IDW gets Yo-kai Watch Comic Rights!

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Gaastra, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Why do they feel the need to make a new comic, when Yokai Watch comics already exist? It's like Judge Dredd all over again. I really do not understand IDW sometimes. "Instead of presenting the original comic with the story everyone wants, we'll create some underwhelming, watered-down American version!"

• Like Like x 1
  3. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    Really? The Pokémon knockoff? Really?!

4. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    97% of American comics are already knockoffs of something else anyway. That's not the real problem.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Lord High Governor

News Credits:
    Awesome. :D 

6. TCJJ

TCJJ 125% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    I'm happy that Yo-kai Watch is getting more attention, but I'm not sure if this will really help it. Hasbro, Nintendo etc. need to do more to push Yo-kai Watch in the west (including not just pandering to the USA, which is clearly hurting them because they're not keeping it up-to-date on a global scale). I love the franchise, but its attachment rate in the west is low, and is continuously slowing.

I agree with this. They look nice enough, but it baffles me. The manga already exists in Japan and has been getting localised in the west. I'm not upset that these exist, but I'm kinda sick of IDW just churning out anything and everything at this point.

Have you played Yo-kai Watch? Have you read Yo-kai watch? Have you watched Yo-kai Watch? Do you actually know anything about Yo-kai Watch at all? It's as much of a Pokemon knock-off as Digimon or Shin Megami Tensei, in that there are "collectable" creatures. That's it. Your ignorance is painful. And you're far from the only one who believes this absolute nonsense.

Oh, but I forgot: Pokemon is the only collectable monster franchise that's allowed to exist, and how dare anyone suggest that they be allowed to co-exist.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Banned

News Credits:
    I've heard people say S and M copy ideas from the recent Digmimon games, and Yokai Watch, we've come full circle, except it's actually Pokemon doing the ripping off.

8. Gaastra

Gaastra Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe it's new stories based on the show. Why had comico releasing the robotech manga but that didn't stop dc from making new robotech stories or now comics making new speed racer stories.

Also I love IDW and boom making all these movie and cartoon books. In the 70s and 80s tons of them were made and dell comics made some of the best stories in comics with the uncle scrooge stories. Plus any comic aimed at kids is great. My nephew loves reading them.

9. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Firstly, DC's "Robotech" comics predated the tv show in the US and were not even based on the same IPs. They were based on model kits Harmony Gold acquired the rights to from completely unrelated cartoons like Dougram and stuff. And their comics sucked hard.

And with Speed Racer, you are talking about a short-running Japanese comic from decades earlier with a really old fashioned art style.

But Yokai Watch comics in Japan are running RIGHT NOW and are completely modern.

It's just like Judge Dredd. You can read the real comics from England which are still currently running and are great, or you can read IDW's idiotic Americanized version by a bunch of nobodies who don't really get the property.

• Like Like x 1