I wonder what the temperature and climate is like on cybertron

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by chnkyclnkytrike, Dec 11, 2014.

1. chnkyclnkytrike

chnkyclnkytrike Well-Known Member

Curious something that just popped in my head this morning. Obviously we know they don't need oxygen.

2. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

Buildings and stuff burned on Cybertron....so there's oxygen there.

According to G1 cartoon and WFC/FoC games.

Spike and Chip didn't need special gear or clothes in the G1 cartoon, so it must be reasonable enough for humans. There was also water in a G1 ep, so I guess, it's higher than freezing.

But in Prime, the planet was toxic or didn't have oxygen...don't recall the reason for the spacesuit.

Anything you've seen that would make you think the climate would be bad?

3. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I guess the temperature part would at least partly depend on how far Cybertron is from a/the sun. At the end of the original cartoon, the Decepticons brought Cybertron into Earth's orbit (for the second time in the series). They never stated whether or not Cybertron was still in Earth's orbit when the episode ended. Hmm, maybe Cybertron got a happy ending, but Earth didn't...

4. Sponge

Sponge Herald of Unicron

News Credits:
    Probably non existent, with out an atmosphere the days would be insanely hot and the nights would be insanely cold not to mention threats like, cosmic radiation, space debris, and what would be most devastating is a coronal mass ejection the em interference caused by a solar flare would likely wipe out the transformers if it ever happened

5. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Cloudy with a chance of meatballs...

6. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Cosmic radiation isn't a threat, it gives you superpowers!

7. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    In basically every continuty we've seen, Cybertron has an atmosphere. I have no idea why people perpetuate the idea that it doesn't.

But what's the weather like on Earth? Some places are rainy, some hot, some cold, some wet, some dry. A planet is a HUGE thing so it's climate shouldn't be defined by one biome.

8. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I reckon it'll vary. As said above.
    A friend of mine tried to get a radioactive tiger to bite him so he could get tiger powers. Unfortunately the tiger just ate him instead.

I dunno if the turd of him that got crapped out the other end had any superpowers though.

9. Nubs

Nubs Master-D

My guess is very, very cold in the outer environments.

10. Sponge

Sponge Herald of Unicron

News Credits:
    They have never had to worry about things like drag, and approach vectors during atmospheric re-entry, breathing, natural disasters relating to wind, you can see the stars from the surface regardless of the time of day, tidal action due to the moon, hell unicron ate one of the moons and nothing changed climate wise, as near as I can tell all activity is derived from the planet itself, where on planets with an atmosphere the sun combined with the topology causes wind, and because I've never seen a cloud on cybertron, that wasn't an explosion, the liquid on the planet probably isn't water, because the sun would cause it to evaporate, and that's another thing they've never really addressed what king of sun they orbit, oh and I will say that it's possible they have a very very light atmosphere, either way though you will end up in a similar (if somewhat less extreme) predicament as mercury,

This is all taken from the point of view of realism, and I've seen nothing to indicate cybertron is capable of harboring organic life, and I know in G1, and probably some comics that people have been able to breathe on cybertrons surface, but without a sky, or indication of oxygen production, they shouldn't be able to breathe, and that's besides the point of a low pressure atmospheres effects on temperature and climate, and I haven't even started on the issues the whole planet being made of metal could pose

At the end of the day it's a cartoon/comic, and I don't really expect scientific accuracy, and by no means am I an astrophysicist, but I think have fairly good grasp on the subject, and wouldn't begrudge anyone for fact checking or researching this subject to prove me wrong, because I'm going off of memory, and I'm only human :) 

11. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'm absolutely positive if you ate it, it would give you superpowers!

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    It varies from continuity to continuity.

Most seem to have a breathable atmosphere like in G1, Animated and Cybertron though in Prime it was never confirmed if it had atmosphere but I'd assume it didn't have one because Jack wore a spacesuit the whole time.

13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Because it shouldn't. Whatever we've seen in the fiction, it's hard to shake the lack of logic.

14. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    As a test, apply the same logic to what has been shown of Earth. Especially in G1 I'd suspect Earth would have the same issues yet we know that their Earth would have had an atmosphere.

In a situation like this, we're dealing with a fictional planet design primarily to sell kids toys. Using that as the foundation we see humans having no problems breathing on most of the continuities (Prime being the only one I can recall where they couldn't). The gravity seems to be 1G as no one, human or cybertronian alike mentions any change.

Therefore from a fictional perspective Cybertron is written effectively as an Earth clone with an abundance of iron.

And we can extrapolate from there WHY Cybertron would have a breathable atmosphere. Perhaps O2 is a natural byproduct of Energon creation/production/consumption. Any technobabble explanation can be used to explain WHY we see humans having no issues breathing.
    Why shouldn't it? The Moon has an atmosphere. Mars has an atmosphere. Why WOULDN'T Cybertron? Because you can see the stars? It's night here right now and I can see stars. That doesn't mean Earth lost its atmosphere. The vast majority of planets we are aware of DO have atmosphere so why would Cybertron be any different.

And before you answer that remember that it is already fact that humans are able to breath on Cybertron so it obviously has an oxygen rich atmosphere. Then try to answer the why.

15. E Nice

E Nice Well-Known Member

The sky has what appears to be clouds.
    http://youtu.be/uf1U1Wi4jt0?t=2m16s

Cybertron has aquatic life.
    http://youtu.be/BH6lk0J8VZY?t=6m13s

There have been other episodes where wildlife was shown as well, Dweller in the Depths, I think, and one of the early Headmaster episodes had bats.

As for a planet being made of metal, the episode where the Aerialbots met A-3 showed there was soil. I'm not sure if any others did, but the Dinobots were forced to work in mine pits when Shockwave captured them.

16. Gerth

Gerth Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like the way Rexidus thinks, also, in one episode of G1 (possibly more, I'm not sure) there was acid rain, it was, however, accompanied with a triad of seekers, can't remember if they caused it or not, but that might be considered weather.

17. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    Ah, if only the world thought like super smart and sexy Gerth here. Things would be so much better. :p 

18. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Pretty sure Chip Chase moved around on Cybertron without breathing apparatus or even a coat. But then again, this IS Chip Chase we're talking about. Dude is hardcore.

19. Sponge

Sponge Herald of Unicron

News Credits:
    They are able to breathe in the fiction sure, BUT I EXPLICITLY STATED I WAS LOOKING AT IT FROM A REALISTIC PERSPECTIVE, taking into account the laws which govern existence, and I went out of my way to say its CARTOON, and have you never seen moon landing footage, you can't see the stars in the background because it is DAYTIME and in the suns direct light, the starlight is obscured entirely by the large amount of light being reflected by the moons surface, at night because less light from the sun is hitting the moon you can see them but then you can't film, and on earth diffraction of light through the atmosphere is also why the sky is blue and why you can't see stars in the day, and on cybertron during the DAY, I've never seen a colored sky, look at any planet or moon with a substantial atmosphere from space and you will see WEATHER PATTERNS, the eye on Jupiter, the storms on mars, the striations on Saturn, yet look at mercury, it is BARE, just like cybertron

Oh and funnily enough there is a note on tf wikis cybertron page that says, as have I, that a planet that size would be impossible with the standard model of physics

I enjoy back and forth arguments, but please next time approach from a standpoint of realism, because I wasn't contesting the fiction, merely stating that given all the anecdotal evidence gleans through 30 years of fiction, cybertron in THIS UNIVERSE, could not exist as portrayed in the fiction, so please come up with more compelling arguments than "it's fiction they can do what they want" because that's not at all something I'm contesting

20. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot

News Credits:
    I see it's going to be one of those debates. I have no interest in yelling at a wall.

The fact of the matter is that the writers don't have a solid understanding of physics and thus everything is dictated by the needs of the script.