IDW Investors Request To Sell The Company

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by SilverOptimus, Mar 5, 2019.

1. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
  2. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So would Hasbro buy IDW?

• Like Like x 1
  3. User_124141

User_124141 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hope Hasbro buys this or not any company at all so the comics wouldnt be the next advertisement for toys, but actual stories

4. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wonder if it would be bought and kept as an imprint of Marvel or DC? I haven't been following closely, but the comics industry is still trending down like it has for the past 20 years right? I don't know who else would want comic book rights. It's a shame, but things have been so samey that I've kind of fell off all my old books. With Saga on hiatus I'm just reading some random image stuff here and there.

I would be down for superhero books if they told longform stories without reseting things. For a while I thought X-men would go that path, just introduce new classes of mutants every decade, but they never age out their old characters (I get that it's a branding thing) so the stories aren't significant to me anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Unlikely. They seem to want to sell it to specific people. The idea being to have more money invested into the company. So they can afford to do more with the licenses they have. Remember IDW isn't just a publisher. They do lots of different things. As far as I know IDW Publishing is the main successful part of the company. I can't imagine this will have a huge effect on them.

6. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    A group repping less than a 10th of the current stock holders wants them to sell the company because even though they're making money, it's not *enough* money?

That's usually how the bad times begin.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Maximus Danz

Maximus Danz Trying to achieve something

News Credits:
    I don't know who would buy IDW comics, The comic industry is on life support.

• Like Like x 3
  8. misfire19d

misfire19d Not a writer. Not an illustrator. Just a fan.

I just saw 10 dump trucks full of money, driven by men wearing Mickey ears, headed towards IDW headquarters.

• Like Like x 3
  9. yakko

yakko IaconHub BossMonkey

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    You would think they would know that Chris Ryall isn’t Editor-In-Chief. He’s President, Publisher, and Chief Creative Officer. John Barber is the new Editor-In-Chief. I am surprised that this letter didn’t get even a basic level of proofing before going out.

That being said, I think the publishing arm of IDW is has got the best management that it’s had in years with Ryall back and Barber as EIC. The other arms of IDW, particularly the TV division, are losing much more money than the comic side. However, and I made a passing joke about this on the TransMissions Alt Mode podcast that comes out this Friday, I wouldn’t be surprised for Disney to purchase IDW at some point. Marvel and Disney both work with IDW to handle kid-friendly titles. With that relationship, I wouldn’t be surprised to have Disney just pull them in and use IDW for all their kid-friendly stuff.

Where that leaves the licensed properties is anyone’s guess. I would think that Marvel would welcome the properties like the Hasbro titles, Ghostbusters, TMNT, etc. But would the license holders?

• Like Like x 1
  10. UltraPrimal

UltraPrimal YouTuber (she/they)‍️‍

News Credits:
    Disney will own everything eventually. Might as well get it over now.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Michael Payton

Michael Payton Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There are a few investors looking at a publisher like IDW. Some looking for an easy entrance into American comics, others just looking at a potential IP farm, even if a Z-tier one at best.

No. Licensing their IPs to a 3rd party guarantees annual licensing revenue, without the risk or hassle of ownership. Hasbro would be better off licensing their IPs to the comic divisions of Random House or Scholastic, which have a direct line to little kids that the LCS doesn't have and can't seem to create.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Michael Payton

Michael Payton Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They only want the IPs tho. That's why they shut down their own video game company. Staff and office space can be someone else's problem.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

My very first thought is these investors are seeing dollar signs and hoping and PRAYING that there's some IP in the stack that Marvel/Disney wants. I don't know that there is, but that seems to be the dream cloud this foundation is built on.
    And also this. Things could get very dicey for IDW if this actually starts happening. They'll get bought by a group that will dismantle them into "stuff worth selling to someone with big bucks" and "stuff we can kill and repeatedly rape the corpse." There won't be a positive outcome if this starts to actually happen. Investors looking to make more money rarely let positive decisions towards the future get in the way of instant quick-cash. None of this seems like a good thing.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Predaking EX

Predaking EX I am Power.

Ebay:
    About to spend a 100 on there TF sale on comixology, All of Marvel G1 and all 5 volumes of UK collection, plus all of regen one and IDW the collection phase one vol one is a steal

15. YoungPrime

YoungPrime Herald Of Primus

News Credits:
    You sure?

There's currently a rumor that Disney may be canceling Marvel comics. I don't read comics like I use to anymore anyway. And Barber's take on Unicron didn't help things.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

Canceling altogether, or just stop printing paper versions?

I understand there's a fairly steady viewership for the online subscriptions. Though steady and steady enough to impress the mouse may be very different things.

17. yakko

yakko IaconHub BossMonkey

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I really doubt that happens. Marvel has about 40% of the comic industry and it generates a ton of IP for Disney that they're able to use elsewhere.

18. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Welp, I haven’t been one of the ones predicting the death of IDW to this point, but now I’m leaning that way. Investors are leeches.

If the license moves anywhere, I figure it’ll go to Boom Studios, given they’re already doing Power Rangers.

19. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    I sure hope this doesn’t affect the comics too badly, I just started expanding my boundaries(such as TMNT)!

• Like Like x 2
  20. Boatformer

Boatformer #HaulOfFame

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    To paraphrase Jim Sterling: Investors don't want to make money. They want to make all the money. Why would they want healthy growth and reasonable dividends when they can drive the company into the ground making as much money for themselves as possible?

• Like Like x 10