IDW announces Visionaries vs. Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Boatformer, Sep 8, 2017.

1. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:

Why have I got an in-site notification that states you quoted me, when I'm not quoted here? It keeps taking me to this post.

2. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Why do new fans need to have new designs? Why can't they just become fans of the old designs?

• Like Like x 2
  3. LegionMaximus

LegionMaximus Well-Known Member

I'm fine with IDW making a Visionaries comic and making changes to the Visionaries' appearances or backstory. But I'm tired of these 2nd tier franchises riding the coattails of the Transformers, being dumped into the TF universe in an attempt to scrape up a few more sales. Make them like the Jem comics, put them in their own self-contained universe.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    But my point is that they are two different companies who have worked together. Whether they have done it in the past doesn't matter.

5. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    Completely agree with you. Freddy Mercury rules the good guys, not Mc Hammer. Don't worry about the other poster; simply set them to "ignore" and report them for their abusive language. They haven't helped anyone involved in the discussion with language and posts line that.

I wasn't aware though that Leoric WAS black in the reboot. Are there pictures? If this is true, then I'm basically done with IDW and their irrelevant, forced agendas. They are awkwardly done, and add nothing more than nerdrage.

People need to be getting sacked over this. The rebooted stuff has been handled sloppily and without any good writing, it seems.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They've tired that with G.I. Joe and that didn't go well and they've given Action Man and Rom there own solos before crossing them over. Plus I think this is a good why to expand the universe without making up new characters.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  7. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Banned

News Credits:
    Because things change dummy!!! Why do you think Transformers or Ninja turtles have this longevity? They change art styles, the change designs of major characters, they change with the times!! TO. GET. NEW. FANS!!!!!!!

8. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    Okay so my memories fuzzy on a toon that old. xD

It was a "like earth" scenario then when technology went out. That opens more doors too.

Pretty much all I remember of that toon was that it was a world much like our own, with cities much like our own, then technology ceased working, and sorcery was used to grant them energy for their new vehicles. So excuse my confusion. Easy mistake on that, especially after we had that live action series with much of that same "technology stops working" basis.

Although, it being on a different world then makes it all the more interesting to see what alt-forms come from this art-wise. And what story directions it takes.

9. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    This is Leoric, revealed yesterday.
    [​IMG]

Guess which one of the four completely different art styles I despise?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Megastar

News Credits:
    I get your point, but that still doesn't mean it will happen. Actually it does matter becusce they know they can trust each other with their properties and who even has the comic rights to Thundercats?

11. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    Oh dear. Even without the needless race change, the design looks...well, crap.

Easy pass for me!

If they're going to keep pulling this lame stunt every time, why can't they just keep them out of Transformers? Hasbro has the common sense to make all sorts of crazy kid-orientated TF shows without polluting G1, so why can't IDW get the hint and do the same?

Seriously, I couldn't care less if they had them riding ponies and made them all transgendered reptiles, just as long as they don't try to encroach on "my" Transformers. That way, IDW could do whatever crud they want, and then they could introduce the "real" MASK, Visionaries, etc in the G1 IDW TF comics, if need be.

Everyone wins.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Megastar

News Credits:
    There's one where the turtles don't look like Turtles? And what's your point, that people aren't gonna know who Leoric is becusce he's black now or that he looks like a badass and not some easily breakable toy?

13. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

IDW Hasbroverse is the worst thing but these guys look cool. I'll pick it up and hope it's good.

14. Scrapmaker

Scrapmaker Hadar Sen Olmen

I read that there were plans for a Micronauts cartoon like ten years back, but Hasbro cancelled it after they bought the franchise. If they hadn't, they might have released toys for it then.

It's actually a little odd that they're licensing them out as comics but not even trying for cartoons, which would probably reach a much wider audience and help sell toys.

15. Easy Tiger

Easy Tiger Well-Known Member

I'd guess the point is that he doesn't look like Leoric...
    Even without focussing on race, outside of the actual design of the lion totem and the fact that he is male, there is zero in common with the Leoric character.

Moustache: No
    Power Staff: No
    Power of Wisdom: No
    Whip: ish

It's not impossible to revamp something while being sympathetic to the source material. The best revamps do. IDW transformers do not look like the G1 ones, but you can instantly tell who they are - even with the stupidly obscure characters. In contrast, there is nothing about this that design that looks even vaguely reminiscent of Leoric.

16. wildfly

wildfly Fermenting pork tube.

News Credits:
    So when can we have an Iron Mountain playset then?

Damn you Michael Ba...

What?

17. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    That's my bad. I accidentally hit one of your posts to quote, deleted it. Sorry about that.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jalaguy

Jalaguy has no known physical weaknesses

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    I dunno about anyone else, but my sole experience with Visionaries is getting Leoric in the SDCC boxset, and I was able to instantly recognise the new design as him.

Blue and green armour: Yes
    Whip: Yes (how on Earth is it only "ish"?)
    Lion chest thing: Yes

Saying the new Leoric is unrecognisable as Leoric is like saying TFA Optimus Prime is unrecognisable as Optimus Prime because he has a blue face.

It's a new look for him, no doubt about that, but it's still clearly a version of the same character.

• Like Like x 2
  19. CapnScumbone

CapnScumbone Ruiner of mirth

I actually really liked Visionaries. The \'kindly old wizard\' was actually a horrible sadistic asshole who made everyone fight for his own amusement, some of the characters\' summons were insanely powerful, and there were numerous likeable characters. I think it was good because it was such a minor franchise that they let the writers do whatever they wanted, so the end result was actually funny and interesting. The opening credits kicked ass too, definitely up there with season 2 G1\'s opening! 

• Like Like x 2
  20. Rockdown

Rockdown Dream Commander

Ebay:
    A black person reading this thread would probably be mortified by some of the comments. The revival of the visionaries franchise I thought would have been a cause for elation not animus.