IDW’s Transformers (2019) Series: More Cover Art Revealed

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by B u m b l e b e e, Feb 16, 2019.

1. combinerlover

combinerlover ToiletTroop/ShedHead fan boy

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Interesting ...

2. Flash1087

Flash1087 Department of False Hope

Ebay:
    One thing I've been wondering about the new comic is how they're going to include the Battlemasters, if they do at all. Considering this little dude's design and height I gotta wonder if maybe he's going to be part of whatever sub-class/race they introduce the smaller Battlemasters and Micromasters into? "Rubble" could easily be the name of a guy that turns into something like a hammer or shovel or something, since a lot of the Battlemasters seem to be considered 'tools' by the other Transformers (not unlike the 'disposable' class from IDW).

• Like Like x 1
  3. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

Interesting.

4. Darth Gonzo

Darth Gonzo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I heard someone say Windblade might be Cybertronian and not Camien, is that true or not?

5. Superhans

Superhans Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If the reference to “organic” life on Cybertron means we get Beast Wars characters as part of WFC part 2 or 3, I am well in support of that.

6. Berser Car

Berser Car Cryptid member

Tumblr:
    Well, when she was created as result of the polls, one of the options was her city of origin (Kaon was voted). One would expect all continuities that all continuities (other than IDW, that placed all females in colonies) would set her origin there. I was surprised Cyberverse made her Camien again.

7. optimusmegas

optimusmegas Target-Power-Titan-Prime-Battle-Master

Ebay:
    and that's really it....his whole thing was that he was stupid.....not stupid and endearing...not stupid but caring...not stupid but lovable...just..stupid.

as much as i hate some of his other OCs i can still run down his list and find a unique reason for them existing. riptide was just there and took up space by being just there and that's ultimately the worst reason for any OC to exist. other than to mary sue their way through the story...which if rubble is that than fuck this character.
    he had riptide on the lost light LONG before the reboot notice came down. he had opportunities to make something out of riptide and he never did. he didn't try his best with riptide...he tried nothing with riptide.

8. simpatico

simpatico Intern for Straxus

Why is there pressure for every OC to be super crucial to the story? He added something by actually being a character fans hadn't already known for like 30 years. Beyond that, he was a pretty inoffensive supporting character along the lines of say Thunderclash or Pipes. He clearly wasn't a Mary Sue, so I don't get why it matters that he was newly made up instead of being some Action-Micromaster with a Pretender shell from the tail end of G1.

• Like Like x 5
  9. optimusmegas

Ebay:
    i didn't say he had to be crucial to the story just to add something unique to justify the point of him existing. even the OC characters i hated from JR's run had something about them no one else in the book had. riptide was just there. i mean what's the point of creating someone from scratch that contributes nothing remotely unique to the story? again.....anyone could have filled his role. it's well known that roberts wanted to use bluestreak from the get go but couldn't since he was used (if you want to call it that) in RID so he used swerve in his place. riptide was introduced in season 2 as a new crew member along with bluestreak. everything riptide did bluestreak could have done. but that's not what happened. we have riptide instead who never justified his existence. nothing he did couldn't have been done by someone else and have us know nothing about him contributed what to the story? what about him being a brand new character with no prior history made any difference? if all we needed from him was an aquatic alt mode to escape scraplets (since that's the only thing that made him "necessary" was his alt mode) why not just use waverider? if he was replaced by waverider, who was on the lost light already and has a small history in IDW, what difference would it have made? none....and that's the point. at the end of the day him being an OC made no difference to the story so what even was his point?

there's like 200 members on the lost light. how many of them were there just to fill background shots? how many others were barely a cameo? how many of them could have used a little page time who also barely have history in marvel or marvel uk? plenty....so why make up an OC that does nothing unique to justify his creation?

10. Digger

Digger Collecting with the goal of no end

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Fucking Christ. Look we get it. @optimusmegas and other folks don’t like riptide. @simpatico and other folks like him. Move on. I’m out.

• Like Like x 3
  11. optimusmegas

Ebay:
    people are quoting me and asking and i'm answering. you don't like it? use the ignore button.

12. Digger

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Well no you don’t deserve that. And it’s not just you. It’s generally people who are just going on these debates over riptide relevance or not. Both of them missing important information. And it’s overall unnecessary since this is just some lacking reveal about an original comic character update. Like why does this exist anymore than it should?

13. optimusmegas

Ebay:
    i guess i underestimated the rabid fanbase of riptide....

my whole point is that if the OC doesn't have something unique to contribute then why bother making one at all? if rubble is nothing but audience proxy then that's kind of pointless too. it's a new continuity with no previous baggage so literally anyone could fill that role leaving him just as pointless, imo, as riptide turned out to be.

however, if he's written to be something interesting i'm all for it...aileron for example wasn't all that unique but i thought she was fleshed out really well. i'm all for creating new characters but they have to have something about them. a unique ability...or a good story to go on to justify them being used over hundreds of transformers that already have fans or have very very little in the way of previous stories. i felt riptide had neither of those things rendering him pointless and that's the fault of roberts not the character. for all i know riptide could be used again in this new series and i'll enjoy what they do with him. but as of now he was just a waste.

and that's my final say on riptide.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Digger

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Thank you. That’s exactly what I needed. And I get what you mean man. Awesome.

15. Grimlock528

Grimlock528 Well-Known Member

I think back to the marvel days (not TF, but Marvel proper) where creators were required to create characters. Could really be a situation where IDW or Hasbro require it.
    Or maybe Roberts just liked his OC enough to add him?
    Who knows.

16. TeamOptimus

TeamOptimus Well-Known Member

What if Megatron is a serial killer in the beginning of the series? He’s like the Joker and wants chaos instead of order, so he starts killing people to upset the balance.

17. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    I've not read much about the new comics, want to go in knowing as little as possible, but has Rubble been confirmed as a dude? I'm just thing those are some lovely lips. Or maybe Overlord has competition. Either way Rubble looks rather sweet. Happy to welcome them to the big Transformers family (please don't die)
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. AzT

AzT Moderator News Staff TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    David Mariotte on Twitter
    Tom Waltz on Twitter
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  19. GoLion

GoLion Banned

News Credits:
  20. JusticeGuy

JusticeGuy New Member

Hmm, design wise, he's the same criticism that most IDW bots have, that being that are robots with vehicle parts plastered on. But, since he's just been born, I'll give him a pass, and hope he get's a redesign that make him look like a transforming robot later on. Other then that, I'm kinda neutral on this guy.