IDW announces Visionaries vs. Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Boatformer, Sep 8, 2017.

1. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    history is full of evolutionary dead ends.

2. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Probably only because they stylised him on a GIJoe Skystriker. TC is an F-22 and Starscream looks like he was wearing Guidi's/PoTP body which is sort of F-22-ish.

3. Diamondback

Diamondback Bitterly Clinging G1 Micromaster Malcontent

News Credits:
    "Stylized" being canards like the NF-15B ACTIVE, or outward-canted fins like the Silent Eagle concept? G1/Masterpiece is specifically an F-15J (Mitsubishi license-build for JASDF), you can tell by the left fin having the same-size tip pod as the right like most export/foreign-builds; USAF birds have a larger pod with an ECM antenna on the left side.

Still not much smaller...

4. omegafix

omegafix Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    I think this is the final straw for me, fuck this shared Universe bullshit and Fuck IDW.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Deadend

Deadend Spark of Creation

News Credits:
    Sounds intriguing. Really curious what kind of story this will have and how it will evolve!

I'm curious on that, because Visionaries originally was set in the far future on earth. So them interacting with modern day Cybertronians or Cybertron (unless the origin is changed for the Visionaries) raises some immediate questions if time travel will be involved. Which is possible. With Visionaries having a basis of magic and technology merged, it's not like there are any limitations to what they could do story-wise.

So that being said, that cover could be a future ironhide that does get destroyed or salvaged for parts. Really depends on how they approach this. Lots of amazing potential from AU to time travel crossed timelines and averted futures, to anything else the writers could come up with. This is a crossover that could be lots of fun and lead to some really interesting stuff later!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  6. MGX

MGX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Prysmos was Earth?

7. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Indeed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. CelticMutt

CelticMutt Baka Mitai

Stylized like a cross between an F-15 and a Su-30. I think. His jet mode doesn't get shown very often, and usually from bad angles. And for some reason his arm cannons are on top of his shoulders instead of on his arms. I like the regular artist for GI Joe but ... he makes some odd choices sometimes.

9. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Visionaries was set on an alien planet called Prysmos, not Earth. Unless that was a twist that I'm not aware of.

10. shumworld

shumworld Well-Known Member

I hope the Visionarie's ability to become animals isn't originated from TFs ability to transform.

11. Darth Gonzo

Darth Gonzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Someone told me that these new designs are like Magic: the Gathering, so who know there could be a reason them to look like characters from Magic.

12. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I acknowledged it would look good to me if I didn't care about Visionaries or really didn't know anything about the old show, but since I was a fan of the show in the 80s and enjoyed watching the episodes on DVD a few years ago, that's what I personally want from Visionaries. Looking at the artwork from the new comic, I just feel alienated and disconnected from the show I remember. Just because it didn't have many episodes doesn't mean it was poor in quality. There's nothing even bad about the old show either other than it being a product of its time, which I wouldn't call a flaw. I have just found the Marvel Visionaries comic online so I'll be reading that this weekend. I've only read a little before, when it was a back-up strip in Marvel Transformers UK.

I'd also call the Jem movie to be bad without having seen it either, preferring the original cartoon designs there as well. I bet Boatformer would criticise me for saying that as well since apparently in her mind, "new is always better than old and how dare anyone still like the old instead of the new".

• Like Like x 2
  13. Darth Gonzo

News Credits:
    Why are you so up in arms agaist this? Also this no where as bad as the Jem movie. Are you just butt hurt that there a black guy in Visionaries, because that\'s what it seeams like.

14. MGX

MGX Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's the same thing as Jem. New version of an old favorite. He's a fan of the old version that's disappointed with the redesigns.
    This is guaranteed to happen everytime Hasbro redesigns an old property that someone was feeling.

15. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's Scriptor

News Credits:
    Power Rangers isn't owned by DC and yet they crossed over with the Justice League.

16. Darth Gonzo

News Credits:
    Let me ask this, how did the old Visionaries designs make sense for the story of a super high advanced technological society in a post-apocalyptic world? These new designs gives that off better then the old ones did. Also I knew who the new Leoric was right when I saw him.

17. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    New Leoric is several colors different to the old Leoric, not just black. I'd still be saying the same things if new Leoric's skin colour was white and everything else remained the same. I just don't see a need to completely throw out an existing character's design from the 80s when you're marketing a return of an 80s series; having blue armour isn't enough. And if that existing character design happens to have white skin, keep the white skin. You want to make a black character the main character, make up a completely new character or ascend a minor existing black character into the spotlight. Either is perfectly okay. And yet you'll still call me racist despite having said that having black characters take the lead role is acceptable simply because I don't want familiar character appearances change for the sake of change.

Let's take Lug from Transformers who was Hosehead's Nebulan companion. Up until recently, he has always been shown inside his armour and never outside it. When he does eventually appear outside of his armour, he's a black guy. And I don't have any problem with that because nothing was changed from how he originally was. He'd have to be green if he were to appear in the cartoon continuity though.
    [​IMG]

Because all that super high advanced technology was taken away from them. The opening even says that they live in an age where magic is more powerful than science. That's the key phrase to the premise of Visionaries. The story was about them having to adapt to an age without technology by having to learn how to survive with a level of technology that our real world had back in the medieval ages. And that means knights wearing suits of armor like we had back then, only with actual dragons and magic too. Sure, they were able to use their knowledge to revive a few of the machines from the age of technology which was a key story point in some episodes but the basic story is of an advanced civilisation being bombed back to the medieval ages.

Because of the blue armor and lion motif. If you just saw a black and white line drawing of him without the lion motif, you would have no clue who he was supposed to be.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That comic is published by Boom Studios who've DC has had other crossovers with like with IDW.

19. jackgaughan

jackgaughan Banned

News Credits:
    Aye and well that's fine and dandy cause that's for you and there's a new design for new fans.

20. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This response is almost depressing.

• Like Like x 7