IDW’s Transformers Comics Solicitations: May 2022

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by ezim93, Feb 17, 2022.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Go back to sleep. The last ten years of the entertainment industry clearly passed you by if you require someone to explain what happened to any of those properties I listed.

• Like Like x 2
  2. G2 Superion is fabulous

G2 Superion is fabulous time

The garbage can behind your local Applebees.
    Nonono i have my thoughts! I just wanna know yours. What do you think ruined those franchises? Explain it to me. Just so there's no confusion about what you're saying.
    I don't want to make any assumptions as to your thought process.

• Like Like x 8
  3. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Chromedome & Rewind, and Cyclonus & Tailgate weren’t really gay though. Not in the human sense of the definition. They were two pairs of relationships between Cybertronians. The fact the four used male pronouns was not the focus of their relationships or the writing.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Happy Miracle

Happy Miracle Well-Known Member

I don't want to denigrate you Bass XO, but the fact that you've mentioned at least eight properties that are either explicitly or largely intended for children as being 'ruined' might be a sign that the culture has moved on and your preferences just aren't important. I hate to be the guy who says "Oh there's no such thing as an objective good and who are you to declare yourself arbiter of taste" but yeah, I would honestly suggest that if you're despairing at the current direction of popular/nerd/nostalgia/consumer culture storytelling/products it might be time to expand your literary horizons (its late maybe this post dont work so good)

Likewise the relationships you mention were both coded and explicitly done as gay, and this is public knowledge. I get that this might not make sense to you but Transformers have behaved and acted in ways that reflect the human condition (eating, drinking, overdoing it, lust, murder, war, love, laughing, crying, grief, comraderie, ideological difference, etc). Would be a bit backwards if they couldn't be gay tbh.

Last edited: May 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 13
  5. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

I agree with this. I mean, that said, kid's shows. It's actually kind of disappointing when you look at Cyberverse and the Netflix shows --- because they don't reflect the animation landscape very well. There are plenty of more sophisticated, successful kid's shows. Cyberverse isn't aimed at the pre-school set like, say, Paw Patrol, but its direct competition is stronger. The NF shows... wow. When you look at other Nostalgia cartoons and their quality levels. She-Ra was more aimed at a new audience, but Voltron got like five or six seasons. I know MOTU: Revelations didn't land for everybody (although a significant portion of the negative reaction is from an awful type of person), but it had great animation and a tremendous voice cast. What the hell was the excuse for such a shitty budget that led to no-name VA and bad animation?

That said, oh well. I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. Shrug and move on.

There are people in this thread reiterating the same goddamn complaints they were literally a half-decade ago, zero growth, zero reflection. just asinine, little boy perspectives. shooty shooty bang bang.

When grown men are talking about "brands" as a FAN you know it's off.

• Like Like x 3
  6. RNSrobot

LMAO I'm so shocked by the response you received.

SHOCKED, I SAY.

SHOCKED.

Not that shocked.

• Like Like x 6
  7. T-Hybrid

T-Hybrid Gnodab Kidult (He/Him)

News Credits:
    I've long held that the most common cause of people getting as mad as they do about stuff like this is the slow-rolling realization they're losing interest in a hobby they've long held as a key part of their identity.

And instead of simply accepting they've lost interest and moving on to something else they enjoy, they've decided to cling desperately to something they no longer enjoy.

It ironically dovetails in to the conversation in the other thread about Hasbro wanting Transformers to be a "lifestyle brand." People scoff at the phrasing but then come in to this conversation and get mad at how the show has changed to reflect the interests of the audiences who are the most commercially influential.

But instead of pivoting to focus on the stuff they do enjoy they continue to force themselves to follow newer info/figures that they hate. Which is a shame because there is SO MUCH in this franchise that we can waste our time in.

• Like Like x 12
  8. RNSrobot

This is the crux of all this fandom bullshit.

The folks who have made the thing they like who they are

I fucking love Transformers.

My identity is not formed by that and my identity is not shaken when transformers do things that I don't enjoy.

I didn't enjoy the bay movies or toys so I stopped giving a shit about them, consuming them. There were other parts of transformers I enjoy.

And what is the problem with a story you like TAKING A BREAK or not constantly producing new things to consume? Why this need for all the things we like to just go on endlessly and mindlessly?

If transformers stopped tomorrow, it doesn't take away anything that has been done. I would be disappointed. I would not angry, rage filled, or feel like"part of me is gone."

It's terrifically emotionally stunned and unhealthy for that and the reasons you pointed out. Clinging to something that perhaps, you are no longer interested in.

Like She-Ra. Why does the newShe-Ra have to be made for "fans of the original"? Why is it so "appalling" to grown ass men in their forties that it was made for a new audience? Why do we NEED more new content directly catering to us?

Why are some so upset when it is not about them?

• Like Like x 8
  9. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Why call it She-Ra if it’s not for fans of the original? The whole point of calling it She-Ra was to deceive the original fans into watching the new show when it was nothing like the original show. They could have made the same show under a different title and different character names and nothing would be lost - only then it wouldn’t have the legitimacy of being part of a long running franchise. 40 year olds know what He-Man and She-Ra are, and that’s what Noelle Stevenson was banking on to get it noticed.

You want to do something completely different, then call it something completely different. But then they have to put in some actual effort to build a new brand up instead of piggybacking on the success and familiarity of an older show. You’re not entitled to the success of an older show simply by giving your new entirely different and completely unrelated show the same name.

• Like Like x 1
  10. RNSrobot

"Deceived" "entitled"

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :bay 

• Like Like x 11
  11. Q Prime

Q Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :throw 
    Dude, that's quite literally the point of a long-running brand. Do you think Beast Wars or the UC isn't worthy of the Transformers name because they do something different than G1?

• Like Like x 6
  12. Senator Magnificus

Senator Magnificus Banned

YouTube (Legacy):
    Majority of Gee-Wunners:
    frustration-me.gif

• Like Like x 4
  13. Tetratron

Tetratron AEColyte

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Personally, my own idea is it's a case of "it's not the years, it's the mileage" rather than just being "old".

• Like Like x 8
  14. RNSrobot

That's fucking perfect. I knew you had potential, lad!

• Like Like x 4
  15. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    To my five year old, all adults seem old.

To me, my parents seem old.

To my parents, my son and I both seem young.

It's all perspective.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Happy Miracle

Happy Miracle Well-Known Member

I want to clarify that I hate doing a line-by-line response but there is a lot here (it's very rich!) that I want to address because it might help someone get some kind of clarity.

There is an idea that media produced for an IP has to keep in mind the original fans at all times. This isn't wrong, but it's incorrect to assume that 'original fans' are the focus. If you're the holder of the She-Ra IP, a franchise designed and more-or-less explicitly designed to 'sell He-Men to young girls' but now more broadly about appealing to younger people, who are you going to make a show for? Is it the 40-year-old men who have kept the idea of She-Ra bubbling, despite the meaningful lack of new content, or is it going to be your actual audience, young boys/girls who are the children of people who might've watched/had fond memories of She-Ra from their own childhood?

The statement you've made marks a pretty clear misunderstanding in who these things have always been made for. Neither narratively or aesthetically was this going to be a continuation of the original She-Ra because even aesthetically, the conditions that contributed to She-Ra (and any other 90s/90s IP franchise media, take your pick) just do not exist anymore. Also, what audiences want and expect is clearly different to what you want.

I'll go backwards; Noelle Stevenson was already noticed before modern She-Ra was produced. You've gotten a bit mixed up in how these things are made, so I'll do my best to clarify, though I'm no expert: Stevenson pitches to the IP holders of She-Ra, OR the IP holders of She-Ra solicit a pitch from Stevenson. IP holders are interested in, and agree to, Stevenson producing a She-Ra show. You often do not get your foot in the door unless you've already been able to prove yourself on other projects. It is incredibly difficult to get to this stage and very competitive too, as it wasn't even just Stevenson pitching or being solicited. The idea that Stevenson somehow 'culturally appropriated' She-Ra for their own purposes is laughable, because while it is technically true that She-Ra is a 'long-running franchise', it also hasn't had any meaningful (as in, something noticed by people who arent 30-50 year old men, ie not the target demographic if the IP holders are being honest with themselves) media since the 80s.

Deception is also not really the point here; this is a She-Ra show, about She-Ra, doing She-Ra stuff. She interacts with She-Ra-adjacent characters, some of which are explicitly from the 80s show, and some not. It also makes no allusions about its look, feel or aesthetics. The whole 'point' of calling it She-Ra is that it is what it says it is, and to say that people are tricked into watching it is very patronising and I'd argue unrealistic; people are many things, but if their reaction to "There is a new She-Ra" is "it will be like the old She-Ra, but just better!" then thats on them for being ignorant enough to think that everything is Garfield comics; unchanging and immovable and not responding to the world around it.

Didn't OG She-Ra just piggy-back off He-Man though? And when we discuss success, sure, She-Ra is something people are fond of, but it's a stretch to argue that it was a success; There's been two series, each about 35-40 years apart, whereas its contemporaries (both within traditional 'boys' and 'girls' IP franchise media) have had numerous iterations. I'd argue that making a new She-Ra show that didn't have an explicit link to He-Man was more a risk to Noelle Stevenson's reputation/IP holders interests than it was about exploiting an actual success, whereas it could've just been content exploiting She-Ra as a meme or a He-Man side-character in perpetuity.

Anyway long story short, dont hitch your wagon to content produced for IP/children.

PS: nvm
    PPS: fixed gender pronouns, sorry
    PPPS: I should clarify once again that no one is arguing that change is necessarily always 'good', but it is necessary, whether its change you make yourself or change you're required to undergo to remain relevant. Your childhood was and is important to you and thats awesome, but it isn't in any way an arbiter of quality. You don't have to like She-Ra, or anything else, but consider divesting yourself emotionally from something that just ain't for you.

• Like Like x 8
  17. T-Hybrid

News Credits:
    The original He-Man rode a giant tiger because someone had a spare giant tiger toy laying around that needed somewhere to go and the dude literally said "I don't give a fuck, put a fucking saddle on it."

It's fun to look back fondly on our youth, but I loved the blunt honesty of that moment in the interview. They were toy commercials first. And based on how many of us view them decades later....they were very good ones.

• Like Like x 10
  18. THE-TRANSFORMER

THE-TRANSFORMER Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not here to fan the flames of argument, especially since it seems I have a foot in both camps and may add nothing to the conversation. However my 2c:

No, not everything has to be rigidly structured around an 80's property, however as a corporation of a long running IP, it is in their best interest to keep as close to the source material as possible. Take TMNT, probably be best example of this. Still different shows, however all* stick pretty close to the source material. This way, all generational fans of TMNT move together as one, so when a new series comes out, it shoots to the top of the sellers chart and dominates for several years.
    The * is in relation to TMNT Rise, which strayed a bit too far from the source concept, inevitably failed and was panned by the community.

Comparing that to the Transformers fandom, while there are some who appreciate "Transformers", we are pretty fractured. Some like G1, some like Beast Wars, others AEC, or Prime or Bayverse. If a toy line comes out, the fandom don't all as a whole go out and buy it up (yes including the new kiddies watching the show) they look at it and "pass on the Beasts", or "OMG why so much Geewone" or "Bayverse is S#!t".

From a corporate opportunity its that constant push and pull of create something close to the source and bring everyone along, or create something new but leverage the brand, hoping to bring some of the fandom but also create a whole new group. This decision in my mind really comes down to what you are trying to sell. For Hasbro, who are trying to sell toys, something that the younger generation aren't into for as long, they'd be better off sticking to the original concept and designs which doubles up for keeping people on the hook for longer but also, Dad/Mum walking down the isle looking for something and going "oh cool, I remember this, I'll get it for Jimmy" vs "wow, Transformers sure are different from when I was a kid".

You guys really should have kept it up. 1st season wasn't very good, however it got better and better.

Well yes, the idea is to try and leverage that brand and bring along some of the original fans. I'd say it's a bit of a stretch to say it was nothing like the original show though. Certainly the tone and some themes were different, however the concepts and story beats remained intact. The main thing is so long as you make the show with care and produce the best it can be, it should be enjoyed by all. She-Ra was great.

Ii would argue, Revelations with it's slick animation and attempt to continue the original series was... less great. However that has more to do with execution and less to do with concept.

Nah, I get mad because I'm sure I can do a better job. Trust me, when I helm the next Transformers series Beachcomber will be more prominent that Bumblebee. ;) 

• Like Like x 2
  19. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That entire part of the interview and that they had to make the He-man show cause they had said they're working on it when they never had plans too were my absolute favourite parts.

• Like Like x 6
  20. RNSrobot

The best toys that made us episode, no question. Though the barbie one was far more bonkers than anticipated!

• Like Like x 1