IDW’s Transformers Comics Solicitations: July 2021

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by shadow panther, Apr 23, 2021.

1. AzT

AzT Moderator News Staff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That last page is exactly what Sentinel and Optimus feared would happened; other species taking up arms against them.

3. Scurv

Scurv Well-Known Member

Transformers are supposed to be notoriously hard to kill, not anymore I guess? Who cares about Megatron and his threat to the galaxy if lots of organics can easily smoke him lol

• Like Like x 2
  4. PhantomMenace

PhantomMenace UN-LIM-IT-TED POWER

That stick figure swarm is pathetic.

Some IDW1 late-phase stories had lifeless, stupidly cutesy wootsy robots too. Was that this current artist also? This looks like the absolutely worst issues of Lost Light and TAAO, with the MLP crossover added in for good measure, just smushed together into the least coherent trash I can see.

I would have found this to be fine in the Marvel Days, but the texture of the paper and older coloring style would have made it much more charming. And standards were different. And it still wouldn't be GOOD like some of the truly great art of that era it would simply be acceptable.

This is simply unacceptable.

The worst thing about any new comic TF or otherwise is that the digital photoshop colors really do look lifeless and flat except in the most talented of hands. Livio despite his shaky lines at least has a lot of depth and texture, he's the master of digital coloring he just needs to start coloring on someone else's lines. Livio is proof that great coloring can forgive (at least slightly) shaky lines. Maybe he should have colored this issue?

The coloring here while uninspired is at least more competent than the stick-figure swarm of extinction. Who draws that and submits it to a publisher to print for one of their cash-cow lifeline big name franchises?

I like the story but this AKOM tier art is just bad. It could at least have been colored in some way that doesn't make it look like a fully lit soundstage inside of a flash-o-verse. This looks like a bit from Rick and Morty or some flash animated YouTube thing. It's devoid of any identity or dignity. There's no sense of space or any sense of menace or stakes. Where's the light source? Everywhere? Nowhere?

Where's the menace or the stakes or the grimace? I just don't buy these expressions either. There's just something missing from it.

The faces aren't quite dull surprise but this looks like the artist has just a bag full of stock expressions for different feelings that they plaster onto anyone's face as needed.

It's just so lifeless and uninspired. Has anyone let her know how bad this is? How can the editors let this pass through? Does Brian think that Beth has brought the story to life in a way that reflects the thought and work he's put into this project?

I understand they wanna bring in a more diverse group of creators these days but I feel like they just picked these guys up at a local coffee shop. Bring back Kei Zama she kicked absolute ass. Or is it just being dirt cheap like Hasbro's been with voice actors?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  5. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
  6. Blitz.

Blitz. Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I cant confirm anything so take this with a grain of salt but from what I hear via a mutual friend of some one who has worked in comics for some time is that IDW apparently have some of the lowest pay rates in the industry.... allegedly.

So I'm not surprised when i hear that often the artists who make this treat it like a second job because (again allegedly) you cant really make a decent wage just working for IDW you really need to supplement it with other gigs to have a living wage.

BUT I can only forgive so much and as a consumer I just don't want to spend money on this.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2021
  7. Lucas35

Lucas35 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There were already some comments about Escape's coloring in the annual thread.

I don't think this is a secret, I've read about how Roberts and Malkova have other jobs while working on Transformers comics.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Behold, Gagatron!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What the heck is 4 armed Tau Ocotpunch? And who was that gold-purple bot?
    Anyone also knows why/how the Insecticons can clone themselves? In galaxies they couldnt do that...

9. Happy Miracle

Happy Miracle Well-Known Member

Oh I aint buying this mess, thats for sure.

10. Megastar

Megastar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It shouldn't be about them being hard to kill, but how much damage cause. In IDW1 they we're stupidly overpowered and even than they'd killed each other in almost every issue. It's also been stated the the universe is field with other races that can kill them in IDW2.

11. Chromia76

Chromia76 Well-Known Member

The giant purple and gold bot is Leviathan. She's shown up in a few issues.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    yeah I just hate the rough sketch aesthetic that has become the current flavour for American comic artists these days.

13. Astrotrain52

Astrotrain52 Former Green Kool-aider

News Credits:
    Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn’t. Much of it has to do with the inking job as well. Look at New52 Batman. Jonathan Glapion was just as important to the artwork as Greg Capullo.

Usually completely digital art looks soulless compared to a penciller that will actually sketch on a slanted desk and used real materials. The final product always, always looks better

14. AzT

AzT Moderator News Staff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  15. WolverineDragon

WolverineDragon Brother Lombax

Still waiting for a sonic and transformers comic crossover

16. F Prime

F Prime New Member

I may be way off since I havne't read this cross-over, but I'm assuming this isn't in the same universe as Galaxies. The cloning is probably a G1 Sunbow/Dreamwave callback.

17. Cardion

Cardion A Knock Off The Old Block

News Credits:
    It's cute. My nieces love this. Glad they are thinking about audiences beyond the gatekeepers.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Warpshard

Warpshard Well-Known Member

I really need to read the My Little Pony X Transformers crossovers. The writing and the art are so charming. That little sequence with Spike and the Dinobots is so cute.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Dark_T_Zeratul

Dark_T_Zeratul Well-Known Member

The 4-armed thing is an alien that's been living on Cybertron.
    As for the Insecticons, they couldn't clone themselves in Galaxies. Since then, however, they've stolen the secrets of cloning from Shockwave.

20. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    I do like the artwork of the My Little Pony X Transformers comics. Those are the designs I like.

[​IMG]

As opposed to Beast Wars which deserves far far better.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2