IDW comic - What the deal with Drift character ?

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Lightningsonic, May 16, 2020.

1. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

Correct. The number of series that get canceled or shut down quickly is high. And it's not like it's unprecedented in Transformers. Dreamwave literally died in a few months (mostly due to some shady business by Pat Lee), and Simon Furman got told early on issue 12 would likely be the last one for G2. It's happened in every comic publishing house, to big titles and small ones.

2. Swerve

Swerve Well-Known Member

After all, just look at the original marvel series- pulled everything together for a big, dramatic climax in issue #75. Then had to find five more issues. Now, those five issues are good ones- but, still, it's a weird effect, dramatically speaking.

• Like Like x 1
  3. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

They are, and they are also incredibly hard to find because they are so good. Surprising how they were able to do that. Wholesale slaughter and a focus on just the series mainstays really helped too.

4. TheSuperion

TheSuperion Am...were...Aerialbots

That implies I haven't already criticized elements of it before, on repeated occasions. Even though I have. What I don't do is throw around words like "Mary Sue" willy-nilly, because if you're using a single term as a catch all argument for why you don't like something, you've already conceded the debate. This is my actual pet peeve, as opposed to people merely not liking the stuff I like. You wanna talk in great length about specific problems you had with the dialogue, plot, or characterization in the comics? Fine by me. But "OMG, look at all those Mary Sue OC Self-inserts" isn't a compelling argument.... and yet it's also internet nerds' favorite argument as to why they don't like stuff. So I will push back against this no matter what platform I'm on (and I'm a member of far more sites than just this one).

I haven't read Barber's Optimus Prime comics yet, but from what I've heard, people were rather disappointed with them. Especially the ending. After introducing the insane plot twist involving Shockwave.... he kinda failed to stick the landing. And then the comic meandered on without any purpose for the last 4 or 5 issues, cause the actual resolution to the plot had been moved over to the Unicron event comic, so the Optimus Prime comic was forced to fill the last issues with.... well, filler.

5. Kaosu Reido

Kaosu Reido Well-Known Member

Actually, you started complaining that the answer you were given on why Drift was inconsistent included the author's opinion on Drift. You got your answer, though. Now, whenever someone gives their opinion on Drift, you keep coming back and fighting with them.

You're not having a polite conversation, you're flat out telling people they're wrong and being confrontational. You're being a jerk.

6. Lightningsonic

Lightningsonic Active Member

I am not say they are inconsistent, I say how bias of his comment on the 2 author's work. Base on his/her information he/she provide without even twisted them.

and that called debate.
    Each of us have different opinion but if only mine is jerk. That called double standard

Yeah, and that called debate.
    now prove me wrong, on the topic it self. Or walk away

7. Kaosu Reido

He told you why Drift seemed inconsistent. You didn't like the opinion he also added, and you started complaining about that and trying to tell him his opinion was wrong.
    No, that's called complaining about someone's opinion. There is nothing to "debate". An opinion is subjective, there is no right or wrong one in this case.
    There is nothing to prove you wrong on regarding Drift's inconsistent character portrayal. You are, however, continuing to be confrontational and rude for seemingly no reason. Again, that is not a debate, that's an argument.

Your English is extremely broken. If you're not trying to come off as rude and argumentative, well, I'm sorry but you certainly APPEAR to be coming off that way. You may want to work on choosing your words more carefully, because you're definitely not coming off as polite and respectful of others' opinions.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lightningsonic

Lightningsonic Active Member

yes, i said he was wrong. And... ?
    you disagreed with mine ?

I argues to proved someone's opinion wrong. That the goal of my comment. what are your again ?

9. Swerve

Swerve Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter in the slightest if you're right, if you're rude about it.

Honestly there's a world of difference between "Yes, I see your point, however, personally I prefer Shane McCarthy's take on Drift, and I think that if we have to decide between one or the other which is the 'right' one, I would consider that Roberts was the one to mishandle the character, since McCarthy was, after all, the original creator", and "Wow, it's super bias!" which was, I believe, the original comment which started the animosity, if I'm reading this right. If you're debating with someone, there's no need to belittle their opinion, and by extension, them, just because you happen to disagree with it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Kaosu Reido

Here, let me make this perfectly clear for you:

You're being an asshole.

• Like Like x 1