IDW GI Joe (2016)

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Stealthyboy, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Stealthyboy

Stealthyboy New Member

Has anyone else read the first issue yet? What did you think? I've never read GI Joe comics prior to the Revolution event, so I'm coming in with maybe a different perspective than some. So far I think the writing shows promise, but I have my misgivings about the art. At times it looks kinda amateur, and oddly anime, which I can't say I was expecting for my preconceptions of GI Joe. There are some characters who always look great (Rock'n'roll) and others that almost always tend to suffer from bad anime faces (Scarlett). I'm hoping these issues are just teething troubles with new characters and that the artist will improve, and I'll stick with it for now at least.

2. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The art could have been better, but I really like the shared world their setting up.

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Welcome to IDW-licensed comics.

Looking at it now, this is far from the worst we've had on GI Joe books at IDW, but I agree it's not the greatest, either. I'm more worried about the story. After the way IDW crashed their continuity completely into the side of the mountain, I'm hesitant to give them another shot... especially with an unknown writer. I think I'll just keep sticking with only reading Hama's Real American Hero series unless I read great reviews of this later.

4. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A little more generous on the art than I bc I thought it was terrible. I'm unfamiliar with Milonogiannis, but not sure if he's trying jam in some anime flair but that doesn't work for me. Especially for this G.I. Joe.

But I agree on the setup. That'll hold me....for now.

5. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
  6. Megastar

News Credits:
    Not that surprising, there are probably a few Joes who share names with Transformers.

7. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Even more now, after Hasbro loses name copyrights (like Fireflight becoming Firefly).

8. Megastar

News Credits:
    That's better than being called Firestrike.

9. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I'll give this new run a chance by reading the first tpb when it hits. But I've been burned too badly by the rest of the IDW GI Joe continuity debacle up until now to trust them enough to buy single issues ever again.

But really, all I need IDW to do is let Hama keep continuing his RAH series. That's the real GI Joe comic.

11. Megastar

News Credits:
  12. Rodimal Magnus

Rodimal Magnus A Touch of Destiny

Flamestrike would be good though IMO.

13. Star Saber

Star Saber Cybertron 5th Commander

News Credits:
    Crown Jewel of the Hasbro Universe? Lol Maybe during the 80s and 90s but TF has long overtaken them

• Like Like x 1
  14. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

I read the first issue, and I thought it was abysmal. The writing was terrible, the art was poor (and that's being kind), and the whole shared universe is a concept that works for Marvel and DC but does not fit with hasbro's disparate properties. Skywarp on the Joe team? It removes all pretense of military realism and shoves it so far up science fiction's ass that I don't recognize it.

Joe has always had a sci-fi element, and I have no problem with a laser trooper, a weather control machine, or whatever mcguffin-of-the-week. But when you add in giant alien robots, it becomes a cosmos-spanning conflict rather than a half-way realistic attempt to protect god & country from a used-car-salesman terrorist. It ratchet's up the conflict so much that Joes basically have no place in it. Hasbro thinks it's a cool synergy to integrate all their properties. To me, it just makes them less special and unique.

The only Joe comics I haven't bought since 1982 were the recently completed Joe vs Transformer series (ugh, what a nightmare), and now this new one. I have to vote with my dollars, b/c this shared universe nonsense isn't working for me. Add in a fledgling writer and really bad stylized manga art, and I couldn't be less interested. Congratulations IDW, you made me actually not care about Joe comics.

• Like Like x 2
  15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I've been saying this non-stop, but the TF-only fans and the one ROM superfan don't get it. They don't get how damaging this is to GI Joe as a franchise.

I keep hearing, "How is it different than NEST or EDC or whatever?" And I keep trying to tell them that those organizations are all SUPPORTING characters to TF. That, yeah, from a TF fan's perspective, it's not a huge difference to have Joes playing a backup role to Autobots rather than generic army guys or EDC/Skywatch. But going the other direction, it's completely emasculating to GI Joe.

Exactly this.

Here, I have to disagree with you. If you give this a shot, I think you might find it a lot more entertaining than you expect based on looking at its art. It takes ALL elements of Joe and mixes them about equally -- the Hama series, the cartoon, the TOYS -- and even squeezes in things like the 1990s Konami GI Joe arcade game.

[​IMG]

16. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

Oh, I tried to read the recent Joe vs TF series. It was a major slog. It was unnecessarily wordy, the art looked like my 8-year-old drew it, and the story was.... "trippy" is the only word I can come up with. It was like some kind of fever-dream, but very little made any sense at all. There was nothing redeeming about it. Personally, I was embarrassed for IDW that they published it. All I can figure is that they lost a bet. ;) 

Just my .02. Clearly YMMV.

17. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    All I can say is that it gets better and more interesting as it goes on.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Nemesis Scar

Nemesis Scar Behind Blue Eyes

Tumblr:
    It was trying to imitate the style of Kirby.

19. nacho

nacho Well-Known Member

Yeah, I read some articles with the creator talking about his influences, how it was a love-letter to both properties, the style he was going for, etc etc. I know it wasn't a hack-job by a talentless creator. But I found his style of writing and art so... assaultingly awkward, that I found myself hating each page more than the one before. It looks like the kind of comic someone might make if they were actively trying to make fun of Joe and TF. I fully understand that wasn't the case, but even understanding the mindset of the creator, I couldn't make myself not be revolted by it.

Usually if I don't like a comic, I'm indifferent to it as an ongoing concern, whatever. Maybe it says something that I had such a visceral reaction to it, but in this instance, I actually dislike that it exists. Maybe I wasn't the target audience, and that's fine (I can't imagine that's true, given my love of both properties, but who knows). Maybe there was a subset of fans that really liked it (not too many based on the sales figures). But for me, it was absolutely the worst comic I've read in a very long time.

Again, if you guys like it, I'm happy the creator's effort wasn't completely wasted.

All that being said, the new Joe series is only slightly less horrible IMO, and I won't be buying future issues while IDW/Hasbro is going down this "shared universe" rabbit hole. At least we still have the ARAH comic. While not nearly as engaging as it was 30 years ago, it's consistently good and scratches my Joe comic itch.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Megastar

News Credits:
    Ugh, this is way we can't have nice things.