IDW’s Transformers Comics Solicitations: February 2021

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by AzT, Nov 20, 2020.

1. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Even if you don\'t like the style... Josh is one of us. At this point, that\'s all I care about... If the people working on the comics actually know about Transformers.

• Like Like x 2
  2. sunsetface

sunsetface Member

I love Mr.Burcham\'s style but I feel like Beast Wars needs smoother and organic aesthetic than hard lines and edges. I will read the comic anyways :) 

3. Novaburnhilde

Novaburnhilde Destron Enforcer

News Credits:
    Josh probably has one of my favorite styles among Transformers artists, very stylized and sleek. He's also a really rad dude from what I've seen, glad to see him get an ongoing gig.

For whatever reason his style gives me hardcore Samurai Jack vibes, which I dig.

• Like Like x 5
  4. shadowapook

shadowapook Active Member

I\'m a big fan of Josh\'s work, and I\'m always up for more Beast Wars!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    Comic books should be judged on the quality of the story and art, not who the writer and artist are as people. There are writers and artists that have produced work I like, but I don’t like everything they’ve done. Same with movie makers, game developers and musicians.

6. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    That's not what I mean. I like Josh from here, but I was more referring to the fact that as a Transformers fan he has more knowledge and presumably knows more about what makes the property work than say, Bryan Ruckley, to name a name.

• Like Like x 2
  7. BattleGurijiba

BattleGurijiba One Radical Dudicus

I mean, I like this art style, so I’m excited for it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. IDWDrift

IDWDrift Well-Known Member

YouTube (Legacy):
    So, batboy\'s name is Nyx? Kinda strange. I may have read it wrong. 

9. BattleGurijiba

BattleGurijiba One Radical Dudicus

*batgirl
    Short for Onyx I suppose.

• Like Like x 1
  10. omegafix

omegafix Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    UGH!

11. Nova Maximus

Nova Maximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    HUZZAH!

12. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    Well, if he uses the same, terrible style for the comic, as he has for that cover, I have easily saved myself some money.

I couldn't care less if he was the most popular person at the site; I still think his style looks pug-ugly.

13. BigRed

BigRed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I can't say I agree. The Christmas Special comic has awful and boring composition that to me was only passable because it was a comedic story anyway, but everything I've from him otherwise is subpar and weak, Feels like someone that stared too hard at Derrick Wyatt and Nick Roche drawings but didn't manage to more than a surface idea of why they work

I LOVE stylized stuff, if I had it my way nearly every TF comic would be handled by a different artist with his own designs for the sake of visual variety, but Josh is just not great

14. AzT

AzT Moderator News Staff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    https://twitter.com/jcburcham/status/1333955103775133696

• Like Like x 1
  15. THE-TRANSFORMER

THE-TRANSFORMER Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Just an FYI, Josh was posting in the Fanart forums long before Animated and even before Nick Roche was mainstream.

He started out pretty bad until he evolved and perfected his style. Not to mention the obvious point of his colouring improving out of sight.

So while you may think he's not as good as Roche or Wyatt, he certainly didn't start out trying to copy them.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Zentropy

Zentropy Toys > Fiction

The Damned Flatlands. (I need mountains!)
    On the advice of a member here, I'm currently trying to warm up to the Beast Wars cartoon, which is a series I never watched. I know it has a strong following and the writing is well-regarded, so I'm trying to get into it. If I'm honest, the art style / visual presentation is the biggest barrier for me gaining interest. It does seem well-written, but the character designs are clumsy and really difficult for me to appreciate. My entire life I've had an aversion to puppets and stage-style acting, and BW just feels like a poorly animated puppet show to me, complete with cardboard-painted backgrounds and a spartan stage. I'm really struggling to get through it, but I want to at least give the first season a go.

On that note, the art of this comic seems like a comparative breath of fresh air, at least based on the cover. I mean, it's not Milne or Su, but it looks fun. I can see why original BW purists might feel differently, given the very stylized art, but to me it's interesting and appealing in a quirky, whimsical way. I'm really struggling with the awkward presentation of the original show, but I could get into this. It might be my ticket into this TF universe, even if the traditional BW fans don't end up fully accepting it.

17. AzT

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  18. AzT

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Trooper028

Trooper028 Well-Known Member

I wonder how far in the past they've gone this time? 4 million years? Or just several thousand?

I'm just thinking that well in mythology shapeshifting (and talking) animals are a thing. Every culture has some form of animal symbolism. Maybe they could do a Beast Wars where some events inspire various animal myths. I got a book on insect mythology a while back and it gives me ideas for what they could do with Waspinator.

The Wasp in some African traditions symbolizes evolution and control over other forms of life, Order within community, and also evil.

South American Indians the Wasp is a Culture Hero who taught people pottery and house building
    Mayan: the wasp was a major figure in the heavens with Venus being called Xux Ek or the "Wasp Star" and seen as a powerful celestial warrior sacrificer.

...there is something hilarious about the idea of Waspinator inventing pottery (probably by accident/started as as a hobby) and teaching it to humans. As for house building think of all the amusing injuries he could suffer showing them what NOT to do. And well Waspinator certainly "sacrifices" himself a lot.

Ant: symbolizes industry, hardworking, organization, community, patriotism, virtue, order, and the tireless servant

...ignoring his pyromania this does sound like Inferno: he's loyal and single-minded in his service to his colony

• Like Like x 1
  20. AzT

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 6