IDW based figures

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MaskSeeker, Dec 29, 2015.

1. MaskSeeker

MaskSeeker Well-Known Member

When looking at how IDW gave revamped designs for certain characters with figures, some more or less than others, then seeing how the Generations/Combiner Wars line has been putting more occasional design leaning towards an IDW based homage. Ultra Magnus, Brainstorm, and Bumblebee/Goldfire all have figures that have done a great job.

I started to wonder which ones will receive a new figure whether or not they give us a break from current and future line gimmicks. Personally I want to see one based on Sideswipe from either his current earth mode or his previous Cybertronian design from the Spotlight/Revelation comic series since the WFC/FoC figure doesn't work out enough aside from the new gun. Also Optimus Prime, Rodimus, Drift, Megatron and Cyclonus could use more IDW based figures. (Even if the last one is just a minor retool of the Universe/RTS Mold) Though OP & Megs should be Voyager sized to scale better with Ultra Magnus towering over them in comparison. Any other suggestions to add here?

2. MaskSeeker

I just thought of a few more figures that should be IDW based. Such as Wheeljack & Sunstreaker since even though there are Combiner Wars figures made they deserve more IDW based figures that capture those designs better than current deluxe figures. Ratchet who could easily have an Ironhide made out of him afterwards even if there is a MP of them both. Plus a voyager - leader class Fortress Maximus and Scorponok even if there is a Titan class set coming out for them.

3. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    Figures with Classics versions are less likely to get revamps anytime soon. If anything they're more likely to get toys that dictate the comic design (like Prowl) than the other way around. Your best bets are post-movie figures and ones they don't have a habit of doing over and over. Swerve, Magnus, Brainstorm. The rule according to Roberts is if Hasbro sees a creative thing in the comics they'll make a figure.

I wouldn't hold my breath for an IDW Max. Hasbro pretends the non-city sized Maximus doesn't exist.

4. MaskSeeker

That's actually how I meant it. Figures that follow IDW designs such as Prowl's WFC esque Cybertronian form or Ultra Magnus with Minimus Ambus inside which was created. Its not about revamping the designs they have currently; Its more about Hasbro creating toys/figures that are more centered on designs seen in the comics such as Sideswipe (Designs from past Spotlight Galvatron or current comics Transformers Ex-RiD), Wheeljack (WFC/FoC esque?) or Headmaster Sunstreaker, which should be made in Titan Returns, in a wider available range as per Roberts noted Hasbro toy rule.

And if that is true for Max then that's a shame since they couldn't make it where he's a tank and giant head for his titan class figure. They'll most likely do away with his IDW current body in Titan Returns in the comics which seems like a waste for the new duly appointed enforcer of the Tryest Accord. They make Blaster into a leader class yet not this warhammer!?

5. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Unfortunately with MTMTE confirmed as being involved with the Titan Returns crossover event, Fortress Maximus appearing on said event's promotional picture and Cerebros being mentioned in his latest in-comic appearance, I think Fort Max's tank body is living on borrowed time.

6. MaskSeeker

Where was that confirmed again? Must've missed that one. I would figure that only Fort Max would show up since he's still on Luna-2. I do remember Cerebros during that Scavengers issue though.

7. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

I know that Skids, Ultra Magnus/ Minimus, Springer, Bumblebee, and bits of Whirl (the head at least) are based on the IDW looks, while Arcee has some design elements from IDW, but the color scheme, guns and face are G1………

I predict we'll be seeing more of Fort Max this year, as well as other Head/Target/ Power/ Titan Masters (though Hardhead may be a bit difficult, unless Brainstorm has a back up Hard Drive (Memories, Personality) and a Spark for a new body since
    Hardhead was killed by Nova during Dark Cybertron

8. MaskSeeker

Hardhead is given a more G1 toy faceplate than his G1 Cartoon/IDW comics design. So
    for current comics they could have flashback appearances or even
    just put his Spotlight as pack-in material if they desire to add a comic.

I have to comment on how they plan on showing Chromedome as a Titanmaster since his designs from toys or media are significantly diverse in comparison. I personally prefer IDW since Rewind is an announced figure already and "Tumbler's" rough life is what endeared him to the audience more than the original cartoons or toy.

9. Gauntletblade

Gauntletblade Wrecker

I just want an IDW style Rodimus, hell they could have done it in Prime with the Wheeljack mold (with the BH mold used for Rodimus Prime)

10. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I'd be happy with Hasbro doing a separate, IDW-inspired line. In fact, I'd prefer fans get their IDW fix on the 84-85 characters while Generations finishes G1 updates for 86-88.

After Titan Wars Fortress Maximus hits, Hasbro can make him a tank forever if that's what fans want. But I've been waiting nearly 30 years for an awesome update to the G1 figure...and I'll be damned if a new comicbook screws that up. At least Minimus Ambus lives away from Generations Magnus...it'd be alot more difficult to resolve a tank and would be a "no purchase" from me.

11. MaskSeeker

Now instead we have an MP G1 Hot Rod coming up that hopefully won't pop its head clean off or snap its leg off. I like the Battle in Space Rodimus along with the RTS Cyclonus I wanted. Yet an IDW Rodimus needs an all new alt mode that is more Cybertronian MTMTE esque as Ultra Magnus.

They did make a Chromedome with the Prime Wheeljack mold yet it was only a Timelines subscription release. Even so, if they could make a more G1 alt mode esque Blurr apparently, then why not do the same for Chromedome while still making him IDW based. Maybe we can get the attempted Arcee retool from the dropped G1 toy proposals while we're at it.

12. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    I don't think we'll ever see an official tank Max, not for years and years at least now that there's a Generations toy. So nothing for you to worry about.

13. PredaconElder

PredaconElder Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He is a remold of Generations Metroplex. He is not an awesome update of anything.

This is true. All the Titans class figures have appeared in the IDW events such as Metroplex for Dark Cybertron for Thrilling 30 and Devastator for Combiner Wars for the Combiner Wars toyline. So there is little doubt that FortMax will become a remolded Metroplex in Titans Returns.

14. GrimlockPrimal

GrimlockPrimal Mini-Dino

Or they could simply have Cerebros control a super-body that he names after Fortress Maximus. That works just as well and doesn't make Max ridiculously titanic for any future stories involving him.

Weirder shit's happened in IDW, like the Deceptigod.

15. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    You don't know that "IDW" Max won't become a citybot later in the comics. Maybe within the next several months. The upcoming Titan Class Max may very well BE IDW Max.

In any case, the citybot is not the character. Never was. The character is the normal size Transformer which becomes the head to drive the giant body around. I don't know why IDW fans are so resistant to this. You'd still have your same size character.

16. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

I'd be real happy if with Titan Class Max, we got a Legends scale figure that looks like IDW Max, like the Scamper that came with Metroplex.

17. MatrixOfWumbo

MatrixOfWumbo I see you

News Credits:
    I'm referring to current Fort Max. I agree that his design will likely change to reflect the new toy around the same time as its release, but right now he is a large blue and white robot with funny black things on his head. That's the character I want a toy of.

18. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

yeah, same here. I must have missed this too:confused: ......

19. PredaconElder

PredaconElder Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Perfect Effects made one already.

Warden (Perfect Effect) - WikiAlpha

• Like Like x 1
  20. WishfulThinking

WishfulThinking The world has moved on...we've always said.

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Yes, THAT'S why his profile name is Cerebros! Duh, silly me. And all this time, I thought Fortress Maximus was the primary form. Silly Hasbro, trying to trick me!