I'd buy two of that... ?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Severus, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

Just curiosity on my part: I see various posts in reference to new toys from people saying that they'd buy two (or three, or four) of that toy. What purpose do those of you have who say this? Is it just to show your support? One to keep and one to open? Troopbuilding? One for different locations? You like looking at multiples? Or is it just exaggeration?

I've seen mention of this for MP Starscream (if he was in the right colors) and for various Classics figures. Any help here?

2. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

Sell them when they become scarce to make a huge profit

Buy more than one so you can have one MISB MOSC and one for display/play purposes

they are bastards who want to hoard them all for themselves so others have none

Yup these three reasons sum it up pretty good.

Oh as a runner up, they are purchasing for a friend like i did with Classics screamer.

3. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I often buy more than one of a toy I really like, even though I don't do the MISB thing. My intent is to have one to fiddle with and another to keep nice for display. It doesn't always work out that way for me though.

4. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I have two of several alternators, I keep extras around for parts if one gets broken or I screw up a kitbash.

5. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Some people but two so they can display one in robot mode and one in vehicle mode. Me personally, I only buy one of each figure, unless a cool repaint comes out...

6. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I only buy one of each for now because I can't afford more, but ideally I'd want two, one to keep MISB, one to open.

7. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    I'm tempted to buy two of each Classics, one to open up, the other to keep sealed. If they ever Reissue the Dinobots I will for sure scrounge up enough money to buy three of each...one to keep sealed, one to display in Dino mode, and the other to display in robot mode.

8. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    One of each for me please. I only get a second if there's something wrong with the first. (I'm running out of room fast & oh and I keep the wrong one for spares.)

9. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I hate assholes who do that. buy multiples of the same figure. its like leave one for someone else shit bag. I did get a guy to give me a figure he was going to buy two of though. I dont think he wanted to have his face ruined that night.

10. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy Well-Known Member

I buy one of each repaint and all, I keep some of my repaints MIB but some I open depends, for example i oped my Excellion but not Hot Shot and open CD Hot Shot i would love to be able to buy 2 of each but i cant afford it right now trying to catch up for the past 2 years.

11. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

:peoples: 

Yes, damn those people who dare buy two of something produced in the hundreds of thousands. :redface2: 

12. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

Yes theyre produced in large numbers throughout the country, but usually there are only one or two at any given store. and dont tell me its not annoying.. ( I dont know if its ever happened to you.) when you walk into a store, and see some fat, smelly, cheeto eatting loser, with 2 of the same toy walking towards the cash register.
    Its annoying.

13. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I buy multiples of Starscream. At least one to play with/display and one MISB. Sometimes more if there are package variations, but that can be hard for me to justify sometimes.

14. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I never buy multiples of the same toy. Always seemed like a waste to me.

15. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    IF I like the toy AND it lends itself to having more than one, I'll get lots of 'em.

I've got TONS of duplicates and triplicates of the Energon Autobots (to make the various combinations), and about 15-20 each of the different Terrorcons. The WMs here were blowing out the Energon basic 2-packs for $3 each, so I cleaned out a couple of stores.

And no, I don't feel bad about doing that - they weren't for resale, they were on clearance, and there were dozens of them there, so it's not like people were lining up for Tickle Me Elmo and I got the last one.

16. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Yep, that basically sums it up for me. I'd like to buy more than 1 sometimes, but it's rare. That's why I think Hasbro decided to come up BOGO packs (3 Armorhides baby, yeah! 2 for customs and 1 for display)

17. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

The only reason I didn't get the Vector Prime/Starscream 2-pack was cause I already had a Vector Prime.

Oh how I wish I had gotten it anyway.

18. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

I rarely do it, but I've bought two of each Alt save for Swerve and Nemesis Prime.

If I really, really like a figure.....like Cyberton Hot Shot......then I'll buy two and keep it sealed.

19. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I sometimes buy multiples for several reasons:

1) I like the mold and want to show support for it by voting with my wallet. Instead of buying one of every mold, no matter how craptacular it is, I buy multiples of the ones I really like.

2) Nearly every duplicate I buy will either be kept MISB or repainted/bashed at some point. Except for dinos. Those go into the general herd cause I've got a dino fetish.

3) Because I'm a giant ass that likes to piss people off.

OK, so number three isn't true, it's just a gut reaction to the knee-jerk responses that inevitably come from threads like this. Some people can't conceive of a reason for buying multiples, and so, decide that if you are buying multiples, you must be a giant selfish prick that doesn't ever do anything positive and spends all his time trying to find ways to stuff more cheetos down your gullet.

I mean, I've seen the bastards try to take every copy of a certain toy off the shelf and run to the front the second they get put out. Those people bother me slightly, but whatever. I follow a simple set of rules.

1) Buy one at a time of a mold at brick and mortor stores unless that particular mold is already on clearance, indicating that it isn't desired by others in the local area. Then limit myself to two.

2) Don't buy multiples of hard to find molds unless I absolutely HAVE to do a certain repaint because it's just driving me nuts.

3) If I want to troop build, I only allow myself one of whatever I'm troop building per other toy I'm buying. This slows down the troop building for myself, and assures I leave plenty for others.

And there's some other minor ones, but that covers the basics.

It's sort of sad that I feel the need to defend myself and my right to buy multiples of a mold every time a thread like this comes around. I mean, this hobby we have isn't exactly an altruistic one, yet if we dare buy two of something instead of one we're RUINING THE HOBBY! OH NOES!

Why don't we all just accept we each have different collecting goals and leave it at that. Unless we plan on buying up stock of recently released toys and reselling them for ridiculous markup, what's the big deal?

20. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

Im not saying people shouldnt buy doubles. do it. cool. but wait a couple of weeks before you buy the second one. so other people can get one.