IDW Fembots continuity problem

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Remko, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Remko

Remko Well-Known Member

Perhaps there already is a topic about this, I haven't checked.

I was re-reading my IDW Collection Volumes (read "Spotlight: Arcee" last week, and "Megatron: Origins" today), and something caught my eye. Arcee talks about that she was one of the first fembots, after being experimented upon by Jhiaxus. However, in Megatron: Origins there are clearly Cybertronian hookers...

I'm confused...

Then again, there were fembots in the original G1 Cartoon...

Just something that caught my eye.

2. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Simon Furman was either unaware of or just chose to ignore the female Cybertronians in Megatron Origin when he wrote Spotlight: Arcee.

This happens to make the complaints from a while back that introducing Windblade and co. was bad because it was a retcon all the more amusing...

3. GingerSynapse

GingerSynapse Well-Known Member

Elita One shows up in Megatron: Origin 3 at Bumper and Fastback's funeral...no explanation there either. /shrug.

At this point I'm so fatigued from the topic I cannot even.

[​IMG]

4. VRDUBZAK

VRDUBZAK Titan

News Credits:
    Yeah, a search would have yielded the following results: [​IMG]

So now the writer of MTMTE, Mr. Roberts, introduced Estriol-Positive spark type, (See MTMTE 31) and the name is based off of Estriol: one of the three main estrogens produced by the human body.

Until we actually find out Arcee's spark type, and it is confirmed to not be similar to Windblade or other Camiens, we have to accept some......discrepancies.

5. Mako Crab

Mako Crab Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't forget Crasher, a female Renegade from Gobots, appeared in Megatron: Origin 2.

Crasher (G1) - Transformers Wiki

6. Krommdor

Krommdor The Penance Stare

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How about Info Creep that was just introduced in MTMTE? Another explanation for lost data on female bots? Has that been discussed at any length?

7. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Nope! Please explain.

8. GWolfv2

GWolfv2 Deathsaurus - A name you can trust for peace

News Credits:
    Megatron:Origin has its origin in Dreamwave. It was planned out before then it was brought over the IDW early on. This meant there was less interaction over the continuity then there would have been if the series was conceived during the IDW era. It wasn't communicated that female transformers would be an anomaly so we've got this continuity error. Chromia shows up at the funeral for instance. Less excusable is the appearance of a female in Drift.

It's also why Straxus appears as a guard...when he's supposed to be trapped in the dead universe or Monstructor watching the matches

Then again you could say Arcee is the continuity error since it came out a year later.

VERY interestingly, in the original script when it was a 6 issue DW series, Megatron had a mentor...makes me curious aboout Terminus in MTMTE

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  9. Krommdor

Krommdor The Penance Stare

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Basically the ides is their brains hit a storage limit of sorts and information gets jumbled. It's really not much different than human memory. The difference of course being millions and millions of years.

They contributed this to the notion of why they can't remember if the knights of cybertron are real or myth.

Correct me if I am wrong.

10. Remko

Remko Well-Known Member

I noticed Straxus. In the background. As an Autobot guard... The death of 'Senator' Ratbat was a nice touch too. Soundwave's logic: "Situation-War. Resources-Limited. Optimal solution-Repurpose valuable resources." And that's why Soundwave is one of my favorite 'Cons!!

Also, Grimlock and Sunstreaker are both at the gathering where Megatron proposes to wear his symbol, and basically forms the Decepticons. Skyquake can be seen earlier when Megatron is told to kill that Gobot badguy (can't remember his name). There are a lot more recognizable characters in the backgrounds though. But I haven't seen Monstructor yet.. Which scene is he in?

11. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Huh. Interesting. Could explain why no one remembers there being female TFs. Makes me think of Shockwave in G1 saying "I thought they were extinct." If most of them left the planet and the remaining ones didn't survive, it could eventually lead to mass memory loss, I guess?

You know the real problem with SL: Arcee? It's like, you might as well say, "Here's these robots. They transform." And then never show them transforming or say anything about how or why they transform our how their culture incorporates transforming into it.

Furman introduced the idea of gender into the comics, like some explanation was needed (it wasn't), and then just. . . ignored it.

12. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    This is an important thing people need to keep in mind when referring to Megatron: Origin.

13. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    It's best to pretend to ignore the continuity issues.

I mean seriously will they ever do anything with Elita-1?

14. Mako Crab

News Credits:
    Were all 4 issues already drawn for DW and just published by IDW?

15. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Either you find a way to rationalize a continuity error or you don't. Those that do go on to enjoy the comics that they're reading. Those that don't go on to live sad little lives searching Internet messages boards that may be discussing the topic that they so troll over.

16. GWolfv2

News Credits:
    Well that actually works. I like the idea Sunnie was tempted to be a gladiator. And Grimlock is on The List so he must have been with the cons at some point

he's watching the matches at one point, have to check the page

Origins is actualy a pretty solid mini of the day. Stands up fairly well. It's got issues, but I think a lot of those are due to its condension from 6-4 issues.

17. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall The original Mad Genius Gunpla and Cow Master

News Credits:
    I don't think so. It's Milne by his own style and not the forced Pat Lee "Fatformers." It just came out at such a point in IDW's infancy that it's hard to get an idea where each writer was when and how but to give you an idea who this Megatron is as opposed to the franchise's default start where he's already a defacto conquerer.

Adding Elita arm in arm with an obvious "Orion Pax" and a typical Prime clone "Magnus" behind him was probably Milne having fun with character fan service at some point before Furman dropped the plot bomb "Arcee is an experimental first."

From what we've already experienced with females is they're so obscurely rare and relegated to just back ground art and not forefront story goes with the whole sense of just how the Male population doesn't notice their gender identity.

Bringing up Spotlight Arcee she makes a note "You're doing it and you don't even notice.... "She" ." Which is again being approached by Rattrap in Windblade "So about this "She" thing?" Like he's so far removed he's breaking the fourth wall for the first-time Audience.

In More Than Meets The Eye we're getting an idea of what makes a spark 'female' with Nautica's stating she's Estroil Positive, while back in Windblade the only explanation it is "natural evolution" accepted by civilization that it didn't seem to be as polarizing from a non-gendered species than what we've only seen as predominantly/exclusively Male.

If anything this clears up some of the biggest fan fears about Arcee being a former manbot but just a spark that Jhiaxus 'forced along' to its natural stage.

18. GWolfv2

News Credits:
    When IDW got a hold of it, it was scripted only. But it was scripted as a 6 issue mini. IDW condensed that into four issues, which is why you can get a feeling of missing time.

Mairghread is interested in using her at some point, so I honestly would not be shocked if she shows up in Windblade Returns

Well we know Arcee was alive and in a body when Jhiaxus experimented on him, you can see him being tortured in a flashback in the SPL. But I agree, great it's a proper fundamental difference. My current pet theory is that transformers are genderless, but default male. And that something in Caminus activated the female genotype. Plus, we know camiens are both genders, so the males must have been there too but look the same as male cybertronians.

19. femmebotfangirl

femmebotfangirl Banned

If they default male they aren't genderless, they are male. Male is a gender.

20. Hadlen_Weltall

Hadlen_Weltall The original Mad Genius Gunpla and Cow Master

News Credits:
    Every time I see this panel, I see a scared little girl.
    [​IMG]

I'm not convinced with the whole 'him' part.