the galaxy spreading his message of peace and understanding.

Until he encounters a mysterious sect of Unicron worshipping Cybertronians, a scurvy band of pirates led by a dangerous one-legged beast former and is forced to join forces with the unlikeliest of warriors to prevent the return of Unicron.

And again we lead into the next exciting idea, the last of the trilogy...

Transformers 30th Anniversary, Title Undecided:

Optimus Prime has led his Autobots to victory at last, the Decepticons have vanished in deepest space and Cybertron has once again achieved it's golden age. Events are racing towards a sudden catastrophic change as the energy of the Plasma Energy Chamber begins to cause world shaking aftershocks.

Is Cybertron doomed? Will the planet explode as the energies unleashed build up tremendous stores of pure destructive force? A vision from the Matrix and Alpha Trion lead Prime to form a desperate gamble, in order to save Cybertron and prevent all of the efforts his men went through from going to waste, Optimus must venture deep inside the still orbiting head of Unicron and propose a radical solution.

The stage is set to syphon off excess energy into the dormant head of Unicron, a dangerous and potentially lethal gambit that could lead to the resurrection of Cybertron's greatest foe. A plan so desperate that it shatters the walls between realities as three generations of the Transformers must band together and ensure that peace remains after centuries of long war.

And waiting in the wings, the return of old foes thought long forgotten as the thrilling 30 comes to a worlds shattering conclusion with epic team ups, epic battles and all around epic, epicness.

Well that would be my idea, if you couldn't tell it's a series spanning the entire gamut of Transformers lore, probably with cameos from other realities not mentioned. Successfully (hopefully) tying up loose ends from Sunbow G1, Animated and Prime to a lesser extent. It'd probably take three twelve issue runs to tell, with perhaps one or two spotlights for the sake of keeping things smooth and uncluttered, but I'd like to believe it'd be well received by all.

Opinions welcome, also I'd love to coin a clever title for the G1 arc surrounding everyone's least favorite intitals. (GPS) But I was running a blank on anything clever that wouldn't sound so corny.

6. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Did you not see the part of the brief where it states that your story must fit into the existing IDW universe?

7. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

I don't really care about the older continuities. They're well and truly over, finished.

8. Scrapper6

My bad, just skimmed it.

But that's the entire point. Why not revisit some of the older ended continuities in comic form. That's part of the fun of the comics media, you can tell any type of story you want.

9. The Swordsman

The Swordsman The REAL hero of Hyrule

News Credits:
    I'd pretty much troll the fans and run the entire IDW continuity into the ground. I'd bring back the movie-inspired aesthetic, make Skids green, give him a gold tooth and introduce his twin brother Mudflap, set everything on Earth and make the human characters just as if not more prominent than the Transformers. :ev: 

10. WoundSave

WoundSave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    impactor and guzzle's adventures in space!!!!!

edit
    didn't see kraken had already mentioned this.

11. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

A closed story is a closed story for me. A classic on its own. I don't really like retcons, unless they are really needed to fix things poorly written.
    For this very reason I've avoided Regen One, since for me Marvel ended on G2 (and maybe continued into BW).
    *shrug*

I'd rather contribute to something breathing and evolving.

12. Scrapper6

A retcon is not what I'm talking about though. Revisiting a classic universe to see what's happening after the final episode is not retconning, retconning is more like Regen One where G2 was wiped out of the main Marvel U.S. story. (And Marvel U.K was also erased from being 'in-continuity')

Telling new stories in classic universes we all know and love without erasing any of the previous continuity that exists is just plain fun in my books, fanfic authors do it all the time.

I can see where you'd rather contribute to something still on-going, but IDW continuity is such a beast of a thing that constantly adds to it makes it harder to get a feel for the characters in a writing situation. With a series that's ended there's nothing new to keep track of, so you don't have to deal with keeping everything in-check as it were with other writers also handling the same characters and stuff.

13. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

But I'm no longer invested in closed series enough to add anything to them.

The one exception for me is G2. I'd really had this one continued to see what was between G2 and Beast wars, instead of Regen One. Or, maybe, someone continuing Dreamwave G1. I think this could work.

Good thing about TF multiverse and all universal streams is that every TF show can be "canon" and co-exist with others.

14. Purple Heart

Purple Heart Some other time..

News Credits:
    Transformers: The Dying Dawn.

Sunrunner has a ship of his own finally. He, GoldBug, WFC BARRICADE?!??!(It would be explained.) And a human girl are travelling to a planet to check out an Energy signiture.
    Only it leads them to... A Space Station above an mining planet!
    And the DJD Is after them!!! ON NO!

Yeah, I actually wrote it out once..

15. Necromaster

Necromaster FEAR ME MORTALS

News Credits:
    Strika shows up. Strika is a giant metal Bane. Strika kicks ass.

That's all you need to know.

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    So she's a big girl.

I'd probably make Prime/Beast Hunters redone.

17. Underwear

Underwear Banned

News Credits:
    Would love to see a series about protoforms dancing butt naked on the streets of iacon.

18. El Zilcho

El Zilcho Well-Known Member

Transformers: Emissaries

- Proposed characters - Countdown, Blast Off, Cloudraker, Needlenose, Lightspeed (back to life somehow), Slamdance, Verity Carlo, others

With the rebuilding of the planet continuing apace, Starscream turns his attention to re-establishing Cybertron's place within the intergalatic community. Starscream thus sends a carefully selected team of ambassadors to open diplomatic and trade relations with other inhabited planets. Follow this small team, led by Countdown and accompanied by Galactic Council observer Verity Carlo, as they expand Cybertron's knowledge of a universe beyond the Autobot/Decepticon war.

- Explore the non-TF planets of the IDW Transformers universe!
    - Meet alien races of every shape and size; some familiar (Nebulons), some with new twists (Torkuli) and some all-new worlds!
    - Find out how Verity Carlo became a Galactic Council observer!
    - Discover the hidden agenda of the Galactic Council!
    - Learn the terrifying reason that Starscream wanted Countdown off-planet...and how it could lead the entire galaxy to finally strike against Cybertron!

*I realize that MTMTE is already a star-faring series, but Emissaries would differ by:
    (a) Having a much smaller regular cast; 10 - 12 character max
    (b) MTMTE is still focused largely on things associated with the TFs (Circle of Light, Tyrest, DJD, etc) and there isn't much interaction with other races. Emissaries would focus on other alien races, how their societies work and how they view and interact with the TFs, using the TF cast as the viewpoint characters.

19. ZacWilliam

ZacWilliam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "The Monsterbot Mysteries"

The Monsterbots live on Cybertron and solve crimes.

-ZacWilliam, Doubledealer is their charming and roguish but just a bit crooked leader, Grotusque has the Sherlocky brains of the group but is a bit too good hearted and naive for his own good, and Repugnus is the face breaker and tough guy, together there is no space crime they can't space solve! :) 

20. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I will still have a group looking for lost cities of Cybertron and leave New Iacon and meet new denizens that not exactly what they expected and new dangers.