IDW issues to Skip?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by GingerSynapse, Nov 5, 2014.

1. GingerSynapse

GingerSynapse Well-Known Member

Soliciting opinions here,

Both my beau and close friend have gotten hooked on MTMTE at my urging. So now, obviously a little confused at WTF is going on, hey both want to bring themselves up to speed by reading the all the past IDW stories.

Considering the sheer volume, what are your opinions on the the Must Read/Don't Bother that would bring them up to speed into Death of Optimus Prime and the RID/MTMTE split? I've got my own list but would be really grateful for anyone throwing out their thoughts on what to skip. Like that Avengers trainwreck. And AHM with a thousand caveats if they do.

Also I know there was a thread about this but I can't seem to find it, so if anyone can link to that, that will do as well.

Thanks!

-Ginger

2. D0wnburst

D0wnburst Active Member

Just a guess but the main series of tions from escalation to devastation, then all hail megatron. Not read much of the transformers series or many spotlights so can't comment on those.

3. Coffee

Coffee (╭☞ꗞᨓꗞ)╭☞

News Credits:
    All they really need to read is Last Stand of the Wreckers and Chaos Theory to be caught up.

4. revlimiter

revlimiter Bot Hacker

News Credits:
    ^ That. Can't remember the specific numbers on Chaos Theory.

5. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Taking a break

Honestly, I don't consider anything outside of LSOTW to be worth reading. Maybe tell them to read issues 22 and 23 of the first ongoing, since that was also written by Roberts and is the start of his flashback trilogy. Other than that, just give your friends this list of 10 things they need to know.

1. The Decepticons almost won the war but then lost.
    2. Megatron was thought dead but wasn't then got captured but escaped.
    3. Autobots aren't on Earth because Humanity hates Transformers.
    4. Neutral Cybertronians hate both 'Bots and 'Cons.
    5. MetalHawk was gonna be voted ruler of Cybertron but was secretly killed by Starscream.
    6. Starscream then got voted as ruler of Cybertron.
    7. The Autobots on Cybertron were exiled by Starscream.
    8. Autobots voted Bumblebee to lead them.
    9. Optimus left Cybertron and went back to calling himself Orion Pax.
    10. Shockwave has a plan involving a cityformer and has Orion trapped on a world about to be destroyed.

Edit: Forgot about the dead Universe. Make it 13 things they need to know.

11. Galvatron isn't Megatron.
    12. Two million years before the 'Bots and 'Cons, Nova Prime led a group, including Galvatron, Cyclonus and Straxus, on a mission, in the Ark I, to conquer the universe but got trapped in the dead Universe.
    13. Galvatron almost destroyed our Universe but was defeated with the help of Cyclonus.

6. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    The only issue that should be skipped is the Mirage Spotlight.

7. Mort

Mort Apostate

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Depends how much time/money they want to invest.

I'd say they need Megatron Origin along Chaos Theory and LSOTW as a minimum.

Personally I'd also recommend the -Ations, AHM (with only some of Coda) and maybe the Ironhide mini.

8. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    Must reads are LSOTW and Chaos Theory. Most other major plot points are at least overviewed. But I will say these days IDW is so referential, I would recommend going back in small doses and reviewing all of them. E.g. the dinobots in RID will have some holes if you haven't read SPL: Shockwave and Max. Dinobots. Or Prowl missing the key bases if you haven't read AHM: CODA. So yeah, get them the HArdback of Wreckers and the trade for Chaos Theory. Then over the next few months/year or two, present them with a few issues. Comixology is your best bet there Saves you money and if there's anything they like, they can buy the physical trades. Will say, they are MASSIVELY missing out if they dont read Spotlight Kup and Megatron.

Oh, if you have any issues on comixology, you can download legal pdfs you can share, if that might save you a few pennies

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Skip the Costa Ongoing. Yeah some plot elements are still impacting the current comics but it's pretty bad.

10. Reask

Reask Predacon

You can skip the 4 issue Bumblebee series, it was dreadful.

I really loved the comics Furman wrote during the beginning of the series, but I wasn't too keen on Maximum Dinobots, was very confusing to read. I recommend it for closure but still could've been better.

Megatron Origin is pretty bland, and also has confusing action scenes.

All Hail Megatron, meh, skip em.

There are a lot of great spotlight issues out there. Skip Cliffjumper and Blurr though.

That Avengers crossover, I will never read it, and you shouldn't either. When The Death of Optimus Prime was called issue 125, that was NOT including the Avengers crossover.

Unfortunately I cannot skip any of the canon IDW comics. I'm an archivist of Transformer lore, I have to read every bit of it!

11. DogFriedRice

DogFriedRice Well-Known Member

In order of what I would skip:

Spotlight Thundercracker
    Spotlight Cliffjumper
    Avengers crossover
    Spotlight Ramjet
    Spotlight Mirage
    Bumblebee
    Heart of Darkness
    Infestation
    Spotlight Megatron

Everything else I like.

Not sure why people suggest skip AHM as I enjoyed it. However, read the Autobot parts and skim read the Decepticon bits.

12. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

Skip
    the previous Transformers ongoing (before Roberts started to co write), Spotlight Mirage, I heat Heart of Darkness is iffy

Buy
    Megatron Origin , Infiltration/Escalation/ Devastation/ Stormbringer/Revelation/Maximum Dinobots (Furman's main plot thread), Chaos Theory, Chaos, More Than Meets the Eye, Robots in Disguise, Drift (really, stop snickering, we get Drift's backstory) All Hail Megatron

13. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    I think SPL Megs is key reading, given recent focus on him.

14. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Yep.

Everything else is explained whenever nessecary in the story if it's important to the plot and from an older story. There's not a huge need to have to slog through the entire series to start appreciating MTMTE and RID.

If also recommend "Everything in it's place" from the AHM Coda by Nick Roche. Not super important, but I think it really helps you understand Prowl, who is a major player in both stories.