Minor/Repaint: IDW inspired Soundwave

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Malunis_T, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Malunis_T

Malunis_T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So this is a bit of an old thing I worked on a while back, then recently did more work on. I've only read up to Dark Cybertron in IDW's ongoing series, but there I noticed Soundwave's design was heavily based on the War For Cybertron design.

I had the WFC Deluxe, and it didn't seem like (still doesn't seem like) I'm getting a Deluxe Soundwave anytime soon, so I figured repurposing it would give me some kind of general "G1" Soundwave for my collection.

[​IMG]

The majority of work I did on this was applying some panel lining to a lot of the details to give them a dirty look, just for fun - it makes the grey look less boring. There's also Gundam markers used to apply silver mainly to add to the vehicle mode, some gold on the shines to make them look less bland, and a bit of red to the forearms in reference to his G1 color placement. Also some silver to the sides of the head which really help give him character.

The most notable change though is the grill, or whatever you wanna call those 3 spikes on the torso. The War For Cybertron design has them turned up, albeit resting lower on the body, and the IDW design does something similar, so... I had to figure out how to do that. Since it's on a pin, my solution was to saw of some plastic around the pin enough that I could remove and reattach it. It's hard to explain and not easy to photograph. Regardless, it results in a thinner waist and a more interesting silhouette.

[​IMG]

The vehicle mode, like I said, is where most of the silver got applied. You can compare to the original toy to see where I added it. The main reason I started doing it was the forearms, since they use grey plastic alongside silver paint, which breaks up the design.

Another major addition to this is a peghole I made on the top of the vehicle, because the IDW design places his shoulder gun in that particular spot. The part that I added this hole to is the little flap of plastic that becomes Soundwave's heel, so the hole placement has no affect on the robot mode.

Even if I'd like a more modern representation of Soundwave that was in this size class and not tied to any current show, it was a fun thing to put together as a substitute.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    Nice work bringing out the details on that figure!

• Like Like x 1