I'd like to see a return of Action Masters.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Bass X0, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Bass X0

Bass X0 Captain Commando

News Credits:
    No, don't dismiss the topic yet.

I want to see repaints of the original Action Masters packaged in Autobot Vs. Decepticon packs like Robot Heroes are. No vehicles, no partners, just the basic robot and their small handheld weapon in show accurate colors. They would be marketed like Robot Heroes are and not the main line like they were originally.

WAVE ONE
    Optimus Prime vs. Megatron
    Grimlock vs. Devastator
    Jazz vs. Starscream
    Bumblebee vs. Bombshell

WAVE TWO
    Blaster vs. Soundwave
    Prowl vs. Shockwave
    Sideswipe vs. Skywarp
    Wheeljack vs. Thundercracker

2. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Eh. But what for?

Robot Heroes, while not my thing, = teh cute. So articulation, accuracy, or transformation needed.

And Classics gives us most of the characters above w/ both articulation and accuracy. And transformations, of course.

Beyond just not liking AM, I'm not sure what either the fans or the public would get out of this.

3. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    the thing with action masters used to be that, they were more articulated than the average g1 brick.

its the not case anymore ever since g2 with the use of ball joints, so AM, as articulated action figures are redundant.

also, the point of AMs were to interact with accessories/vehicles (like MASK for instance) so AMs on their own are redundant. ooh theres that word again.

4. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I just want some G1 Robot Replicas.

5. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As i've said in a similar thread a while back. even tho i'm not a fan of the AM at all, if Hasbro ever try having a go at it the 2nd time.

They should try & take a cue from Kaiyodo great Revoltech series. maybe it might just work...

6. Red leader

Red leader Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It would be nice if they did it with the 25th Joe type make over but asking for the originals to be released again is like asking for polio back

7. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The originals aren't like, horrible horrible toys- some of them were pretty cool robot figures. :D 

That said, they're also brutally trumped by today's toy engineering, and don't really have "well at least they transform" to fall back on either. :(  I wouldn't mind seeing the concept re-done, though not in the it's-not-a-Revoltech style the movie line attempted. Leave that stuff to the guys that invented it. ;) 

8. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

don't we got plenty of super, not transforming, transformers, as there is? do we really, need/want, more?

9. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Browsing/Not Buying

I was completely done with Transformers when Action Masters came out so I have absolutely no experience with them. Articulation wise, were talking like head, shoulders, hips, and knees right? Looking at pictures of them, maybe I would've thought they were cool when I was 7 but they get a fat "pass" in my book.

My Revoltech Prime has answered all my wishes for a non-transforming "animation-accurate" articulated (Optimus Prime) figure.

10. 1987olds442

1987olds442 Cam Maximus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Well wasn't there word that Hasbro is going to make a few Marvel Legend Transformer figures? I've been hoping for that ever since Hasbro got the rights for the ML line. Just imagine the BAF figures... like Omega and all the combiners...

11. Leemon

Leemon Yar, spare sum fuel mate?

News Credits:
    If they ever touch anything from Action Masters, I only want one thing. A Classics (transforming) Banzai-Tron.

That's it. Thank you, very much. We're closed.

12. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

...but they make Revoltech TFs

Wouldn't that be exactly the same?

13. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

None for me. There's plenty of better ideas to execute before this one.

14. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

You've got that backwards. It's just SWTF with Marvel characters. EX. Vemon transforms into a jeep, Ironman transforms into a jet, and so on.

15. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    I think Action Masters were and are underrated. The articulation was excellent for the time, and the concept could be vastly improved with today's technology. I think if they had come out earlier, say, 1986, they could have been like a toon accurate subline and done really well.

I would be down for a revival of the concept. I mean, it's basically Revoltech, and Revoltech-style would be the best way to do it...but perhaps make them a little bigger, and not modeled off of Pat Lee designs.

Also, I think to be Action Masters they should retain the transforming partners, but thought out more logically. In other words, don't give Jazz a transforming skateboard or Prowl a motorcycle. Have a transforming Laserbeak/Ravage to go with Soundwave. Give Hot Rod a transforming Targetmaster partner. Make Roller turn into, I don't know, a jetpack or something for Optimus. Also, perhaps make small elements of them transform, but not fully into an alt mode. Think Sideswipe and Rumble with their piledriver arms.

16. butz

butz slippery when wet

I'd rather see them take some of the new characters created for Action Masters, and make actual transforming figures for them. Some of them its a little hard to tell what they would've turned into, but others would be pretty obvious; for example, Skyfall would be a jet, Rollout some kinda front end loader/construction vehicle, Jackpot was obviously some type of car, etc.
    No idea what characters like Krok might be (name would suggest a robot crocodile, but he appears to have a cockpit on his chest?) but I'm sure they could come up with something neat.
    I'd also like to see them revisit some of the Action Master partners (perhaps some of them mini-con style, minus the activating action features on the bigger figures aspect) to go with regular TF figures (for example, like the jetski trailer thingy that Classics Bumblebee comes with, that can also be an optional backpack for him).
    As for re-releasing the originals, they were neat, but they're so thoroughly dwarfed by what can be done now with modern transforming Transformers, that I couldn't see it working unless they were just a pack-in with a regular TF figure. That'd be neat, but can't see them doing it.

17. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Those cost more than I'd want to pay for them, and I really don't like the sculpts. Besides, there's no RT Wheeljack.

18. 1987olds442

1987olds442 Cam Maximus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Custom URL):
    Okay how is that backwards? You're talking about a completely different line of transformers. I was talking about Marvel Legends series of Transformers...

CoolToyReview

19. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

My guess, that's just a bad title refering to the Marvel Transformers. As there are indeed 8 of the Marvel Transformers planned and three of them have already been announced.

As I seriously don't think they're making Marvel Legend style transformers...