IDW announces Visionaries vs. Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Boatformer, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Darth Gonzo

Darth Gonzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Other things Hasbro could put in the IDW Hasbro Universe.
    1. Spiral Zone
    2. Robotix
    3. Inhumanoids
    4. COPS
    5. The Centurions
    6. Sky Commanders
    7. Air Raiders

• Like Like x 1
  2. Darth Gonzo

News Credits:
    Other things Hasbro could put in the IDW Hasbro Universe.Spiral Zone
    Robotix
    Inhumanoids
    COPS
    The Centurions
    Sky Commanders
    Air Raiders

3. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    This is definitely it for some fans, but for me, I actually LOVE the idea of a shared universe. However, I think IDW tried to both reboot the different franchises with changes that went too far (changed ethnicities, etc) AND
    then shoehorned them into a fairly stable and balanced existing franchise (TFs). If they had created either a completely separate shared universe (including one for TFs) and made any crazy, [email protected] changes that their soon-to-be-unemployed writers wanted, then I doubt there would be much nerd-rage. Similar things happened in Transformers Animated (the "strange" aesthetics, etc) but it didn't really contaminate G1.

If they created more classics based reboots and included them in the TF comics, that would also be fine with me, as long as I didn't feel that I HAD to follow ever comic. The collector in me would easily become fatigued and I world simply give up collecting altogether.

Thus, I think it's a combination of excessive changes in reboots, cramming them into an existing franchise and seemingly trying to elicit fans to either start buying more comics (to get the full story) or try their best to buy LESS comics (to avoid all of the crossover stuff).

All in all, this has been handled rather poorly, with fans of both the new changes and those that are not forced to read the same story.

It reminds me of the rather poorly made crossover Transformers, which COULD have been great, but basically ended up being "robots cosplaying as Darth Vader/Spiderman". It doesn't mean the idea could have been great, it just means Hasblo didn't do a good job.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Too bad Mattel owns Wheeled Warriors, I always thought that would be a good explanation for Botanica. That it would turn out Sawboss was actually a cybertronian who had is genetics messed with.

• Like Like x 2
  5. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

That's a sign that these properties do not have enough of an audience to warrant a comic book.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Yeah, that's a thing now.

I'm not really mad about this because it looks like VvsTF will be a miniseries and I can simply not read it.

However...

This might as well end with Ironhide being killed or otherwise removed from the recurring TF cast (for an example - moved as a resident TF to the Visionaries book) and I'd rather not have TF cast member removed for a sake of a book that I really don't care about.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Darth Gonzo

News Credits:
    Something I would like to out to those people that don\'t buy the Transformers comics because of the fact they are now in a shared universe. You guys hope that by not buying the comics it\'ll make them thake the Transformers out of the shared universe right? That\'s not what\'s going to happen, what\'s going to happen is not that. Hasbro is trying to make a shared movie universe, and that means the comic shared universe isn\'t going any where. If you guys want good Transformers comics then buy the comics.You don\'t have to buy the other comics if you don\'t want too, it\'s up to you.

8. jame5y

jame5y Till All Are One..In the UK Thread

I reiterate what I said on Twitter

IMG_3337.jpg

I'm all for making good and different changes, I feel some people need to be a bit more flexible in how things get moved on. It all gets a bit tiresome reading 'RUINED MY CHILDHOOD' over and over

• Like Like x 6
  9. Boatformer

Boatformer #HaulOfFame

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    He WAS redesigned. There are still people who call him "Rom in name only" because of it.
    I am personally of the opinion that they are very silly people, but...

10. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    And just how big of a fan were you of Visionaries back in the 80s?

So like, I used to watch Gobots as a kid. If IDW gave us a Transformers/Gobots crossover comic, I'd want to see the 80s Gobots designs - if they're going to bring back the Gobots from the 80s but not bring back the 80s Gobots, then why bother? They would just be generic robots no different from new Transformers made up for the Transformers comics. I'd want modern Leader-1 to look like cartoon Leader-1, modern Cy-Kill to look like cartoon Cy-Kill - the only changes being the much higher quality of artwork than we got in the 80s. Sometimes having nostalgia for a series not seen since the 80s means you don't want super stylised redesigns when they finally do return. That has nothing to do with whining "RUINED MY CHILDHOOD", I just have no interest in seeing something new and different claim to be the same thing as something old. And I really don't have faith in IDW's ability to make me care for new designs. I'm getting very tired of crossovers lately that if there isn't something comfortable and familiar to latch on to, then I won't latch on to at all. As I also said, if this new Leoric was a new character with a new name starring alongside 80s Leoric, I'd have no problem with that.

This is an example of the right way to update characters from the 80s for the modern era. Galvatron may be in his 1986 toy colors but that's fine - he originated with having two different color schemes so we accept him as having two different color schemes.

[​IMG]

And I just picked this image as it was one of the covers of the latest issue, not as a shining example to support my claims.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Blueshift

Blueshift Bloop

Well, difference there is that they legally couldn't, as Hasbro own the IP and concepts, but Bandai own the designs. Not an issue with anything else mind, but means we'll never get a proper Gobots redux!

12. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Yeah, I know they legally can't. I chose the Gobots as an example to get away from the argument being about race since the Gobots don't have race.

13. CelticMutt

CelticMutt Herald of Thundercracker

Not who you were quoting, but I said this before, I'll say this again - I'm an 80s kid, I had the toys, I loved the cartoon as one of the best of the 80s, and I am loving the redesigns. Stop acting like it's impossible for someone to have been a fan of the original and the new version, or to recognize them as the same thing.

• Like Like x 7
  14. Darth Gonzo

News Credits:
    If they did reboot Gobots, they would most likely used the Mini-Bots reprints and have Aileron become Crasher somehow.

15. Boatformer

Boatformer #HaulOfFame

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Also, please stop acting like only people who loved the original and have all the toys and the DVD box set have a right to an opinion on the current designs.

• Like Like x 8
  16. chuckcjc

chuckcjc Wheeljack Engineer Corp.

News Credits:
    Geez why are the covers so damn gruesome?

17. Boople Barp

Boople Barp Well-Known Member

Instagram:
    Wait, Mags is writing this? The Kim and Kim Mags? The advocate of political violence Mags?

Setting the bar high for writers there, IDW. You've picked the true salt of the earth.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    And I bet the same has and can still be said about TF which is only as popular as it is because of it's "giant aliens robots that turn into another thing" gimmick.

19. shamanking282

shamanking282 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Because it's a franchise that has actually had active, continuous support and product from Hasbro outside of the comics, which none of these other properties can claim. There's no question that IDW is trying desperately to convince the fans that may have jumped on to TFs through MTMTE or something to check out these dead 80s franchises.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No there is serious questioning how you can make that jump when none of these other franchises have appeared in MtMtE which isn't doing all that hot and wasn't even affect by the crossover. And really TF is just lucky and probably in another 20 or 50 years could be as dead as these other franchises do to lack of interest.