Minor/Repaint: Idea: Botcon Gigatron/Overlord Mod

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Prime Aspect, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Prime Aspect

Prime Aspect Visual Synthesis Engineer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had an idea for the upcoming Botcon Gigatron/Overlord. What if, instead of samurai accessories, he could be made to look more Roman? Two parts to this:

I put together some quick papercraft coverings for his chest and loincloth area that look more like Roman Lorica Segmentata armor.
    [​IMG]

Second, I quickly prototyped up a galdius to replace the wakizashi, and a pilum (spear) to replace the Katana. The pilum consists of a spear base, a handle that slides up and down the base, and an end-cap to stop the handle from coming off.
    [​IMG]

By sliding the handle all the way down the base, the spear fits in just like the Katana would. At this point, either the handle could be resculpted to look like a tank barrel end, or a cover piece (a la HeadRobots Blood) could be slipped over it.

[​IMG]

And, all together now:
    [​IMG]

Because I'm spending all my time available for these kind of projects on a Shapeways printed Kranix, I don't have any more time to put into this, nor do I have the talent to make the armor in anything other than papercraft. :D  So, if anyone wants to the the idea and run with it, especially if you can have pieces to sell at Botcon, I'll be first in line to buy.

Attached Files:

2. 'purple-bot'

'purple-bot' Well-Known Member

Its a cool concept, i had a similar idea, but im gonna wait until i get my gigatron. not a fan of the bludgeon chest for gigatron. cant wait to see show it comes out.
    if you can get it to attach without modding the base figure, you could cast the parts and sell it as an upgrade kit

3. Prime Aspect

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I play with 3d modeling as a hobby, so Shapeways printing is all I can do. Making something to fit over the chest properly and look good is beyond my current skills, but there is room when in tank mode for an attached chest and torso piece, so it is definitely possible for someone with the talent to sculpt it. Also, the screws to remove the existing chest piece look to be impossible to get to without removing the whole turret, which is pretty securely attached. With all that, an attached piese is fgoing to be much better than a replacement chest. The torso/loincloth piece is held in place with just a pin, so that would be much easier to remove if needed.

4. Spyne98

Spyne98 Host of the Rock Nerd Radio Show

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice idea!

5. Notilator

Notilator Xenomorph4

Love the idea of it being roman just like his face was ment to be :D  it's genius, having him be a samurai was a cool idea, but this just makes waaaaaay more sense :thumbs2: 

6. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

News Credits:
    My homemade overlord (from the same mold as bludgeon) i'm going to attempt to make a junker nightstick minicon his power master battery or something like this. This is deffinitely a epic concept mate, great job :thumb 

7. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    Give him a shield and your in business.

8. Prime Aspect

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    A shield would definitely suit the concept well, but I couldn't think of a way to make it work in in tank mode, so I went for sword & spear rather than sword & shield. Sword & spear was used by roman infantry, so it works this way too.

9. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

I like the idea of a Roman transformer.