I won't get political or religious here, but take a look at this...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Radioactive Ravage, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

World's Last Male Northern White Rhino Placed Under 24-Hour Armed Guard In Kenya

I was just wondering how people cope with the massive scale of human influence upon the natural world. Is it satisfying to be the dominant species on Earth, to envision a future where you try to describe an animal or environment but simply cannot find the words because it no longer exists? Is it okay to succumb to the mundane existence of life and worry about nothing when there is so much wrong with how we treat our planet?

This troubles me greatly and I'm looking to some solace, so I would appreciate any at all you feel interested in contributing. Sorry if I sound like an extremist, but I don't know how else to say it.

2. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yep, they should export all the animals from Africa to some kind of preserve to save them from the Africans.

Pretty much every animal anywhere in the world needs to be in a zoo or preserve.

3. Murasame

Murasame We like to talk big, vampires do

News Credits:
    :( 

4. Timesynch

Timesynch Shoganai Mod Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's a bit more complicated than that, of course. The slaughter wouldn't be happening if there weren't (outside) economic factors exploiting the situation and making it so profitable in the first place. When you're poor and have little other recourse to support yourself and/or your family, poaching seems more and more tempting to make ends meet.

Preserves have their own issues (aquariums being one of them; documentaries like The Cove and Blackfish can shed some light on that issue). Not saying animal conservation isn't an admirable effort, but the driving motivation shouldn't be profit, first and foremost.

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Oh no he's got to go! go go my budget!

News Credits:
    I blame the chinese and those folks in Yemen who still have to have rhino horn for their ceremonial daggers. That said the chinese are by far the lion's share of the market for rhino horn ( and other animal bits) for traditional chinese medicine.

Without the demand the people in african would not bother to hunt the rhino as the risk would outweigh the reward.

6. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

Part of it may have been that it's difficult to discern the difference between a White Rhino and a Northern White Rhino. There's a bit of cognitive dissonance in play when you don't realize that killing that one animal in front of you may be dooming the species to extinction.

7. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    You'd be better off chewing your nails than taking medicine made from Rhino Horn.

8. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    Boulder with only one male Northern white Rhino left the species is functionally extinct already as there is no way to avoid inbreeding.

9. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

There was a an episode of HBO's "Vice" that focused on Rhino poaching last year. They uncovered that the largest market for Rhino horn is actually in Vietnam.

10. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Well, I hate to be the cruel one here, but this happens all the time. It's called Darwinism.

Personally, I don't support the killing of animals by any stretch. But the cold hearted fact is that there always have been animals going extinct and new animals coming on.

It's a very human thing to think we can control what happens, but we cannot. Even when we try to save animals, we do more harm then good. It reminds me of the story of the prince who got a Mouse in his castles and then got a cat to get rid of the mouse, a dog to get rid of the cat, and so forth to an elephant, that could only be rid of by a mouse all over again.

11. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Sad but true.

12. GoLion

GoLion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Aww. That breaks my heart. Such a sad story

13. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

that is not natural.

just sayin

sadly, things come and go, this includes individuals as well as species, planets, stars, gods, etc. that's just life. Things die for many different reasons.

say this rhino dies, or even all rhinos die, it still wouldn't be the end of it, people will just find something else to name valuable and start all over.

They realize they just ended the species right?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  14. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    They need to be giving it daily wanks to preserve its sperm. Stock up on that stuff. Go out and inseminate however many females they can.

15. TFan2013

TFan2013 Energon Seeker

If it's any condolence, it's only a matter of time before aliens appear and hunt us all to extinction too.

16. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    I don't think Darwin had high powered rifles in mind as a means of natural selection.

I see this as an issue of theft. We are stealing from future generations whenever we cause any species to go extinct. Future generations will never be able to enjoy these organisms or derive any benefit from them.

17. Scorpion

Scorpion Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yay!

18. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM Banned

He says survival of the fittest, its not our fault we make things to make us the fittest.

But we have high powered rifles to kill aliens with.

Or the common cold, it works in the movies.

19. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Or water. Don't forget water. I know that it's a M Night shamalaladingdong movie and all. But water. Cause you know aliens would land on a planet covered by 80 water, that rains. Makes perfect sense.

20. grimlock1972

News Credits:
    people humans have hunted multiple species to extinction. The dodo, several sub species of Galapagos Island Giant Tortoise, the passenger Pigeon, The wooly Mammoth and we have nearly hunted many other to extinction. Not to mention those we have driven to extinction or nearly to extinction by destruction of habitat.

No other species on Earth has through its actions has caused so many of its fellow creatures to be wiped out.