Ian Failes article on how ILM's transformations have improved over time

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Moy, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
  2. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Yes, please keep doing this. I have no idea what you guys were thinking regarding AOE/TLK designs. Though, to be fair, that was probably the fault of the director, not ILM.

• Like Like x 22
  3. Bob 121

Bob 121 Well-Known Member

This movie had the worst transformations on screen (Excluding AOE's "transformium" bullshit). There was a whole lot of bogus transformations going on before the final film was even released. The very first trailer has Blitzwing's cockpit just shift right through the nose of the place to form his chest. And there was a trailer with Bee transforming where the entire front of the VW gets sucked into a black hole in his chest. EVen on my first viewing of those trailers the cheating was so blatant and in your face I could just see the budget cuts compared to the last few movies.

• Like Like x 7
  4. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Yeah, unfortunately I'm inclined to agree. Large parts of the vehicle mode just seem to disappear into nothing at times.

This idea that a transformation should work differently every time does make for variety, but it's a questionable approach to have animators trying to outdo each other constantly reinventing the wheel. It tends to result in transformations that are less carefully thought out.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Ryan101

Ryan101 That Dude

News Credits:
    I’d love a documentary on this stuff, I find it so interesting!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Galvatross

Galvatross Make TFW2005 Shrektastic Again! Veteran

Personally, I thought the AoE/TLK designs and AoE cube transformations were some of the best damn things in film franchise. The former were usually more colorful and distinctive and visually Shrek-spressive than the first trilogy designs, and simpler transformations made sense for human-made Transformers, plus it looks cool as heck and made their transformations indicate a robot was made my humans and not of Cybertronian origin.

Although Shatter's design is also really Shrektastic. And Bee's design is a nice mix between the Bay movies and G1.

That said, the transformations and designs have never been an issue for me in any of the films.

• Like Like x 6
  7. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    I just wish ILM would finish the designs well ahead of toy production, that way the toys are based on finalized designs, not concept art.

• Like Like x 12
  8. Azuzu98

Azuzu98 Whatever

News Credits:
    One thing that bugged me the most, aside from bumblebee' cheaty-as-hell-transformation is how the aircraft parts of shatter and dropkick come out of nowhere,like,literally. You can see what I mean in this video, around the 8th second.

Dropkick's big-ass rotor just pop out from his back like it's nothing, which should be impossible to fit into his back. Also shatter's wings extend, just like that. The mass shifting is real here! Although that's my only issue regarding this duo's transformation. Their transformations from robot to car are great.

• Like Like x 3
  9. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's not really practical, considering the toy design itself is roughly a year-long process. A lot of the designs will change as the movie development progresses for any number of reasons, from hardware constraints, to readability, to changes in script/characterization.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Yea but this is how the Studio Series figures for the Bumblebee movie figures turned out as inaccurate as they did. I get the arguments for and against. Personally I wish Hasbro waited even after the movie was already released to home video for accurate figures and I get why they went ahead, to strike while the iron is hot. However it's kind of backwards when the Studio Series line aimed for accuracy from the outset.

I get it, just disappointed at how some things turned out

• Like Like x 2
  11. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Now that's blu ray I would buy! I wanted to see Rampage and others transform.

• Like Like x 1
  12. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    As far as I’m concerned all of Bays’ films have had ridiculous transformations.

Probably why HasTak has such a hard time with MPM’s.

I at least appreciate how this film seemed had more transformations than other films.

• Like Like x 2
  13. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi What’s my age again?

News Credits:
    Great read! I love reading about behind the scene stuff since they tend to be more interesting than the movie itself.

I agree so much with this. As weird as it sounds, if SS Dropkick and Shatter were put into the Bee line instead I would’ve had an easier time swallowing their inaccuracy.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Did Age of Extinction never happen or...?

Ignoring Transformium, Bumblebee and Optimus’ first forms were literally the only attempts to have Transformers that looked like they could shift between two forms and the Transformation scenes definitely reflected that.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Red Goblin

Red Goblin Veteran

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    God, I forgot how crap the CG was.

• Like Like x 5
  16. ObakaChanTachi

ObakaChanTachi What’s my age again?

News Credits:
    Same, also, that aspect ratio.

God was AOE that awful? It doesn’t look as bad here as in TLK, but still, Bay not being able to make up his mind on a consistent ratio like the past 3 films, or even edit them for damns sake, shows pure laziness and unprofessionalism.

17. Red Goblin

Red Goblin Veteran

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    It's not laziness, most of the scenes were shot with IMAX cameras so the ratio is bigger.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Diecast G2

Diecast G2 Transtectorless

News Credits:

Yes, but we must constantly praise Bumblebee for being a flawless G1 movie because it pandered to us for like 4 minutes.

Decent flick or not, so much praise is happening just because Volkswagen.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Starscream Gaga

Starscream Gaga Protoformed This Way

News Credits:
    Those 4 minutes were fun, but there is so much more to love about Bumblebee as an improvement of the franchise as a whole, not just nostalgia. Pretending that its praise is mostly because of that is disingenuous.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Digger

Digger Spreading peace, love and reasonable explanations

Twitter:
    I’d have to agree. Regardless of the realism the transformations in the films always looked really cool and that’s what I loved it. I love bumblebee even more cause they made some amazing transformations that create seemingly possible designs but we also get to see them change a lot and do some fun things with it.
    I think they should do the opposite. I’d gladly wait a while after the film is done and finished so they can make proper figures. Cause MPM-07 is still out there and I can’t stop staring at it with supreme disappointment.

• Like Like x 3