I would like to sit down and talk to DC about a Justice League movie.....

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by PRIMEMAN3457, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

With the exception of Widow and hawkeye everyone who is operating at strictly superhuman levels was superhuman thx to SS serum, Tech, SS serum + Gamma, or being a member of a species that is superhuman by default.

The two non superhumans didn't have Jobber Aura like comicbook and toon Bats gets. What's jobber aura? It's when despite severe, severe disadvantages the character almost always wins or hold their own.

Hell 616 Cap often gets Jobber Aura too but there was none of that in either of his Movie Appearances he was clearly outmatched by a non serious loki but operated somewhere above nolan verse batman

I think Nolan verse batman can work in a wider JL world just leave out the jobber aura and don't have him soloing those he has no business soloing.

2. nobleboivin

nobleboivin Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Didn't they make animated movies? Also I heard that they were planning on some live action series, one with the teen titans, so maybe a live action series will lead to a movie like what they did with Firefly and X Files

3. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

That's the Billion Dollar question: After Bale's time as Batman comes to a close, who could/would be next to portray the Dark Knight?

Who could convincingly portray a live-action version of Arkham Asylum/City Batman? I wish I had the answer for that one.

4. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Michael Fassenbender could work though Marvel's got him as Magneto.

5. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Obviously there's contract details and whatnot that we're not privy to, but it hasn't stopped the two rivals before:

Halle Barry, James Marsden, Tommy Lee Jones, Ryan Reynolds and even a few other actors who played (most of the time, bit parts) in both Marvel and DC films.

But yes, Fassbender as Batman would be great. And Jon Hamm as Superman, please. :D  (Sorry, I saw that fan-cast on an entertainment show a while back and I love Jon Hamm...)

6. -Superion-

-Superion- Well-Known Member

Jon Hamm played Howard Stark in that retro video Tony Stark watched in Iron Man 2, wasn't he?

7. PRIMEMAN3457

PRIMEMAN3457 Leader

News Credits:
    First off, sorry, but we already have an actor for Superman. Thanks for sharing fan-cast though.

Anyway, I could see Fassbender be Batman. He was great as Magneto. But the only problem I can see is not with the actor himself, but with the fanbase of Marvel and DC possibly trying to fight him over, like what went on with Ryan Reynolds.

8. PRIMEMAN3457

PRIMEMAN3457 Leader

News Credits:
    That was John Slattery portraying Tony Stark in Iron Man 2.

9. TylerMirage

TylerMirage I vawnt my berdt.

News Credits:
    Yeah...I know Superman's already been cast. :lol  Hence my "fan-cast" comment.

And completely agree with the second part. The fanbases would raise the most stink.

And as PRIMEMAN said, yeah, John Slattery.

10. PRIMEMAN3457

PRIMEMAN3457 Leader

News Credits:
    Many animated series and films were made.

But making animated films are very different and less complex then live-action.

11. ABH1979

No doubt. I've got such a man-crush on that man, lol. He really is pretty awesome.

12. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Justice League can't happen.

Batman and Superman are the only two audience-drawing movie properties from DC that Warner Bros. can bank on, and Superman is "iffy" at that. Green Lantern bombed hardcore, The Flash isn't nearly a big enough character to risk the budget on, and no one is willing to risk a female super hero movie to put the money up front on. That being said, DC and WB would need to use the NEXT Batman movie and the NEXT Superman movie (after Man of Steel) to set up the Justice League. They would need to have Batman and Superman cast roles for the other "big" characters in JL to appear in their movies because there's no way they can have their own movie and see a profit.

Marvel played it perfectly.

Captain America was a hit. Thor wasn't a huge hit, but still successful. The Hulk did okay. And Iron Man has been a blockbuster. Using those four movies and tying them together (introducing the entire idea in Iron Man with Nick Fury, then announcing it at the end of Iron Man 2) and introducing us to the minor characters like Hawkeye in Thor, was perfect.

Marvel crafted magic. DC is aiming for immitation, a cheap knock off if you will, and the result is exactly what it is - a cheap knock off immitation.

Justice League can never happen. And if it does, it'll never be as big, as powerful, or let's face it ... as GOOD as Avengers.

13. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Yes is it can.

And Marvel couldn't exactly have counted on Captain America, Thor or Iron Man being bankable either. Capable direction and good scripts, something DC/WB seem fucking alergic to, were the key.

Captain America made less than 400million world wide, Thor made 450million and Incredible Hulk made 260million. Iron Man 1 and 2 were the big earners.

So A) you got the hit status of Captain America and Thor around the wrong way and B) nether Cap or Hulk exactly went screaming out the gate like a grayhound with a rocket up its arse.

No arguements here, the Avengers Initiative as a whole has been a master stroke.

May I borrow whatever device has given you that clarevoyance, there are some lottery numbers I'd like.

As for the immitation thing, I'm pretty sure that and 'knock off' were words I head bandied around when Google announced Android OS for phones since they only did it after Apple created the iPhone.

Marvel's Avengers was a test case, and a massively successful one at that. It is only natural that their long time rivals will want in on the same action. The only thing stopping DC is their will power to make it happen (and their inability to hire anyone who can write worth a squirt of piss). Maybe they'll bide their time and see how Man of Steel goes over or maybe right now the reason for its delayed release is the stinger that will introduce a new Batman because they've decided "Fuck it. Caution, meet wind".

14. ABH1979

Of course it can, and it will. Now, whether it's successful or not, is completely up to WB.

Can't argue with Superman and Batman being the top of the top, though Wonder Woman also has a huge fan following. For her, they'd need all the right ingredients, one being the right actress and after watching John Carter, I think Lynn Collins would make a perfect Wonder Woman:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

John Carter bombed pretty bad (though I kind of liked it), so she probably won't be returning to the Dejah Thoris character. Lynn's shown that she can do action, is a reasonable actress, and can pull off the regal majesty and warrior spirit at once. That all adds up to Wonder Woman, in my eyes.

The way I see it, Flash is actually more popular (overall) than Green Lantern, and should have gotten a movie first. GL had a great last few years with the Sinestro Corps War and Blackest Night, but before that, was pretty ho-hum. I've never been a fan of GL, though, so I'm not interested in defending the character or the crappy movie.

Marvel did do it perfectly, for them.

I still don't think that a JLA movie needs to go the same way that Avengers did, though. As you said, Batman and Superman are DC's big dogs, so even people who don't know of the JLA (or remember as the "Super Friends") would be willing to see the movie just for the two of them, but at the same time the audience would be exposed to the other JL members. From there, WB can do solo movies for whichever characters gained popularity.

Marvel and DC have been "borrowing" from each other for decades. In fact, when it comes to this subject, the JLA debuted in 1960, with the Avengers coming out 3 years later. That time gap gets even wider when you figure that the Justice League was just an updated version of the Justice Society, which debuted in 1940.

Still, you're not wrong that the average movie-goer would look at the JLA as an Avengers knock-off, simply because it came out first. Which is why WB/DC needs to stop dicking around and put together a fantastic script and blow everyone away.

Avengers was fantastic -- in one viewing it became my fav Marvel movie and one of my favorite comicbook movies. But that doesn't mean that DC/WB should just sit on the sidelines and never try their premier Super-Hero team.

15. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

People, let's be reasonable here, we're all comic book fans, we're going to see whatever PoS the companies decide to push out because we want to like it and we desperately crave any form of medi featuring our favorite characters.

What the general audience wants, what all those non-affiliated, non-fans desire, is something completely different. Something that Marvel has been hit or miss on for the better part of a decade. Look at what happened to the X-Franchise or the Spidey Flicks. They started out strong, and then turned into utter crap, I think First Class really helped proove that a good X-Men movie is still possible in audiences eyes, whether or not Fox can deliver is the big question.

I don't buy into this garbage about Female Super Heroes not being capable of drawing in the crowds, I'm certain a large portion of horny male teenagers will want to see it for eye candy potential alone. That being said, the film makers need to cater to a broader spectrum, if they ever hope to bring about a Wonder Woman, Miss Marvel/Warbird film or any other Super Heroine they need to have the right set of cricumstances to truly make it impressive. Elektra was not that, Catwoman was definitely not that, in fact Catwoman is the entire reason why nobody at WB even wants to think about Wonder Woman I'd wager, mostly because they didn't get it. Seriously, they did not understand why the character flopped big time, they won't accept blame for pushing the project through and they sure as hell aren't willing to see that Catwoman was the worst possible lead heroine to use when making a solo super heroine film.

That being said, Violator, you're deluding yourself if you think the popularity of the comics = popularity among ordinary citizens of the movie going public. These are the people that are keeping a mediocre film series based partially on Capcom's Resident Evil going strong, when the film's themselves stray drastically from the source material and come off as skimpy little survival horror B-Movies with a borrowed video game franchise's name.

These are the people who vote with their wallets, and who loved Micheal Bay's brand of shitty humor in all three Transformers films. These are the people who constantly fuel the demand for bad actors and bad comedies with mediocre crap for jokes rather than support clearly talented artists who actually can act and take their job seriously.

These people are not fans, they don't care about The Flash, for any of them who grew up watching movies they'd probably ask something like... The Flash? Is that the kid from Incredible's adult super hero name?

So if Warner Brothers is going to invest in any DC properties... Well they're going to have to have some really good talent handling them, and someone who can do better than just sit there and act to green screen visuals on the planet of Oa. Green Lantern was a terrible film in the public's eyes, we as comic fans can all agree to that, I'd liken it to Daredevil as far as the ordinary movie going public is concerned.

The comic book fans want these movies, the company however doesn't give a rat's arse what we want, all they care about is how to make a blockbuster film franchise like Nolan's Batman that will bring in the big bucks. And to hell with decent story, actors or plot lines.

16. ABH1979

I know, which is why I said making a Green Lantern film was a terrible idea. General audiences have no idea who GL is, and those who know GL from the JL/JLU 'toon, would only wonder why it's a white guy instead of John Stewart.

Just because the GL character had a good couple of years in comic sales, doesn't mean he would make a good character for a movie. WB screwed up on this one.

You're mostly right, but would you say the Avengers was crap? I think these production companies (at least Paramount) are starting to realize they can't just throw any shit up on the screen and expect it to do well. Yes, sometimes shitty movies make a ton of money, but sometimes the really good movies do just as well, if not better.

Some may not care about the Flash, but I bet when it comes to DC heroes, more people know of the character then a lot of the other characters. He's certainly a bigger name than most of the Avengers (not Captain America or Hulk, but possible Thor [discounting those that know of Norse Mythology]). But again, they don't need to know who the Flash is, especially if they're there to see Superman, Batman and possibly, Wonder Woman.

No arguments here.

I don't really know what your feelings are about the Nolan Bat-movies, so I don't know how to reply to this.

17. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

In regards to casting I'd like to suggest Ryan Gosling as Batman and Gina Carano (or the previously mentioned Lynn Collins) as Wonder Woman.

18. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

A big component to this, I feel, was the lack of a true villain in the film. Green Lantern is someone I'm relatively lukewarm to at best, and I only saw it because I thought the movie would have some really good action scenes with a decent final battle against the villain.

Instead we get roilling yellow gas clouds infecting human scientists with mutation and then to add insult to injury the final battle is so... pathetic. It just brought to home how much of a glorified space cop Hal Jordan really is, phenomenal cosmic power! Shackled by limitations in imagination and creativity.

Paramount has always understood that just slapping a name on it isn't going to get the audiences hungry for more... Or at least I'd like to think they have. Avengers is still going strong. I'm kind of worried Spidey might not manage to outshine them to be honest.

In your opinion, possibly. In fact, I highly doubt it. How has The Flash been a big public figurehead of late? Smallville? I doubt that. I seriously doubt many average people on the street, if you walked up to them and asked, wouldn't know who this Flash person is. The Flash is Third-Tier at best as far as DC heroes go, his big claim to fame is that he can harness the powers of speed, Superman and Batman are pop culture icons, The Flash not so much.

I throughly enjoy both Nolan Bat films, in fact just watched Begins last night and planning to do the same with TDK tonight. I eagerly anticipate the coming of TDKR.

I feel these films are the closest to being really great Bat-films and I especially like the look of James Gordon as an actor, he matches how TAS always portrayed him, alebit much younger. You could almost say this is a live action interpretation of TAS.

My only real issue is that Ra's Al Ghul never once called him 'Detective', I kind of would have liked to have heard Liam Neeson use that line at least once. Sadly Nolan's Batman doesn't seem to be much of a detective, or at least they tend to gloss over a lot of the boring detective work he does, we never saw him taking those photos he handed Rachel in the first movie after all, but somehow he has incriminating photos of the corrupt judge. It's kind of a small nitpick I've got with the films in general, they're fast paced action flicks without very much in the way of actual detecting.

At least Tim Burton's films showed him actively looking up things in files and such during downtimes. Or lulls in the action.

19. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I think a good way to lead into a JLA movie is to start with a Superman/Batman movie and then tease the other members either throughout the movie and have them meet up with one or two of them in the post-credits scene.

20. ABH1979

I think it's fair to say that Green Lantern was basically WB's Fantastic Four movie (pick either one).

Overall, I've only liked the Green Lantern when he's in the Justice League, because as a solo character (or with the GL corps), it's just a boring concept to me. I liken GL to X-Men's Cyclops -- he has a neat power, that works in a team setting, but I'm not interested in his solo adventures.

I don't think Spidey will do better than Avengers, but I'm really excited to see it. I don't really love the Tobey/Raimi Spider-flicks, but this new one looks much better.

I can't speak to Smallville, as I don't care for comicbook properties being translated to teen dramas, so I didn't watch it.

Though, I still think that a lot of people know the Flash as the guy in red that runs fast. That may be all they know, but they would know at least that much. Just like they would know that Aquaman is the guy that talks to fishes, and is generally thought of as a joke. Still, overall, I'd say Flash comes into pop culture recognition after Superman, Batman, Robin, Wonder Woman, Catwoman (and the upper bat-rogues), and Batgirl.

I agree with a lot of this. Though, as much as I love Nolan's Bat-films, they're no B:TAS. Adding a bit more detective elements would have been nice, but I also liked the inclusion of Lucius Fox, and think that if Batman were doing all the sleuthing, there'd be less for Alfred and Lucius to do.

Tim Burton's Bat-movies only work for me on a visual level -- in fact, I prefer movie still images to the movie. He nailed down the look of Batman, Joker and Gotham, but just about everything else (besides the brilliant music) makes me cringe.